Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Jack

paulmel

Hi,

Looking to buy a car jack for my new 4.4 Rav (seeing as how Mr. T. has decided not to supply with the new cars ! )

Does anyone know what the minimum lifting height is required to get the wheel off the floor ?

Thanks.

May be this would be ok frm screw fix 97595 ? Just a idea !!!

Hi,

Looking to buy a car jack for my new 4.4 Rav (seeing as how Mr. T. has decided not to supply with the new cars ! )

Does anyone know what the minimum lifting height is required to get the wheel off the floor ?

Thanks.

Ten times safer with trolley jack, Paul........here we go....."but what about the weight / fuel consumption....?" Would love to see calcs as to what it would cost over a year........probably buttons.....offset against faster safer lift.....?

If you don't mind carrying one around (and can find somewhere to put it), a small trolley jack is definitely the thing to go for: safer and less effort to use.

If you jack up under the suspension, near the wheel, then a 9" lift would be ok, and 12" more than adequate. Worth carrying a chunk of hardwood too, around half-a-brick size - useful for providing a bit more lift when needed.

If you don't mind carrying one around (and can find somewhere to put it), a small trolley jack is definitely the thing to go for: safer and less effort to use.

If you jack up under the suspension, near the wheel, then a 9" lift would be ok, and 12" more than adequate. Worth carrying a chunk of hardwood too, around half-a-brick size - useful for providing a bit more lift when needed.

Perfect fit Chris, in the 4.3 plastic boot tray under the floor. Bought a 3 tonne just to be uber safe. Good wee tip on dod of wood though.

Thanks for your replies.

Was looking at the trolley type jacks as fed up with scraping my knuckles with the scissor type ones.

My only concern is the positioning of the trolley jack as they have a small-ish round lifting pad. The scissor type have a pad with a sort of notch in it's profile which fits in the correct jacking position.

Where would I position a trolley jack to avoid any damage and also be safe and secure ? Would it not need a surface on the underside of the car that is flat and parallel to the floor as the scissor jacks lifting pad also pivots as it lifts ?

Sorry to be asking basic questions but never had to think about these issues before as every previous car came with a jack !

Wanting to get sorted in time for my Jetseal so I can do the wheels at the weekend.

Paul.

get a hocky puck and cut a groove in it using a small hacksaw. Then use that on top of the lifting pad. . . . you can then use the side jacking points.

. . . . Not my idea :oops: good old CharlieFarley came up with that one and has a couple of piccies on here showing how it is done.

Try SGS engineering for good quality jacks ;)

The supplied scissor jack for the 4.3 fits really securely to the appropriate jacking points but it is hard work to wind up with the supplied crank which is a poor link into the jack and is also articulated adding to the hassle..........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links