Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 Greyish/white Smoke

RUSS114

Hi

I have a 07 T180 68,000 miles it doesn't use any oil and virtually no coolant and doesn't exhibit any signs of the dreaded head gasket problem,,, but this winter when i accelerate after slow city driving or coasting at low revs it blows out a plume of white/greyish smoke or vapor could this be the EGR Valve or cooler leaking, i cannot detect any loss of power but do detect a pinging under acceleration.

The only difference i can find with the sound of the engine is on a cold morning it is a bit louder and lumpy until warmed up.

Is this evidence of a sticking EGR VALVE.

I HAVE ALSO QUERIED MY MAIN DEALER SERVICE MANAGER ABOUT THE ad engine out of warranty guidelines (0730J) warranty bulletin from Toyota and he denies any knowing of its existence.

(as posted on here)

If the dealer denies any existence of this extended engine warranty what can i do as i am sure this is a official communication from Toyota.

Just a update rang another Toyota dealer, service manager said no problem drop it off tomorrow and we will fit you a new engine,,,,,,,,,,he was very keen to fit one,,,, guess he bills Toyota for a lot of labour.

Edited by RUSS114

He will have to do a few tests first before he can say he will get a new engine under warranty. Have they confirmed headgasket? Engine takes a few days to arrive then around 14-17 hours to strip and refit

Alex

No took it today they are not going to bother inspecting it all parts etc are on order ,,,,, new engine

I have had the same faults with my SR180 but i thought it would just be the EGR valve needing cleaned or dirty fuel or a possible regen on the DPF.

So far what i have done is have the full major service completed and changed from esso to BP fuel so far the smoke hasn't been as noticeable.But since fitting the K&N panel filter to the car you can hear the air getting sucked in a bit louder than the original panel filter and the car is making a noise,Sounds a wee bit like a turbo spooling in a petrol car when accelerating .

Pedro ...

When I took my car in , they didnt want to test it and had already ordered a new engine .

So when I get mine back I am going to sell it .

Maybe you should do the same as me .

I have a suspicion that there maybe a few rogue dealers who see the HG issue as a quick way to make some easy money & are putting forward claims without full checks & possibly on cars that don't actually need it.

The sad thing is that if it's true & Toyota find out it would probably mean the end of the extended goodwill warranty scheme thus affecting genuine cases. :(

I have a suspicion that there maybe a few rogue dealers who see the HG issue as a quick way to make some easy money & are putting forward claims without full checks & possibly on cars that don't actually need it.

The sad thing is that if it's true & Toyota find out it would probably mean the end of the extended goodwill warranty scheme thus affecting genuine cases. :(

The system in place cannot be circumvented, there is an 80 page bulletin (not the one on various threads-that was around at the beginning of time) that has to be followed by the letter. ALL dealers are subject to rigorous audit inspection, it would not be worth trying to cheat the system, the penalties are huge

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I want to believe you but then explain the "When I took my car in , they didnt want to test it and had already ordered a new engine ." above Kingo?

It's not the only similar either which is where my suspicion has been raised.

I would have attributed the white smoke to a DPF issue, where the exhaust system is having to regen in trying to burn the ash deposite but basically not able to because it is basically blocked.

Head gasket problems would surely show symptoms such as coolant lost?

I want to believe you but then explain the "When I took my car in , they didnt want to test it and had already ordered a new engine ." above Kingo?

When I got to the Service Department

I asked "Can you let me know what you find wrong and what you are going to do"

The technician looked through the job sheet and said "We are putting a new engine in , it has already been ordered "

Is that clear enough ?

When I got to the Service Department

I asked "Can you let me know what you find wrong and what you are going to do"

The technician looked through the job sheet and said "We are putting a new engine in , it has already been ordered "

Is that clear enough ?

Apart from they have a procedure they have to follow, you can't just replace the engine adhoc

Good look and I hope the outcome is a good one

Alex

Well it's in and done and sounds and runs fine ,,, with a 12m warranty

Going to sell it now .

Really disappointed with my last two toyota cars ,,, but the T180

Has a mighty engine unfortunately it's dogged by faults .

The BMW engined Auris that the dealer lent me was quite nippy but averaged 55 mpg and not 30 mpg like the T180,,,,,enough said

The new Auris continues to use the toyota 1.4 diesel engine. It's got 90hp and 205NM of torque. For an engine with roughly half the power of the T180 I'd certainly expect it to achieve 55mpg!

We havnt started using BMW diesels yet, the auris 1.4 is still a toyota on, cracking little engine though. much better than the 2.0 and 2.2 for economy in my opinion

Alex

Beaten to it above by Phill_1985

• 8 years later...

Hi guys I had a white smoke issue, I took my car for a remap at a (Revo map) local garage (Malta) and removed dpf egr and the 5 injector by my self and the issues are gone till now after 300km no issues ,more power and better mpg (avg mpg is 41) from 33mpg ,for me the problem is the ECU map gone wrong  that allow fifth injector to spray diesel frequently Thanks

• Like 1