Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 T180

Sky711

Mines never gets less than 35mpg and normal running returns around 40mpg b2b (summer) mixed driving . So not thirsty at all . And the OBC under estimates mpg and has done so from owning it for nearly 5 years .

That deserves a place in the guinness book of records.

• Like 1

Norfolk and back to Yorkshire (400 miles total) last week was 39mpg on OBC, and that wasn't hanging around. Around town I'll get 33 - 34mpg without really trying during warmer months. Expect to do around 31 mpg over winter. For the size and weight of car and its spec I can live with that.

Thank you all!!!!

I bought my T180 today. 56 with 31k in grey

Now all I need is to add side step, front guard and roof rail to make it look good!

Hi Wardude,Yeah is a bit too far for me! Over 5hrs away!

For the right car 5 hours is naff all.... I have travelled the whole of the UK to get the right car and sometimes at the right price.. I went from near Edinburgh to south Wales to buy my Jag and saved a heap of cash to boot !070.jpg

Nice Jag!!!!

Thank you all!!!!

Now all I need is to add side step, front guard and roof rail to make it look good!

Nice low mileage that with still a bit of 'goodwill' MrT 7 yr. engine warranty left.

Might be worth looking into some extended warranty for when it expires..(the warranty that is);~)

Iv'e owned most of the Rav4 range and the T180 is by far the nicest to drive imo.

Is Kingo's Lindop tune kit on your list of goodies?

Thank you all!!!!

Nice low mileage that with still a bit of 'goodwill' MrT 7 yr. engine warranty left.

Might be worth looking into some extended warranty for when it expires..(the warranty that is);~)

Iv'e owned most of the Rav4 range and the T180 is by far the nicest to drive imo.

Is Kingo's Lindop tune kit on your list of goodies?

I know a tall thin Scotsman (shurrit Webz.....) with a Lindop Chip Kit for sale, optimised solely for T180 / SR180 vehicular transport.........

Tuning kit? Chip kit? What does it do?

Takes your new car from 178bhp to an even more fun 218bhp, and used properly can yield 4 to 6 mpg extra, with nice cruising and sixth gear flexibility and much less requirement for changing down through gears.....that's all.......

• Like 1

Takes your new car from 178bhp to an even more fun 218bhp, and used properly can yield 4 to 6 mpg extra, with nice cruising and sixth gear flexibility and much less requirement for changing down through gears.....that's all.......

Thanks! Just order the chip with kingo!!!!

Sky711 has joined the Big_Kev club..................golf balls Kev? :D:

Nah mate....just balls......

Nah mate....just balls......

3/10 for marketing skills and that is only because you managed to explain what it does correctly!

Sky711 has joined the Big_Kev club..................golf balls Kev? :D:

Haha as long is good!!!! Needed 20" alloys next I think

If you want a RAV4 but also want good fuel economy you need to avoid the following I reckon .....

1) T180

2) SR Auto

3) RAV4.2 Petrol (just thought I would throw that one in for nostalgia)

Doesn't leave many options does it !

All this talk of crap economy "With respect" is getting on my diddys...

What do we expect from a large estate car with high equipment levels ? !!

Take a look at the opposition cars from Ford or Honda ? There is little if anything in the figure and in many cases the Rav is best !

The SRs are a wee bit greedy or so Im told because they are automatics. (Late cars that is) and The T180 is or should I onec more point out because it has for a mid size 4WD high power..

If owning an Auto hurts the pocket buy a manual ! If the T180 or any of the others is to greedy buy a smaller car.. Job done.

Come on guys with carefull and I dont mean driving like miss daisy driving all the diesel Rav4s can turn in very good and competitive MPG figures..............

I think most people understand that official mpg are not achievable, but when some can manage 40 on a good run in a T180 and others only manage very low 30's no matter how they drive, then I for one can understand the frustration as the engine is obviously capable, but something somewhere is not right for some of us. I got 360 - 370 on the few tank fill ups I made before the engine was replaced. Now it's usually around 310. No explanation as yet......I pop in this forum in the hope someone has the answer.

If I can eek a few more mpg out of my car when I know it should be capable, then I'm happy to see these threads about mpg. Some smarty pants might just provide the answer.

Cleaned my MAF on the weekend, so will wait and see if that helps.....kinda look like it may according to OBC, but brim to brim will no doubt dash my hopes.

Guy always did quite well with his T180 even knocking around but he was in 5th gear at 30 mph. That seemed to work OK.

Guy always did quite well with his T180 even knocking around but he was in 5th gear at 30 mph. That seemed to work OK.

3rd gear until 40mph, 4th gear then until around 55mph, then maybe 5th as long as I won't be slowing down for a while. 6th gear at 60mph if I am on motorway.

Would 5th at 30mph be a little low and potentially not good?

My last comment on MPG

My journeys up and down from central Scotland to the Midlands took me across country to Edinburgh then down the A701 from Peebles to Moffat which was about 120 miles then the balance of the 360 mile journey was motorway which was always at an indicated 78 or so MPH.. This should with speedo error be just about bang on a real world 70 MPH.

So the journey took in a varied range of driving as the 701 is a fast and fabulous road to travel on so NO driving like miss daisy !

It is an indisputable fact that I got at least 30 miles more from the tank if I filled with quality fuel Shell Vpower diesel being the fuel I used 95% of the time....

The other major as far as I am concerned gain was fitting the Lindop chip..

This chip was not fitted to make the car faster the T180 is quick enough anyway and to be frank its not that sort of car.. Well for me its not..

The chip was just purely for economy and the HUGE gains in drive-ability that come after fitting said chip..

I met up with Big Kev at a services in Scotland and went over in my Jag XF which is a pretty pokey motor and despite this Kevs car felt in a different league to my car !! It just pulled from way down lower in the range without the need to drop a gear. So overtaking is a smoother less effortless afair.. This means less strain on the car the driver and most importantly the fuel tank.. The car just feels so much better.. More power less effort just a better car and likely what Toyota would have delivered if it were not for all the !Removed! stupid emissions tests the car has to endure to get on our roads ....

My car always did an average MPG of 40 on that journey.. 43 TO 43 on the motorway and a 38 ish when belting down the A701..

So for me while its not the epitome of economy it turns in IMHO very good figures taking in that it is quite a big heavy car and most of the time was heavily loaded ... Plus lets remember its is after all a 4WD vehicle with good capability !

My Wife who is disabled now has a wee Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.4 petrol automatic.. Its fuel figures are laughable ! It cant get near the T180s figures !!

Driving style is or must be a huge factor here as Im plain confused why some get good and some get semmingly bad MPG..........

• Like 1

Thank you all!!!!

Enjoy...

I think most people understand that official mpg are not achievable, but when some can manage 40 on a good run in a T180 and others only manage very low 30's no matter how they drive,

Charlie, to be honest in all my years in this job, it is usually the driver and the driving conditions that person has to endure that are the deciding factors

I cannot tell you how many times Ive been told "Well I drive like Miss Daisy but I only get........." Only to go out on the road with them to be terrified at the standard of driving. The other factor is the type of driving, motorway, town, the flat roads of Cheshire or the hills of North Wales. Rarely is the vehicle at fault

Still cannot get used to this Quote malarky, sorry

Kingo :thumbsup:

Edited by Parts-King

I agree with the points made above, the one variable element in all of this that is outside of anyones driving style is the variability of how the engine fixes have been done. For example I also dont know whether we should have had a new engine or not?

I wonder if the people who are getting less mpg are the ones who had the engine reworked at the dealer and not had a replacement engine????? The variability in the workshop will be significant as they are not production controlled environments.

I think most people understand that official mpg are not achievable, but when some can manage 40 on a good run in a T180 and others only manage very low 30's no matter how they drive,

Charlie, to be honest in all my years in this job, it is usually the driver and the driving conditions that person has to endure that are the deciding factors

I cannot tell you how many times Ive been told "Well I drive like Miss Daisy but I only get........." Only to go out on the road with them to be terrified at the standard of driving. The other factor is the type of driving, motorway, town, the flat roads of Cheshire or the hills of North Wales. Rarely is the vehicle at fault

Still cannot get used to this Quote malarky, sorry

Kingo :thumbsup:

Got my quotey head on:-

Most people who seek advice, are simply looking for affirmation. And they will seek as much 'advice' as it takes to get the affirmation they seek.

Everything was perfectly healthy and normal here in Denial Land. :laughing:

As an engineer whose job involves fixing faults , based on infomation provided (usually 2/3rd hand and often wrong) i go to the source and question in detail and find what i need. Experimenting and investigation and plodding on until i get the true answer is what i do. To insinuate driving style is a factor is insulting to me and many other people experiencing these issues. (disclaimer ...might be some nutter drivers who thrash the RAV...exclude them!!) Lets see i had a drastic coolant loss on my car and my engine was changed....blimey my milage dropped 50 - 60 mpg after that...let me see i forgot how to drive economically in the few weeks that my engine was changed. Don't think so. (sorry sacasm is my strong point)

I have made a good few journeys on the motorway at 55- 60 mph with a good number of miles,but not enough for a full tank of fuel to be used. A few extra 12.5 miles trips done before a brim to brim measurement made just to see what my best mpg would be. All recorded on fuelly. Premium fuels used.

Will wait for my MAF sensor cleaning to reveal results first. If that fails to improve MPG i am happy to demonstrate to you Mr Kingo my driving style and you can judge for yourself. I can always take a trip to Cheshire Oaks and look at the old season stock that nobody wanted or the XXXXL or Small clothes that only fits midgets or fat knacks.

3rd gear until 40mph, 4th gear then until around 55mph, then maybe 5th as long as I won't be slowing down for a while. 6th gear at 60mph if I am on motorway.

Cant really see how on earth you could do 30mph in 5th in a 180..it would stall the car.

OK not litterally but he is right up the box and never goes above 1500 rpm. Neither he or I have a manual any more so we have little input. The auto takes itself much higher in revs than I ever did with a manual.

Cant really see how on earth you could do 30mph in 5th in a 180..it would stall the car.

For me it's normally 3rd gear until 30mph, 4th gear until 40mph, 5th gear until 50 and then 6th - and I won't necessarily change down until I have to. It's generally A roads and motorways in 6th, B roads in 5th and I tend to use 3rd in town (30 limits) to help keep those points at bay. ;)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links