Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Brakes

whistlemad

Hi guys, i have a 1999 gx and recently i have noticed that when i brake it sometimes feels like the front offside is not braking as it should. It feels like i am braking on gravel or its like a ratchet type of feeling through the brake pedal. When i release the pedal and brake again it seems to be ok. this does not happen all the time, i have checked the discs and pads all ok. ABS sensor perhaps ? Any ideas, Thanks.

I believe you are describing an ABS fault. The sensor ring needs to be checked.

Thanks anchorman, is this a job that can be done at home and what should i look for ? general condition of the sensor ring ? Many thanks.

Make sure the inner disc face is not breaking up, Rob, as it is more difficult to inspect, and can be in woeful knick unbeknown . Been there along with Charlie and others......shocking rustification.

Big Kev.

• Like 1

. . . and check that there are no iron filings / steel dust / debris stuck to the end of the sensor, which is magnetic. Such debris really upsets the behaviour of the sensor.

Chris

thanks for the help guys, according to my haynes manual the speed sensor rotor is an integral part of the driveshaft cv joint. is it easy to inspect and replace ? Thanks.

Might have to strip it all down. Have you looked from underneath?

Not had chance to get underneath it yet guys, just wanted as much info as possible before i started, forwarned is forarmed if that makes any sense. Thanks again.

Not had chance to get underneath it yet guys, just wanted as much info as possible before i started, forwarned is forarmed if that makes any sense. Thanks again.

Rob.......Betfred sez.....

Evens.....inside faces of discs gubbered.

ABS Fault.......93/1

Iron Filings stuck tae magnets : 12/1

Brake Fluid Hygroscopically Disadvantaged....ach.....change it anyway.....

Techo Kevo.

These rear discs just taken off wife's wee Rav today, Rob......feast thine eyes on the attached. 2004 with 39k and discs totally gubbered......the fronts were worse in October 2012 but forgot to photo.

post-59404-0-92852600-1367271468_thumb.j

Thanks for your help Kev, i hope it's something as simple as replacing the discs.

Kev.

Your right foot is longer than the left. Is that why you tend to turn to the left all the time?

• 2 weeks later...

Hye guys, I wondered if I can jump in here and ask a question if you dont mind. My 03 rav swb is showing abs light, and has a spongy brake peddle, have bled the brakes as recomended, the light is still showing and has made not a jot of difference to the spongy brakes either but It has put fresh brake fluid into the system. I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed a little bit of knowledge as it would be much appreciated, its my only form of transport and I dont want it to fail on me when I most need it.

Thanx

jules

THey are all spongy with the engine running. You need to switch it off and press the pedal several times for a proper test. Finding the duff sensor is a bit more tricky without some test gear but most well equiped local garages should be able to help.