Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Idle Cut Out

1999avensis

Help! I've been out in the car today and all was well. When i got home i noticed the car wanted to cut out as i changed gear into reverse, it actually stalled which led to the Mrs taking the *****. But when i tried to restart it, as soon the revs got to idle speed they kept dipping and it cut out again. tank is over quarter full. any ideas?

Does it keep running if you very slightly press the accelerator? If so, could possibly a dirty throttle body - or more likely a dirty/broken Idle Air Control Valve.

Other things to check are plugs/leads, distributor cap and rotor arm.

Moved to Avensis forum

It is hard to say from your description but it could be the crank sensor.

Other possible causes are :- dirty fuel, block air intake, vacuum leak, failed fuel pump, blocked fuel filter or O2 sensor failing.

Is the EML light on once the engine is running. How is the engine running once started. Does it sound like it is misfiring?

Please supply engine details like size and type engine. It will help.

Konrad, thanks. Its an 1800 petrol est, fuel injected on a T. A mate came and had a look and there's a sensor on the injection bar just after the carb. A gentle tap on there with the handle of a screwy and bingo. So its a trip to the breakers yard to get a spare. It's only happened the once, so it'll be added to my "to do list" :-D

can you upload a photo showing this sensor?

For the life of me I cannot think what it could be - the only thing I am aware of the on the fuel rail is the fuel pressure regulator - round disc type with thin air hose attached...