Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hybrid Excel - Two Weeks In

Aceshigh84

I've had my Auris Hybrid now for a little over a fortnight and thought it about time to post a bit of an owners review.

So far I've covered 750 miles, at an average of 62mpg (on-board calculator), with the best journey so far returning 83mpg, which was about 20 miles of mixed town driving and dual carriageway.

The car is in the Excel trim, with leather and panoramic roof options and the protection pack (no Sat nav). I also had the chrome side sills added because I liked how they looked on the Yaris and thought they would suit a black Auris, I also think it ties in with the chrome trim on the front and rear of the car.

At first I found driving the hybrid strange, I would switch the screen to the energy monitor and I was constantly trying to keep it on ev mode for as long as possible thinking it would maximise fuel returns. I always struggled to keep the car at 30mph in town, I would either press the accelerator too hard and engage the ice, or not enough and so the car would slow down, then I'd have to press the accelerator harder and engage the ice. You get the picture.

Now I tend to drive with the eco or average mpg screen active on the dash, coming from a car that didn't have any form of real time information, I find this most useful to get they correct pressure on the pedal to get to and maintain a set speed.

I always used cruise control in my old car where possible, and started to in the Auris, however I found that on some stretches of road I can actually get better mpg when driving manually. I think people need to just test both methods on their normal commutes and figure out when is best to use cruise and when not.

I really like the look of the car, both on the outside with the styling of the front grille and the rear light clusters where they wrap around the rear quarter. And also on the inside, the ice grey leather has grown on me and I really like the way the panoramic roof lets so much light into the cabin, it makes the cabin feel much roomier than it actually is.

I car share for the commute to work, and the guys I share with have commented positively from a passenger point of view on the space in the cabin, I personally think there is not a lot of leg room in the rear (despite the extra 40mm gained over the previous model), however, I sit with my seat all the way back against the stops, so a shorter driver will obviously leave more rear leg room for passengers.

The only gripes I have with the car so far are the annoying alarm that sounds when you put the car into reverse that drown out the reversing sensors and would wake any sleeping children (if you had them in the car) - this is a customisable feature that can be switched to just a single beep by the dealer.

The other is that there is an annoying rattle/squeak from the interior trim when driving along anything other than the smoothest road. After much searching, I have tracked it down to the overhead light/panoramic roof switch section. I will be getting the dealer to look at this when she goes in for the reversing beep change, I cannot drive a car that has any kind of annoying noise as it really bugs me!

The touchscreen system is relatively easy to use and you can find your way around it without much hassle, it is pretty intuitive. One thing that Toyota could sort out is that the on screen buttons are too close together on some screens for those of us that lack the hands of a pianist- when using the phone system or changing radio station for example, it is too easy to accidentally select the wrong button.

I hope this little write up helps any potential buyer, and gives a more honest opinion on the car than some (or most) of the official reviews that are out there. I know the car isn't as sporty or as fast as a Golf, if I wanted that kind of thing from a car then guess what - I would have bought a Golf!

I wanted a reliable, comfortable and efficient car to get me to work and back, and to be the main family car for the early years (currently planning on starting a family soon), I don't want to have to worry about things breaking or that the car is going to be worthless in 3 years, and I believe I have found what I want in the Toyota Auris.

post-130169-0-12201900-1367078780_thumb.

post-130169-0-15959100-1367078903_thumb.

post-130169-0-29050300-1367079889_thumb.

• Like 1

Thanks for writing the review. I'm thinking of getting a new Auris hybrid myself. Something economical with no DPF worries, 5 year warranty and the looks of a normal car appeals. One thing I don't like is the Auris interior. IMO it just doesn't have the style that I'm used to in my old E-class. I was wondering if the ice grey leather made any difference? It looks better in some photos that I've seen, however in others the grey looks almost white.

I was in two minds about the grey leather too, but I am really glad I went for it now.

I agree about the photos not showing the colour properly, I have just taken some of mine now, admittedly in low light, some with the flash on and some without. Hopefully it gives a representation of the colour.

post-130169-0-38271500-1367178189_thumb.

post-130169-0-65316200-1367178226_thumb.

post-130169-0-76910400-1367178274_thumb.

post-130169-0-64784500-1367178309_thumb.

• Like 1

Thanks - the grey interior in your photos looks much better than some of the photos that I've found online where it appears to be almost white. I'll try to arrange a test drive and see how I like driving the hybrid Auris.

Nice work (and motor) Colin!

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with EVERYTHING in your review!!! I've had mine (identical model to yours) since March 1st.

You say the dealer can change the reversing beep... did you have to pay for this or do they do it for nothing?

I've also noticed a rattle - I think mine is from the roof sun-blind so doubt there's anything can be done to stop it.

But overall am very happy with my car!

The rattle seems to have worked itself out. I haven't noticed it on the last few journeys over different surfaces.

A new noise though is a whistling / wind noise from the drivers for mirror when on a dual carriageway; it is almost like the window is ever so slightly open, or the door seal or sound proofing isn't adequate.

As for the reversing beep, the dealer can do it, and I would argue that they shouldn't charge for it. I actually bought a TechStream clone from eBay and done it myself, it worked out cheaper than driving all the way to the dealer.

I don't think I'm clever enough to do a diy job on my beep!

Yes, with the windy weather of the past few days I've also noticed a similar noise - just a trait of the car I think - some Auris reviews I've read in the press have mentioned wind noise!

Dealer changed the reverse beep without charge on the Auris HSD I bought used - and washed the car and gave me a coffee. Think it was the apprentice that did the job but no issue with that as it was done correctly.

Really, I think that they should have offered this option when getting the car ready and therefore shouldn't charge.

• Like 1

Colin - after 1400 miles I'm finding the mpg reading is over-reading by about 4mpg using the brim to brim method - how are you finding yours mate?

According to Fuelly I'm averaging 58mpg, the computer was saying about 62-63 for the first couple of tanks. So a 4mpg over read sounds about right.

I have started to just fill 20 litres for the last couple of tanks, I'm hoping that will increase the mpg, but it is over shadowed at the moment with my commute to work, that is killing my mpg on the dual carriageway.

Colin - after 1400 miles I'm finding the mpg reading is over-reading by about 4mpg using the brim to brim method?

This is normal for Toyota hybrids. :driving:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links