Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Newbie

Tomtom89

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and have just got myself my first Toyota - a Rav4 T180 (2006, 55k) First impressions...I love it. However, I've got a few niggles. Having changed from a golf, which was a dream to change gear, the Rav seems a bit rough. First to second is pretty much always a grind. First gear is sometimes hard to engage when stationary, and next to impossible when rolling slowly, which makes approaching roundabouts, junctions, traffic lights etc a bit of nightmare. Finally, it seems impossible to hold the car on the bite on anything other than the shallowest gradient. The car rolls back if the clutch isn't high enough (obviously), but when lifted any higher it judders violently as though it's about to stall. There doesn't seem to be decent biting point or, if there is, I can't get it!

So my question is, are these problems common in all Ravs and just something I'll have to live with? Or does mine need to take a trip to local garage?

Apologies if this has been covered already!

Cheers

Hi Tom and welcome aboard this Forum of really nice people, especially me......

Until you get used to the biting point, and always presuming there is nothing wrong with your clutch or driving, why not use your HAC....Hill Assist Control.....have a look in yer user handbook or come back on here if not clear.

Also do a search on "Rav 4 Gearchange".....very common but I got used to my previous wan no bother.

Big Kev

Welcome aboard.
I've also just bought an '06 T180 on 63k.
1st to 2nd gear isnt silky smooth but tbh mine isnt that bad,and certainly no worse than the other 3 Ravs I've owned,and this is common on most higher mlg 4x4 diesels I believe and not just the Rav.
You do need to give it more revs on hill starts or you will get clutch judder or even stall.
But might still be worth getting it checked out though,especially if its been used for towing a caravan etc.

If you don't KNOW it's been done, might be worth starting with a gear oil change. Gear box is apparently very fussy on the right type though and who knows what's in there?!

There are cases of 1st to 2nd issues but personally mines a dream!

Dave

• Like 1

I aked a question about our 4-3 creeping foward when cold and it being hard to get from 1st to 2nd, well after it last sevice this has stopped, so I can only imagine it was the type of oil used at the previous service.

Geordie

Cheers guys, I'll look into getting the oil changed in the gear box and maybe get someone with a bit more know how than myself to take it for a drive and see what they think. I can deal with the rough gear changes, I just want to make sure that it's not a sign that my clutch/gear box is on its way out.

Big Kev, I didn't even realise I had HAC! Cheers for pointing that out. For some reason I thought only the autos had it.

On a different note, I'm having some issues with a blinking TPMS light that came on an hour after driving away from the dealer. I've noticed this has been done to death though so I'll have a search through the previous threads.

Tom

From memory, blinking means system fault.....constant light means deflation.....?

Saw a Rav '59 plate at Arnie's today, which had obviously been to the equivalent of Woolworth's Pick n Mix tyre shop......all 4 of different manufacturer, 3 were budget pish, .....and the fourth was a runflat by you know who, fitted with a normal valve and almost brand new. Bind moggles.....

Big Kev

• Like 1