Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Wobble When Braking Above 40Mph

kate123

I have a Toyota avensis 1.6 vvti 2001, when I start to brake over 40mph my steering wheel decides to go mad. I do feel like the problem is coming from the front end of the car. I recently had the rear pads done on my car. Im thinking it could be the front discs because I think the pads are fine. Has anyone had the same problem?

i would say that one or both of the front discs are warped.

I will tend to agree with mintalkin. Does the steering only wobble at that speed and above or any time you brake.

below 40mph steering is fine. When Im driving down hill at a higher speed and braking that is the worse time. Is having warped discs quite dangerous or will you always have brakes whatever?

I'd go with warped front discs too. They probably won't actually fail as such, but what if you need to brake hard and the wobble puts you into a bus stop?

If the discs are the ventilated type and have been on there for ever and a day it can be caused by the vanes between the two halves of the disc rusting out, this gives this same effect too. Only way to cure is replace the discs. It is unsafe to continue to use them in this condition as heavy braking could cause the disc to fracture.

Another cause of a brake disc warping is that you have a stuck or sticking calliper.

I ate through a brand new set of pads and discs on my last Accord in less than 3500 miles due to a sticking calliper, had to fight Honda to get then replaced under warranty.

ok thanks, sounds like I definitely need a new set of discs then. I got quoted £160 for front discs and pads to be replaced is that a fair price?

That seems reasonable. It might be worth asking them to check your callipers as well given the age of the car. My bike had corrosion in the callipers and it was preventing the pistons from moving hence some pretty poor braking performance. Also a dragging brake will overheat and can lead to warping as well as the excessive brake wear.

yea I will do that. thank you for all the comments you have all been very helpful :) ill get them done asap and see if problem goes.