Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hesitation When At A Constant 40 Mph

lightbearer

Hi everyone,

I had the EGR valve replaced last year under warranty - recently though I am experiencing some "hesitations" in the engine when I drive at 40 mph, does anyone else experience this? At first I thought it was undulations in the road surface and I was trying to convince myself that it was because the car was so "short" you felt them more. But today I drove on a super smooth road at 40 mph and there was definite hesitation. Like the engine is missing a beat every so often.

Last week I took it into Mr T and one of the mechanics took it for a run - said it was fine, however the route he took did not allow enough driving at 40mph to detect the problem as he was having to change gear all the time which masks the problem. He advised me to put some of the new Shell

"Ultra " fuel in to see if it made a difference. The only difference it made was to my wallet! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

regards

jack

Seems like dirty or worn down sparks.... I would look at them and maybe replace them anyways...

Depends on the amount of miles you have driven...

So... how many miles has the car done..

About the petrol... I allways get the highoctane - Shell Vpower... but there has been a lot of dicussion about this ....

The sparks were inspected but not replaced at the last service. The car has now done 14150 miles. (59 plate).

Worth noting is the fact that the previous owner (Elderly man) only used the car from new for short trips for 3 years and covered 7102 miles in that period I have added 7000 in 8 months since I bought the car. Mr T carried out the 20000 mile service last October with the mileage at 9265, this due to the age of the car, I would have preferred that sparks be replaced at that time but I notice on the service schedule that they reckon they should only be replaced every 60000 miles.

How difficult/easy are they to replace yourself? And which ones would you recommend? I am not the worlds best mechanic!

jack

• Like 1

I'm getting the same sort of misfire when driving at around 35mph.

I had the EGR Valve replaced about 18 months ago and I have now covered 43,000 miles.

The thing is it only happens every now and again, maybe a couple of times a month.

• Like 1

Sometimes it helps, in a car that has been mainly used for pootling around urban areas, to go for a "blast" on a motorway (not exceeding speed limits or taking risks of course) to clean out the cobwebs in the cylinders and deposits on the plugs.

Keep it in fourth gear for a while instead of changing up to fifth.

Used to make a difference in the old days.

John

• Like 1

Replacing the sparks.... I do not know and have not done. I would Toyota let it do...

Or use a little bottle of "clean-up" poured in the tank with the fuel.

Or start using "V-Power" / "Excellium" / "some other doped fuel" :-)

I understand that Mr T says that the plugs last until 60k, but that doesn't mean they are good for that mileage! I've already changed mine (same as you 59 plate) after 20k and noticed a bit smoother, I also found that Vmax didn't make that much difference other than the wallet. I ran Esso and again it was a bit smoother and better MPG.

Strange how this rubbish all goes and comes around.

Fish

Re Your Hestiation at 40 mph, My experience is as follows:

Since my EGR valve has been replaced, car is much much better, (smoother) and no hesitations at any speed, I'm using the cheapest grade fuel, My MPG is now up to 60+MPG average, from 52+MPG (similar types of journeys) I did put in some fuel conditioner to clear out any residues or unwanted deposits, this was for no paticular reason, I always do that once per year, My total miles covered are about 36,000 ish My car was serviced by Mt T before I got it at about 35,000 Miles. So I expect it has the same spark plugs from new.

That's it from me, Positive Regards - Bob.