Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid T-Spirit Smart Entry Retrofit?

Mike2015

Hi all

Was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about whether the T-Spirit Hybrid can be retrofitted with Smart Entry? Major oversight by Toyota, leaving it out of their top of the range model. Still, my passenger seat can be adjusted up and down....and my vanity mirrors have lights...sigh....

I see Smart Entry is available on the 2012 Yaris T-Spirit so asked my dealer if I could have it retrofitted to mine. He asked the mechanics, who said it wasn't possible, as did Toyota. However they didn't say why. As far as I can tell (without stripping down the dealers Yaris!) I'd be looking at the door handle with the sensor in it and possibly a wiring loom to the computer. I can't see that Smart Entry/Smart Start would use different components to the Smart Start currently fitted to my Hybrid

Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious and there is a reason it's not possible, but my engineering background tells me that anything is possible. Just maybe not cost effective

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

You'll also need the receiver antennas near both front doors and the boot door for the key to be identified by the system.

Also new door handles, most likely a wiring loom and in worst case an upgraded "comfort" module.

Probably is possible but is not very cost-wise to do unless you get the parts practically for free. Lot of labor to install the parts as you need to strip down doors and the roof paneling. Also most of the dashboard needs to be dismantled to get access to computer module.

Hi downtime, thanks for your input. Labour wouldn't be a problem, it's just the parts I'd need. For me, it's not so much the cost as it is the challenge. What I really need is a Parts Manual!

Mike, I agree, it was a stupid 'cost cutting' (read rip-off Britain) measure for UK market vehicles as most Euro-market T-Spirit's have keyless entry. But I'm not sure even if you managed to get the parts whether your car could be coded for the feature - speaking from BMW experience, the coding software used by the dealers tends not to allow them to do certain things like coding unapproved retrofittings.

I see you are in Somerset? Who is your dealer? Wonder if it's the same as mine (the service manager who lacks certain - shall we say - 'skills'). I am currently struggling to get my 7-digit postcode entry restored in my T&G Nav after the 'update' I downloaded from the portal downgraded my sat nav system, all for the pricely sum of £109 for the privilege thank you!

It would definatly be price prohibitive, even if you "thought" you had identified everthing you needed, you can bet you would come across something else critical to the fit. I am often asked about folding mirrors and the like, when you take into account of the parts / switches / wiring, it usually turns out very expensive. Of course the fitting of it at the factory is small fry in comparison

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. Retrofitting the Smart Entry system looks like it's going to be too much hassle (grrrr to Toyota and Rip-Off Britain!). Yet another example of "Pay more, Get Less", although Toyota aren't the only ones to do this.....Apple, Sony, Microsoft, Intel....the list goes on...

@rotty: My dealer is Somerset Motors in Taunton. I have to say, they've been brilliant so far. Excellent price for the car, they changed the wheels and tyres for free because I found the ride to be too harsh, which is down to the Continental tyres. My iPod was intermittently cutting out so they're fitting a brand new unit and updating the map at their expense, plus some other issues which they are sorting as I type. It is easily the best service I've ever had from a dealer with VW being the worst and Honda coming a close second to VW. I'll check the 5 digit postcode issue when it's done, but from what I've read here on the forums, the map update through the dealer network has been sorted, although map updates through Toyota's portal hasn't. Please note that Toyota might have updated their portal by now. I haven't checked because my map update will be done at the dealers

@Kingo: How many times have I started what I considered to be a "simple" job and come across something else critical to the fit?!! :lol: