Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carbuyer Auris Hybrid Review

Nicolai

What do you think?

The steering seems very vague and uncomfortable drive?

Here we go again...................

I know, but it's a big decision for me to make and I always liked Matts reviews, so a bit concerned he's so negative.

Nicolai, Buying a car IS a big decision but you have been banging on about the same thing for a year, for heavans sake, go and drive one yourself. We all have different opinions, the only opinion is yours if you want to own one. Who gives a flying fig what a journalist thinks?

You come onto a Toyota owners forum then start trolling reports about how this and that is poor with the car, go and make your own mind up man!!!!

Kingo :thumbsup:

When a motoring journalist says that the feel of the steering was vague at speed, that is journalistic code that when translated to the ordinary owner means that it was easy to drive. How's that for positive? :flowers:

• Like 1

The local Toyota showroom loaned me an Auris Icon Hybrid for two days so I was able to test it during my usual commute, motorway and night driving. I liked it enough to place an order. Kingo is right, you really do need to try one for yourself.

The Auris replacement is due in 2019 - the reviews of that may be better.

• Like 1

The Auris replacement is due in 2019 - the reviews of that may be better.

:D: :D: :D:

Some people already bought 2 Hybrid during a 1 year period...... If you are still thinking so hard about this, maybe this is not for you?

To each their own Nicolai.Test drive an Auris to see whether it complies with your own set of standards. Asking a million people will just be welcoming a million personal opinions.

I purchase, own and drive a car because I think that it suits me and I think that its what I want. I dont purchase a car because somebody tells me to. ( which is why I have refused to drive a company vehicle for the past 29 years. If I've wanted to drive a Jaguar XJ6 or a Morris Traveller it has been my choice.) There comes a time when you have to rely on your own judgement.

Can someone tell me realistic figures for combined driving, city driving, A-roads (55 mph) and motorway (70- 80 mph)

I gather 58 mpg should be possible combined.

But it does not list average for each category as far as I can see?

Nicolai, This topic about MPG seems similar to the one you started back in January (Test Drove 2013 Auris Hsd: Hard To Get Good Mpg) and that went on for 6 pages, I can't believe the figures have changed much in 5 months.

But everyone's combined driving "average" will be different.

One day I might be driving to work = 5 miles at 30mph, 10 miles at 30mph to 60mph and then 15 miles at 70mph, giving approximately 64mpg.

The next day I might drive to the in-laws = 1 mile at 20mph, 1 mile at 50mph, 2 miles at 70mph, giving approximately 35mpg.

The point is, both journeys meet your specification of combined driving, but both give wildly different mpg returns.

When I was looking at cars, I eventually settled on the Auris, I then took both the diesel and the hybrid models for two days each, and in that time I drove both cars on my normal commute to work and my normal weekend journeys so that I could get a realistic mpg figure for *me*, the way that *I* drive, on roads that *I* drive on.

There is a point at the very start of deciding on a car where things like fuelly and reviews and other people's opinions are good to get a basic idea on something, but eventually *you* have to get out there and take a car for a test drive and see for yourself. And then bite the bullet and either buy it or move on.

I didn't choose my Auris Hybrid for it's fuel economy, though I daresay my daily commute will return high mpg. I chose it because I wanted a different driving experience and am impressed with the Toyota company and their hybrid technology.

If I were looking for more of the same I would have chosen another 2-litre diesel. If I relied on journalists to choose my car I'd have ordered a Ford or VW.

Steve

The point about the Honest John real mpg and the What Car True mpg parts of their websites is that owners can post the mpg they' re acheiving, and how those mpg figures compare to the official EU figures. Owners don't record their mpg in the various categories of the EU figures (ie urban, combined, etc).

For the Auris Hybrid owners appear to be acheiving a range of mpg between 48.8 and 61.4, with an average of 56.1 - 77% of the official EU figures. So 58 mpg is possible depending on your driving style and the type of driving you do.

Think this is about as far as you can reasonably expect to take this topic !!

Have a look at Fuelly - click on the box at the foot of this post and follow "Browse vehicles" tab to Toyota and Auris, then use the filter to restrict the data to your particular version.

You may not find a lot for a relatively new vehicle, but it will give you some idea of the variability of results.

Nicolai, The care you are taking in selecting your mode of transport is understandable given the explanation you posted in another thread. The thing which is going to frustrate you is that technology always marches on. It doesnt matter how much care you take over vehicle selection, times will change and something will appear on the market which is more suited to your needs. People who were once very happy with their Prius are now considering buying a plug in or an Auris or a Yaris or a Volt or a CT because they have all been lauched since the gen 3 prius appeared on the market. Would I be right in saying that a new version of the Auris has been launched since you first started looking? Perhaps you have missed the opportunity of discounted Gen 1 aurises already?

My view is that whatever I do, however careful I am. whatever amount of research i carry out, I have to commit at some stage and a split second after i make that committment, I discover something better just around the corner. There will always be a future to make my choice seem unwise if you can not be certain, then perhaps the most economical solution is to buy a car which is a few years out of date on the grounds that I will not be paying a novelty premium and also, what is out of date today will almost certainly be out of date tomorrow.

Why is this still being entertained???? OP, what are you asking here that has not been exhaustively discussed elsewhere or not available online? I am no MOD or even a frequent visitor any more, but you are having a laugh aren't you? I am truly happy that you get any response at all, it shows what a great bunch of people are here on this forum, but you sound like a fantasist with too much time on your hand who just like attention.

Not that I care but I will happily contribute to your threads once you have actually bought a car, be it a Skoda, Toyota or a Honda... You have enough opinion and help to buy 15 cars over. Good luck.

When faced with a big decision, sometimes you've just got to take the plunge, especially after a year of mulling it over... Whatever you decide to buy, please post up some photos, as we all enjoy seeing what our fellow members drive :yes:.