Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fan Belt Squeal, Is There An Easy Way To Tighten The Belts

gaml d4d

Hello Everybody,

I've a Y reg d4d and the garage replaced the 2 fan belts (alternator and power steering belts) when I had the cambelt changed 2000 miles ago. One of the belts has started to squeal sometimes but I can't see how to get at any adjusters to increase the tension. It is very tight down that side of the engine, do I have to go in through the wheel arch? It seems silly to go to a garage to do something as simple as tightening a fan belt!

Thanks for your help

Graham

Yes, the wheel arch has to be undone for access.

I am not familiar with the diesel engine or the belt layout, but the access you get will be much better.

I agree with you about taking it to the garage for something simple like adjustment. With the engine idling make sure the pulleys are running straight and not all over the place - that is how I found I had a pulley failure, and the belts are not shredding.

Your pulley may be a solid cast iron version - my car is a metal rubber metal pulley to damp the vibrations, and that is what failed with the rubber separating.

Konrad

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same problem .i took my car to the main dealer the fitter sprayed it with wd40. He told me its a common problem apart from fitting a new belt. Just start the engine and spray a little WD40 on the top pulley from tim to time. I hope this helps you.