Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis

g mccann

2009 avensis how relieable how good on fuel t25

petrol or diesel??

My 2010 petrol averages 41.6 mpg, but I do not have a heavy right foot as I pay for my own petrol.

?the more you open the tap the faster the water runs out!

I think that petrol Avensis and the Carina before it, have always had very good fuel consumption compared to other cars in it's class.

The car is generally reliable and there should be no issues with the engine.

I can't say much about the diesel though.

Check the forum where owners have made comments.

im gettin the same mpg with my petrol avensis as i do in the diesel one..oh and the petrol is easier and cheaper to run!

im gettin the same mpg with my petrol avensis as i do in the diesel one..oh and the petrol is easier and cheaper to run!

Frankie, that is a great statement!

true tho konrad..i serviced the petrol one a few weeks ago cost me £30..goin to service the diesel and its costing £96 without oil..both are genuine parts.also the dmf is going so its around £500 just for the parts.stick to petrol models!! unless its a company car lol

Frank, you have given a clear picture of the difference between the petrol and diesel. I liked your first post, and you have given a good explanation of why. Generally it is cost!

Comparing the petrol Avensis to other cars on fuel consumption, I think it is very good.

Interesting posts above - I'm currently trying to decide between the 1.8 vmatic or 2.2d as a new tow car. Got Mazda6 2.0 d and the DPF issues lots of people have are putting me right off keeping it until they start on mine, and ready for a change anyway now as just swapped wife's Yaris for an aygo....

Anyway whilst looking at the 2.2 oil burners, started checking the figures on the newer patrols, stack up weight and bhp wise, I appreciate the torque and mpg will obviously be a bit different but will only be towing a couple of thousand miles per year, and using the aygo for daily commute together, so worth skipping the derv complications? What do you all think? Anybody used the new 1.8 for towing?

Ps caravan is approx 1250kg loaded.

That's quite a load to haul, 1250kg. My 2.2D4D is only 1600kg or thereabouts. If it was me I would be seriously considering hiring something to tow with, like a Discovery. You have a dilemma I think: for the mileages you are doing no way would I opt for a diesel but the weight you want to haul needs a big old lump of an engine up front, preferably fitted into a big old lump of vehicle.

I guess it depends what is most important to you. If you can put up with limited towing ability for 2k miles then you can keep your costs down on a 1.8 petrol. If you really want to get a wiggle on, or simply get up a steep hill, pulling 1250kg you probably need something altogether bigger - hence my suggestion to hire something like a Disco. Less wear & tear on your car as well. And, if you take a collision damage waiver, you can abuse it. And you can be a hero and pull everyone else out of the field when they get stuck.

And its a hire car so is clearly faster than everything else on the road.

Ive towed caravans for twenty years now and 1.8 petrol seems a little lacking in power as to 2.2 diesel, it all depends of the size of your van! . Under a tonn & your ok but over that your pulling at your gear box & clutch . Now about MPG A 2 litre diesel avensis should do about 55mpg & 1.8 petrol 40 ish that's 15 mile mpg difference, & when towing it will drop to 28/30 mpg but the diesel will only drop 45/48 .big difference .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links