Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stock Gt86 In The Toyota Sprint Series 2013

PaulT

Hi everybody! Newbie GT86 owner here :laughing:

Just got the first data point as to how quick the stock car is in the hands of an incompetent driver. Last weekend, the first round of this year's Toyota Sprint Series was held at Blyton Park in Lincolnshire, Doncaster way.

Sprinting is a race against the clock, it is not side-by-side rubbing is racing style. The stock 86 fits into class C Street, which means you are up against the fastest normally-aspirated Toyotas with strict limits on modifications. That means we could potentially be up against MR2s, Celicas, Supras, that kind of thing.

Last week, I was competing against my mate Dan who has a na manual MK4 Supra. The results are here:

http://www.toyotasprint.com/tss/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=87&Itemid=113

As you can see, my 86 is a little bit faster than the Supra :toast: Well, this time at least. At Woodbridge in a couple of weeks, I think the Supra might have the edge on the longer straights, should be a great battle.

But as well as class C Street, you can see that the 86 is pretty competitive against many of the other cars. Barrie Newsome is pretty rapid and his EP82 Starlet is running 250bhp+ and semi-slicks, so to get anywhere near that is a pretty good effort. Phil's mk1 MR2 is supercharged and on nice tyres too, but only a bit faster.

This is my first year in the GT86 after two years of running a mk4 Supra, and it was great fun on the track. You might think that it would make sense to run semi-slicks and go into the Pro class, but actually it's challenging and fun in stock form. Also, class C is nicely balanced at the moment. It's going to be close racing for the rest of the year.

What has surprised me is that, apart from Adrian, I was the only GT86 in the event. Given that this is the first track-oriented Toyota for years, I was expecting loads of fellow competitors making a great season of racing, so I'm wondering why nobody else fancies a go? Next round is Woodbridge on 19th May, so there's still time to get entries in. Some of us are staying in the Capel St Mary Travelodge on the 18th if you want to stay overnight.

Hopefully see some more GT86s in the next round!

Paul.

Cool :) Maybe we should get you renamed to PaulGT! :lol:

Blimey, it doesn't feel like that long ago that you went from the Aygo to the Supra! :lol:

Looking forward to more photos and/or vids! ;)

Yeah we are getting through cars quite quickly, but I had kept the Aygo for six years! Marvellous car :toast:

No pictures as yet, but official photographer dude Brian was there so hopefully see some soon.

Paul.

• 2 months later...

Do you have track insurance for the TSS mate? I'm interested in it but not sure about no having insurance for it!

Do you have track insurance for the TSS mate? I'm interested in it but not sure about no having insurance for it!

In fact I don't think that the risk is worth the cost of insuring. In many respects, sprinting is safer than driving on the road---no other cars to run into you and the hardest thing I have hit since 2007 when I started has been a cone.

Everybody's situation is different of course, and you will be driving your car quickly and close to the limit, but generally if you go too far and spin out there is usually plenty of run off. Also the way the competition is organised makes it unlikely you will suddenly be faced with a difficult situation. The objective is to put in the fastest time, and that will normally happen on the last run of the day as that is when the track is most rubbered-in and gives the best grip.

For the first few runs, you can take it easy and see where the time can be gained. By the time everybody is at full attack in the afternoon, you have a good idea of where to be careful and where you can push.

We get very few cases of somebody hitting something and breaking their car. The worst offenders are usually the high horsepower guys and gals who trailer their cars to the venues anyway, and those people are pushing pretty hard.

Class C is pretty competitive, but we are a bit more relaxed than the top end group :jester:

Paul.

Ps. Brian has the pics!

http://www.saidro.com/Blyton_2013/61/index.html

http://www.saidro.com/Woodbridge_2013/61/index.html

http://www.saidro.com/barkston_2013/61/index.html