Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Double Beep On New Prius

barrycoll

my 2013 Prius has been making an annoying double beep at totally unconnected times...

to start with I turned off the NAV, thinking it may be a a speed camera warning, then I turned off the Audio, then I opened and closed the sunroof a few times

then I checked all the doors and boot lid, and scanned the dash board for some visual clue........nada

in SETTINGS there is a BEEP, On or Off, so Off it went, but all to no avail

I have asked my dealer but unless he can drive the car during a beep session, he is none the wiser, but the sound follows no noticeable pattern....but the crazy part is, that if it does beep near a speed camera, then that seems the cause, but sometimes there is no camera...and anyway, the NAV is not On...

anybody have a similar conundrum, beep wise???

cheers barrycoll

I had a mysterious beep in my Yaris. Turned out to be my phone!

I had found that my mobile phone ran its Battery down rather quickly if it connected to the bluetooth thingie, so I got a car charger. The beep turned out to be the phone telling me it was fully charged (it doesn't seem to do that when you charge it on the mains at home).

Geoff

Have you got proximity sensors on the front? Mine give an occasional unexpected beep.

Mine beeps sometimes if I have a heavyish bag (no, not the wife) on the passenger seat. The car thinks someone's sat there who hasn't done their seat belt up. Only seems to beep when I go round a bend, transference of weight on to a sensor I suppose.

I find it difficult to differentiate between the speed camera and traffic beeps

no phone Geoff

no front sensors sagitar

beeps even with heavy 'bag' on passengers seat....but also without

what are 'traffic' beeps please Colin???

anyway, if NAV is OFF then how can this be responsible??

do beeps normally carry a dash board visual warning???

maybe I should try priuschat.com and see what our American cousins do......pull a hand gun probably

cheers barrycoll

Even if NAV is off it will double beep if it thinks there is a speed camera ahead, then another double beep when you are almost where it thinks the camera is. Unfortunately the maps include cameras that have been removed and do not include some new ones. Just to add to the confusion sometimes it stays silent for a camera - this happens to me on one road I use quite often, there are two cameras a couple of miles apart (not average speed cameras) and it always beeps for one of them but its about 50:50 for the second.

All good suggestions so far.

Another one - is it when the EV mode cuts out?

Is it possible to shut the beep up? The beep would be more annoying than the presence of the cameras. I wasnt aware that modern Prius incorporated such idiosyncrasies. I have a garnim which beeps if i am curising at the speed limit or above and there is a known camera location ahead... does the prius remain silent if you stay within or below the posted limit?

well thanks guys...

acactus may be on to something when he says that the beeps are a feature with or without the NAV On.....there certainly is a vague correlation to cameras, but maybe the mapping is out of date, camera wise, and so giving voice when none is needed, and no cameras spotted

there is no audio warning when I am being enthusiatic speed wise

as for the EV mode, optiflex, maybe there is a connection but it is something that I havn't noticed...but why would there be a warning for this change of status, and especially as the EV is cutting in and out pretty regularly???

so, as Geoff wants to know too, how does one turn the damn thing off, please?????

cheers barrycoll

I test drove a Prius + on Saturday and it beeped when dropping out of EV.

If the Prius is anything like the new Auris, then it will beep when it drops out of forced ev, i.e when you press the ev mode button and then drive too fast or the Battery runs low. It doesn't beep every time it drops out of ev mode normally, i.e when the ecu is flicking between ice and hsd of its own accord.

I haven't used the EV button in anger, so this shouldn't be the reason...

BUT, most importantly, how does one delete the Beep option????????????

cheers barrycoll

Being under the limit does not stop the speed camera beeps - if it did I would not hear any :angel:

Usually when the Prius beeps a warning, there will be a message on the main display (for a short while) and only a single beep. Things like dropping out of EV, trying to lock the keys in the car, removing the keys with the car still in READY, etc.

If you are getting double beeps that don't give a message on the display, it could be coming from the nav.

I don't have the touch and go nav and I never get double beeps, only single beeps.

Sat Navs also store mobile speed camera locations that have been recorded by drivers and have been logged and added to speed camera locations.There may not be a camera there at the time but it will still beep because it is stored on the Sat Nav memory.This is a spot where a mobile camera will be used on random occasions to catch unsuspecting drivers :batman:

well it does sound like the NAV is the culprit, so thanks Alan, and also to a-cactus, and cat-person (p.c!)

I have not stored any extra camera locations, because I still cannot even get my head around actually inputting a new destination...the ghost in the machine seems to favour Home above any of my efforts.....(and anyway, if you cannot spot a yellow camera, then maybe a trip to Specsavers may be in order)

...my garmin is just so easy in comparison, or maybe I just have not put in the Touch & Go man-hours yet....and when I do figure things out, then maybe there is something in Settings that will give am a Camera Warning Cancel option, as per the Garmin

cheers barrycoll

Yep, sounds like the speed camera warnings .. my wife's Yaris does this and I don't know how to stop this on the in dash Tom Tom ...it might be easier on the Touch and Go ..but then again ....

Have you turned off the 'show safety cameras' as per this link ?

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/double-beep_topic892_page2.html

The other link I found which may be of use although it is 217 pages, is a Touch and Go manual on the Toyota site but listed as legacy makes me think it is old. Might be of use though.

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/legacy/Toy/aimuploads/%7B7800871C-8234-9757-91F3-79F246498234%7D/Display_Audio_OM20B60E_ENG_LR.pdf

Maybe it is just one of those things that you have to get used to and ignore - like the reversing beep on the Gen 2 - now I have an Auris which beeps once I am thinking I have slipped out of reverse !

Best of luck

Peter

thanks Peter, you are a star....

after a strong coffee, it was time to open the 200 page Touch Screen book while in the car....so basically, when a Route has been set, the GO mapscreen shows in the bottom right hand side an OPTIONS link....scrolling down shows Speed camera options, such as Location, plus notification of exceeding speed limit by 5km/10kms/20kms etc etc...........OFF to everything, and now wait and see

cheers barrycoll

• 3 months later...

My 2012 T4 Auris Hybrid does exactly the same thing! I posted a separate question in the forum about it too. I do genuinely think it is the speed camera warning. At first I hadn't got a clue what was going on (having never owned a hybrid before) so thought a door was open or I hadn't done something correctly prior to setting off. Anyway, on a route home I deliberately went on a route I knew was loaded with speed cameras (stoke is full of them) and sure enough it double beeped as I approached each one.

Yes, speed camera alert and it works when the nav is off too.

• 3 years later...

I have exactly this double beep on my recently acquired 2016 Prius. I will investigate the speed camera settings. I am still after 4 days setting up the systems but I enjoy the challenge of these things. 

On 6 May 2013 at 5:13 PM, aCactus said:

... Unfortunately the maps include cameras that have been removed ... 

I get beeps in places where there were cameras, once upon a time, but which have not had a camera for over 10 years! 

Mr T is very, very cautious. 

Seemingly random (but geographically consistent) reminders to check one's speed have to be a safety feature, don't they? :smile: 

• Like 1

Nailed the problem, I took off the tick for show speed cameras and the double bleep has disappeared. Thanks for all the comments above. I don't find missing the warnings a problem because the satnav and Road Sign Assist always tell me what speed zone I am in. I took off the nagging voice saying 'you are over the speed limit' because it works on the RSA rather than satnav, and the system occasionally misses the derestricted signs and tells me the speed limit on motorways is 30mph.

10 minutes ago, DaveC34 said:

... the system occasionally misses the derestricted signs and tells me the speed limit on motorways is 30mph.

I find it's wrong about 10% of the time - almost enough to make me turn it off, as when it thinks you're exceeding the speed limit it replaces the HV System Indicator in the HUD with a RED speed limit sign (I've set it to only warn me if 5 mph over as the Road Sign Assist uses the speedo speed, rather that the true speed as the SatNav does).

Sometimes I've seen it display a limit of 110 mph, a grey 100 with a line through, or a 5 mph limit, amongst many other variations.  Sometimes (but not very often) while wrong it will pass several signs it normally recognises without correcting itself, almost as if the computer is too busy like MS Windows sometime is! (maybe the car is running Windows in the background - ughh - the thought of it!)