Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Decisions Decisions......

rambler

Just thought i would ask you all..........

As my confidence has been blighted in my Rav4 recently,i have contacted my local Enterprise rent a car with a view to hiring a new Vauxhall Corsa to drive to Cumbria in.

The cost of the fuel in my Rav4 to do the journey and back is near enough the same as it is to hire the vehicle from them inc one tank of fuel.(which i have to replenish)

That way i get a new car to drive there,its fully comp insurance,if it breaks down its replaced with another so i just carry on with my journey.

The only real worry i see is if it gets damaged by another party.

They collect me from where i live and will collect me once ive finished with it.

Just seems so easy to me.........

Obviously its not as comfy as my Rav,but i sat in one today at the dealership and was pleasantly suprised on how vauxhalls have changed in the last few years.

Have you driven one Jamie? Last one I had as a loaner was horrid in every way............

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to do the drive you're contemplating.

Just take your RAV but don't stop on the way - unless it's in the Peak district area.

I had an Enterprise Corsa and what impressed me was how quick the heated steering wheel came up to temp. Thats all. However, it does make good commercial sense.

Enterprise Corsa.....it's a car, Jimmy.....not as we know it.

William Shatner....she was none too pleased.......

By any chance, BK, was there a Spooner in your ancestors??

I can sense how your confidence in your rav has been dented by recent developments. Rent the corsa for your big trip (so you won't be worrying about things) then reconsider what you can do about your rav. Don't write it off as a bad job yet. In many cases it is better the devil you know when it comes to older vehicles.

Is that folks who spoke frack to bunt, Mirefac.....?

Corsa seats are terrible! SWMBO gets hire cars from Enterprise regularly. They have Mitsubishi Colts aswell which are woeful. The 1.2 is well underpowered. The 1.4 is not too bad. Take the Rav and if it happens to stop near Morley (M62/J27) give me a bell and I'll come to your rescue :-)

• Like 1

Is that folks who spoke frack to bunt, Mirefac.....?

Sey, I lebieve that's os........

I can sense how your confidence in your rav has been dented by recent developments. Rent the corsa for your big trip (so you won't be worrying about things) then reconsider what you can do about your rav. Don't write it off as a bad job yet. In many cases it is better the devil you know when it comes to older vehicles.

Hi Pogle

I'm glad you agree with me, i just could'nt go on holiday with all that worry on my shoulders and relax.

So it is the way to go,nice new car to drive up there.

I will keep the Rav for the forseeable future ,as its perfect for my life around here.

I'm test driving a Corsa on Saturday morning......just to see what one's like to drive,may be an experience :g:

What's wrong with your Rav4 anyway? How many miles on it and what maintenance have you done on it?

I don't live in UK but if I assume you are driving from Essex to Cumbria, it will be only 300 miles ish. Unless your rav4 is in terrible shape, you will have nothing to worry about for such a short trip.

Don't know how car rental fees are like in UK but do they charge you extra car insurance per day or per trip?

My recommendation is to wager between the cost to replenish your car vs the cost for the rental, but most importantly your happiness, then make a decision.

What's wrong with your Rav4 anyway? How many miles on it and what maintenance have you done on it?

I don't live in UK but if I assume you are driving from Essex to Cumbria, it will be only 300 miles ish. Unless your rav4 is in terrible shape, you will have nothing to worry about for such a short trip.

Don't know how car rental fees are like in UK but do they charge you extra car insurance per day or per trip?

My recommendation is to wager between the cost to replenish your car vs the cost for the rental, but most importantly your happiness, then make a decision.

Hi Scatty

Firstly welcome to the club :thumbsup:

I have a few posts in here and there on the forum with regard to a difficult to start hot engine,other on here have read about my troubles for the last few months.

I really really enjoy driving my Rav4,have had it for about 8 years now,i bought it 30'000 miles,its now got 120'000 miles on the clock,it still drives lovely and suits me perfectly.

Its been maintained by Toyota all but the last service,everything that has gone wrong / wore out has been replaced / fixed.

Its only issue now is a failure to start if i have to re fuel on a long motorway drive,if i've driven the vehicle for about an hour at constant speed 70-80 ish,and stop,turn of the engine,then try re starting it between 5-10 minutes later....it won't start.

If i let it cool down for a half hour or an hour or so,it starts with no problem at all.

So each time i re fuel ( 3 to 4 times )or stop to rest on my drive to Cumbria,i may have to sit in the service station for an hour before i can re start it.

For me,the drive to cumbria is just over 6 hours,i just cant do it in one long drive without a rest.

The cost of the hire car is within a little of the fuel cost of the Rav4,and the hire car hopefully wont have hot starting issues,it will be a almost new car,that will allow me , worry & hassle free drive there.

Have you tried the plunger/pump thingy yet as suggested by Anchorman and have you changed the fuel filter? If I was in your shoes I'd be on with that to eliminate an obvious possible cause (or with luck to cure the problem).

Take the Rav! It'll be fine.

Big Kiv

• Like 1

This sounds exactly like the problem on my 98 E320 last week.

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and the car worked again.

Members of the mercedes forum told me that the crankshaft position sensor sends signal to the computer to start pumping fuel to move the car. If the sensor is faulty, it will stop sending fuel, which probably was why your car stops. Then if you stop the car for a few mins or hours, the sensor cools down and it works again.

Have you replaced your CPS yet? It only costs few bucks.

If you try to star the car and the car cranks but never starts then it can only mean a few things

1) Your Battery is good

2) Your CPS is bad

3) Your fuel pump is a gonner

But like you said you were able to drive after it starts again, then your fuel pump is good. Then the culprit is probably the CPS.

• Like 1

After tring starting my hot engine,today......

So far today ( and very frustratlingly ) it seems fine,it starts as usual.

But.......where is that CPS please ,can i get to it easily ?,or is it buried in amongst everything else in there lol.

I don't know if your car has a CPS or not but my 2010 Rav4 has a crankshaft sensor. It probably looks like a tiny L shape upside down that hooks directly into the engine.

Google your car model and see if it uses that.

I google the car listed under your profile 2002 3 DOOR Rav4 D4D ' NRG' and many threads in this forum says check the MAF and SCV to make sure they are alive. I know the MAF is cheap but have no idea what is a SCV. Not sure why a MAF is needed to crank the car because usually it is meant for air conditioning related stuff (I could be wrong).

This is what a CPS look like on my U.S 2010 Rav4

http://www.jcwhitney.com/2006-2010-toyota-rav4/crankshaft-position-sensornew-oe-replacement/p3039331d2186y2006-2010j1.jcwx

Yeah also use a VIN decoder website to see what parts your car actually have. The crankshaft sensor is probably listed under Engine category.

I don't know if your car has a CPS or not but my 2010 Rav4 has a crankshaft sensor. It probably looks like a tiny L shape upside down that hooks directly into the engine.

Google your car model and see if it uses that.

I google the car listed under your profile 2002 3 DOOR Rav4 D4D ' NRG' and many threads in this forum says check the MAF and SCV to make sure they are alive. I know the MAF is cheap but have no idea what is a SCV. Not sure why a MAF is needed to crank the car because usually it is meant for air conditioning related stuff (I could be wrong).

This is what a CPS look like on my U.S 2010 Rav4

http://www.jcwhitney.com/2006-2010-toyota-rav4/crankshaft-position-sensornew-oe-replacement/p3039331d2186y2006-2010j1.jcwx

Ok dokey Scatty

Don't think mine has one from what i can find.......only on mk1 & mk3 Rav's,mines the mk2

Thanks anyway

I could be wrong though....often are.

Don't get your UK diesel RAV mixed up with Scattys US petrol engined model Rambs.

Don't get your UK diesel RAV mixed up with Scattys US petrol engined model Rambs.

Oh....and ok. :blushing:

Thanks Don.

So did you check out your MAF and SCV? I know the MAF is very easy to replace. Not sure why a 120k miles rav4 needs it replaced though. My 98 E320 never had it replaced and it is at 150k miles now, still running.

So did you check out your MAF and SCV? I know the MAF is very easy to replace. Not sure why a 120k miles rav4 needs it replaced though. My 98 E320 never had it replaced and it is at 150k miles now, still running.

Hi Scatty

Have removed my MAF sensor twice in the last year or so,as its so easy to do,and soaked the sensor wires and the attached multiplugs with CRC MAF sensor spray on both occasions.

My SCV's were replaced by toyota at about 80'000 miles,as at that point i had broken down ,it was them that had failed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok dokey...........

The day is almost here ,i'm driving to Cumbria for a week in the mountains tomorrow,all 259 miles of lovely smooth comfortable , driving in my Rav4.

I intend setting off about 6am,and hope for a nice hassle free journey.....here's hoping. :lol:

I go walking in Cumbria around 12 times a year,and its a beautiful area.

You probably don't need telling,but make sure you have your torch,whistle and compass.. and most importantly always tell someone your planned route and return time.

And have a great time..the weather forecast isn't too bad.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links