Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying From Toyota

M4cc45

Hi,

I've put a deposit down on a used Toyota the other day and signed the documentaiton. But now I'm thinking about cancelling it due to a few reasons but I wondered if anyone knew what the forefits was or if there was a cooling down period?

I ask because on all of the documentation I can't see anything about cancelling it only about them cancelling the order.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, you're going to at least lose your deposit. Once a contract of
sale has been entered into, neither party can simply 'cancel', but this does not
mean to say that you now have to buy the car. As soon as you sign an order form,
you enter a binding contract of sale. Your only options are then to continue
with the contract, or put yourself in breach of contract by 'refusing to
accept'.

If you 'refuse to accept' you will be liable for damages to the
dealer for non-acceptance under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. The amount of these
damages will be the difference between the contract price, (the price agreed
between you and the dealer), and the market price, as well as any losses the
seller has incurred in reliance on the sale, (for example administration costs,
special alterations to the order and so on).

The same would apply to any other dealer - not just Toyota.

That's fine. On my order form it says the mileage. Having looked on the website the mileage is out by around 8k (which is an increase of 50%) so I'd guess this at least gives me some negation anyway.

Worth an ask I guess!

Why did you not tell us that rather pertinent detail in your original post? ......surely you checked the mileage before you signed the order!

Without the facts you will not really get the correct advice on here

I never mentioned it until I re-read the order and checked the website. I was under the impression from the test drive that it had done 22ishk - but the order says 18k. So I then checked the website which says 25k. I knew it was around 20k and if it was 20k I wouldn't have looked twice between the two figures. As it's done an extra 7k (almost half of it's overall mileage) I think it's probably worth the ask.

At the very least, based on the above, I'd imagine it's worth asking for some money off the price. On my order form it does have a section where it says the mileage is/isn't correct - which is blank.

As soon as I speak to the sales guy I'll see what he says.

As it is apparently a Toyota dealer rather than, well, a second hand car dealer, I'd put the legal stuff on hold at first. If you just go in and explain your concerns politely and say you want to cancel, they may be agreeable to a no penalty termination - very likely if they think you might yet buy from them at some point.

Are you thinking of getting a different car from them, or going elsewhere, or not getting at all? As RedYaris says, you've not given us much to go on. If your other half has said she doesn't like the colour - it's OK; we won't make (much) fun of you :lol:

Sorry it was a rather open question.

Essentially I do still like the car - there are two concerns I have:

1. Repair bill to my car is significantly lower than Toyota quoted (by >50%)

2. New car mileage seems to vary online and on the order form this was specifically mentioned when I asked what the difference between the two cars were (one was a grand cheaper - the answer was it hadn't done many miles - now to find out that the mileage is >50% more than on the order is annoying)

I'm awaiting a call from Toyota to discuss this - I was only asking a general question as to what the forfeits were for my worst case scenario.

Oh and it's from a Toyota main dealer.

P.S. The colours fine :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links