Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Rav 4 Side Steps

Sirbob01

Point Nummerwan mins : Andy shcm does indeed have a very smart perra tubes along his bottom........believe me.

Point Nummertoo mins : Jamesy.......should you opt for the older style wans, they are deffo better in both sturdyfulness and practicality as far as them doing some crud saving from vehicle sides. As you are probably aware, the brackets as I said before are (good) castings, and would benefit greatly from a fair degree of weather proofing/priming/ rust prevention prior to fitting.

Like yursell, the old one look fine........

Point Nummerwan mins : Andy shcm does indeed have a very smart perra tubes along his bottom........believe me.

Point Nummertoo mins : Jamesy.......should you opt for the older style wans, they are deffo better in both sturdyfulness and practicality as far as them doing some crud saving from vehicle sides. As you are probably aware, the brackets as I said before are (good) castings, and would benefit greatly from a fair degree of weather proofing/priming/ rust prevention prior to fitting.

Another point to consider if you go for the old heavies, you need to cut / modify the plastic protectors underneath.

Another point to consider if you go for the old heavies, you need to cut / modify the plastic protectors underneath.

Oops min........new wan on me........no comprende.......what plastic?

On the 4.3 there is a small amount of cutting of the plastic undertrays to be done to allow the support rails to be bolted to the underside of the body. Not sure if same on 4.4........

See page 4 of attached PDF

Side steps.pdf

On the 4.3 there is a small amount of cutting of the plastic undertrays to be done to allow the support rails to be bolted to the underside of the body. Not sure if same on 4.4........

That is really useful, David. Many thanks for posting it up.

At the risk of seeming cheeky, I don't suppose you have the fitting manual for the "stylish" version do you?

Indeed, a bit of cutting to be done. If you opt for the stylish ones, you just remove one clip, slacken off a plastic nut and slip the

long angle bracket underneath the plastic covers. Then re-tighten the plastic nut, re-fit the clip.

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7BB25087E0-F146-D101-9950-0D208319F146%7D/Side%20steps%20PZ415-X2903-00%20AIM%20001%20455-2.pdf

Not sure what model is shown here because I did not have those large plastic covers they show to remove completely.

Nor does it show the actual plastic covers which I did partially remove.

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7BB25087E0-F146-D101-9950-0D208319F146%7D/Side%20steps%20PZ415-X2903-00%20AIM%20001%20455-2.pdf

Not sure what model is shown here because I did not have those large plastic covers they show to remove completely.

Nor does it show the actual plastic covers which I did partially remove.

Excellent, Dave. Thank you.

Indeed, a bit of cutting to be done. If you opt for the stylish ones, you just remove one clip, slacken off a plastic nut and slip the

long angle bracket underneath the plastic covers. Then re-tighten the plastic nut, re-fit the clip.

Funnily enough though, Chaps, if you look at the installation manuals for both types, the oldies are quoted as 9.8 Kg and the stylish are 23 Kg........

Error of the largest magnitude there, Jim.........I know the oldies on wifes 3 door have 3 cast brackets, and remember......the sidesteps are shorter on a 3 door. The BRACKETS ALONE, the set of 3, must weigh a kilo (2.2 lbs......a bagga sugar) EACH. So the brackets constitute nearly a turd of the total weight of 10 kilos. The best thing about the oldies is the thickness of aluminium used on them, as Dave m said, and they deffo weigh more than 7 kilos (15 lbs)

Get the oldies though......they really are well builded beasties.

Funnily enough though, Chaps, if you look at the installation manuals for both types, the oldies are quoted as 9.8 Kg and the stylish are 23 Kg........

A typo surely.

A typo surely.

That was my thought as well, Dave, but I can't figure out which is wrong and by how much. I assumed that the 9.8Kg seemed about right but then is there simply a decimal point missing from the 23, i.e. it should be 2.3 Kg? But that doesn't make sense as they surely can't be a quarter the weight of the old ones especially given that they both seem to use the same iron girder bracketry, according to the instruction sheets anyway.

I'm thinking that maybe the weight difference isn't that great inthe end. Anyway, I'm still leaning towards the oldies though....

• 4 weeks later...

If any one is still after some genuine Toyota side steps in very good condition (purchased from Kingo) I am selling mine (link below) as we are more than likely going to end up part ex'ing the car at some point over the next few months and I can't see me getting any more money for the car with the side steps on so I may as well get shot.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/154652-t180-bits-pieces-up-for-grabs/

Message me if anyone is interested

Worth bearing in mind regarding insurance, I was charged extra because I had side steps fitted. It was only later on when I wanted to make another modification to my car that I managed to negotiate having the side steps not classed as a modification. This was because they were dealer fitted genuine Toyota parts.

Error of the largest magnitude there, Jim.........I know the oldies on wifes 3 door have 3 cast brackets, and remember......the sidesteps are shorter on a 3 door. The BRACKETS ALONE, the set of 3, must weigh a kilo (2.2 lbs......a bagga sugar) EACH. So the brackets constitute nearly a !Removed! of the total weight of 10 kilos. The best thing about the oldies is the thickness of aluminium used on them, as Dave m said, and they deffo weigh more than 7 kilos (15 lbs)

Get the oldies though......they really are well builded beasties.

Took your advice, Oh Sage of the North. Piccie attached.

Next up, mudflaps!

post-49435-0-27635100-1388402948_thumb.j

Mind you, having watched the repeat of the TG Arctic Episode last night, that Arctic Trucks-modified HiLux makes the RAV look decidedly weedy.

I'd love one of those things!!!

Looking totally fine there, Jimbob.......and standard fludmaps will fit them without Dremellification.......guid move min.

Was looking for lotsa smileys on the right there......forgot where ah was.........probably "a rule" aboot having them on show.......?

• Like 2