Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adding Cruise Control To A 2004 4.2

Mark Jackson

Hi

I'm looking to add cruise control to my 2004 XT3.

I've checked all the usual bits such as compatible ECU, drive by wire throttle, wiring for clutch switch etc and all looked promising. My problem is with the connector on the steering wheel. All other posts talk about simply plugging the cruise control switch cable into the connector on the steering wheel, however the only connector on my steering wheel is taken up by the audio control cable as shown in the attached photographs.

Do I need an additional cable or a different audio remote.

Has anyone else come across this problem before.

All help gratefully accepted.

Many thanks

Mark

post-131394-0-42555900-1368469629_thumb.

post-131394-0-44094300-1368469642_thumb.

post-131394-0-84916400-1368469655_thumb.

Hi

I have done this on an 2004 XT4. On this you removed the wires and pins from the eBay cruise switch connector and inserted them in the bigger of the two connectors in your diagram. (Pin 4 and 5)

(NB on my cruise switch they were the same pin types)

For an XT4 pin 4 should be earth and pin 5 should go to the cruise pin on ECU connector E18 pin 24.

Only problem is you might not have a wire between the ECU and pin 5, as I am not sure if cruise was ever an option on the XT3.

I would suggest you pay a few euros and download the wiring diagrams, connector diagrams and their locations from the Toyota tech website. There is also a diagram showing Cruise switch wiring.

There was a white 7 pin u shaped connector (type 90980-11739) near the pedals that has two spare unconnected wires pin 4 and 5 these are for the clutch switch on an XT4. I carefully removed the unused wires from the connector and made up a short two wire extension with a connector in it to go to the clutch
switch.

Pin 5 went to ECU pin 10 on E18

Pin 4 goes to +12 with ignition on

A Clutch switch was purchased from Toyota for approx £20

Be careful there is plenty of potential to cause expensive damage, please only use my information as a guide and double check the wiring on your car with a meter,this is certainly not a simple DIY.

Good luck

Hi, I have a 2004 Rav D4D and cruise control was installed on delivery. It is a Toyota approved item. I think it is Gold Cruise AP-300 or AP-500

Many thanks for the replies.

I've downloaded the wiring diagrams and connector details and will check that all wiring to the ECU is present over the next couple of days.

I'll update if and when I attempt it and let you know if it was a success or not.

I've downloaded the wiring diagrams and connector details and will check that all wiring to the ECU is present over the next couple of days.

I'll update if and when I attempt it and let you know if it was a success or not.

That would be very helpful, Mark. I've thought about it for our 54-reg 3-dr auto as it tends to do quite long M-way runs, so CC would be useful. But I've hesitated in the face of some of the comments on here in the past. A real-world 4.2 experience would add a lot to the discussion.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be very helpful, Mark. I've thought about it for our 54-reg 3-dr auto as it tends to do quite long M-way runs, so CC would be useful. But I've hesitated in the face of some of the comments on here in the past. A real-world 4.2 experience would add a lot to the discussion.

Place wording '4.2 cruise control' in search box and search forums...one will come up! I am Sniper9652 in this previos topic! I have had this Gold-Cruise by Conrad Anderson for over 2.5 years and it has been superb and faultless!!

Place wording '4.2 cruise control' in search box and search forums...one will come up! I am Sniper9652 in this previos topic! I have had this Gold-Cruise by Conrad Anderson for over 2.5 years and it has been superb and faultless!!

I also fitted the Gold Cruise supplied by Conrad Anderson on my RAV4.2 XT3 (install info here ... http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/84214-cruise-control-installation/ )

Very easy to install and worked really well - and, IMO, far superior to the factory cruise system with the control unit I fitted, and used it extensively on regular journeys from Devon to Hampshire, and later on, Devon to Scotland.

PS - I actually have the unit I fitted for sale as I de-installed it when sold the RAV ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Cruise control now fitted and working.

In response to comments on my original post I downloaded the relevant wiring diagrams from the Toyota tech website and carried out a full set of continuity checks between the ECU connections and the steering wheel, brake switch and clutch switch.

After removing the knee panel for better access I found my first problem. What I though was the clutch switch connector tapped to the brake switch wiring loom turned out to be a small electronics module wrapped in foam. So no connection for the clutch switch, there were however empty pin locations on the combined brake, clutch switch connector IE1 for the wires (connections 4-5). A quick check on toyo.diy showed that the same clutch switch is used on the 2000 – 2005 Previa amongst others as was the same cruise control switch as the RAV4.

By a shear stroke of luck my local scrapyard had two manual previa’s including one with cruise control. Some quick spanner, screwdriver and wire cutter work later I was in possession of a clutch switch with connector, a cruise control switch with connector and various connectors with wires which I hoped would match the pins on the brake switch connector IE1 for a total cost of £30.00.

Before making up the new clutch switch connecting wire I confirmed that the following connections existed between these connections.

Steering wheel connector C18

pin 5 to ECU E18 connector pin 24

pin 4 to ECU E15 connector pin 1

Combined brake and clutch switch connector IE1

Pin 1 to ECU E18 connector pin 12

Pin 5 to ECU E18 connector pin 10

Once the correct pins were found for the IE1 connector I soldered them to the wires on the clutch switch and inserted them into pin locations 4 and 5 of the connector. As the connector and wires are from a Previa the colour codes don’t match but it’s a minor concern.

Once the clutch switch was complete it was a minor and more comfortable job to cut an opening in the steering wheel housing and fit the cruise control switch, the pins on the Previa’s wires matched the ones on the RAV4 and were a simple push fit.

A quiet road for a test drive and it all worked perfectly, I only wish I had managed to fit it before I drove down to Cornwall and back as it would have been a more relaxing trip.

Regards

Mark

post-131394-0-43360900-1371911139_thumb.post-131394-0-37695800-1371911137_thumb.post-131394-0-96074600-1371911140_thumb.post-131394-0-06460700-1371911233_thumb.

Sorry I don't have photos of the clutch wiring but I couldn't get a good one under the dashboard.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi.

New to the forum but i have been watching a while ago.

I have the same steering switch on my rav4 mk2 2.0 2004 petrol model.

Can you please confirm that the empty pin locations you are refering are in the white connector in the following picture? Or can you point where to find and solder the wires for the clutch switch?

post-118895-0-18188800-1391353613_thumb.

Hi

Yes the white connector shown is the one where you connect the wires from the clutch switch.

on RHD vehicles it is called the IE1 connector and on LHD vehicles it is the ID1 connector.

The clutch switch has a two pin C17 connector and is connected as follows.

RHD

C17 pin 1 to IE1 pin 4, C17 pin 2 to IE1 pin 5.

LHD

C17 pin 1 to ID1 pin 9, C17 pin 2 to ID1 pin 2.

The pins on the clutch switch I got from the breakers yard did not fit the IE1 connector, so I got another IE1 connector from a rav4 and cut two pins out of it.

I then soldered these two pins to the wires from the clutch switch and fitted them to the IE1 connector on my Rav4.

I hope this helps but if you need anymore information just ask.

Τhanks very much.

When i get the parts i will post here and contact you :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Just to inform, i managed to fit the CC into my car (rav4 executive). thanks for all the info you provided. It is a simple task.

Just to inform, my ID1 connector, had 2 wires (white with black line) that were connected together, on the brake side wiring harness. Used these 2 pins, after i put them in the correct place and solder extensions to wire the clutch switch.

post-118895-0-56720900-1392717534_thumb.

post-118895-0-88407400-1392717587_thumb.

That's a better arrangement than mine which had no pins in those locations.

I/m happy that everything worked OK, having cruise control is a big benefit on long journeys.

• 6 months later...

I would like to thank you Mark for this write up!

I love cruise control and couldnt do without on my newly purchased late 2003 Rav 4.2 xt3 Manual drive by wire. Unfortunately I could not find another toyota with the parts in local salvage yards so i purchased a used oem stalk & clutch switch online. These are rare! I did have to cut a few wiring harnesses out of other toyotas for the correct fitting pins

Its certainly 100 times easier to install on this than on a pre 2002 BMW non drive by wire car! No splicing wires either! My only problem was getting the correct plug in for the clutch pedal switch. I couldnt get one anyway but I did get a similar one from a toyota which I had to shave a little plastic piece off.

I'd be happy to write up my install with pics if anyone was interested.

The only thing that annoys me about this motor is the overly soft and sensitive throttle pedal! Is there a solution to stiffen it up?

• 5 years later...

Hello all. 
I have an ‘04 RAV4 (facelift) 2.0L petrol, but with the automatic gearbox. As it’s an auto, is it simply a matter of ‘plug and play’ with the cruise control unit? Or is there more to it? Thank you. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links