Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Is That Pipe And What Does It Do?

My first toyota

Hi all.

Right, you'll have to bear with me because Im trying to explain a problem without the jargon.

One of my injectors was leaking so I had it re-sealed for £60. Now Im getting really bad mpg from my car compared to before. Starting is an issue too so I thought I need to put some forte injector cleaner in.

Anyway, I noticed today that the big air intake pipe from the air filter has a smaller pipe coming out of it connecting to the engine at the top right of the engine. And it has oily residue on it? And the pipe is split but held on at the engine end. What is that smaller pipe and what does it do? Could this be the culprit of crap mpg?

Sorry if this doesnt make sense. Ill try n get pictures if I can. Thanks in advance.

sounds like breather or pcv valve..what model and year is your car?

Its a 2004 2.0 d4d avensis.

What does the breather pipe do? Mine is split where it meets the engine. Do I need to get it changed asap or can it wait?

it vents the fumes from crankcase and burns them off to keep emissions down..can u take a pic and post it up..wat model u got petrol or diesel?

Mines a diesel.

I put some injector cleaner in the tank today and took it for an italian tune up on the motorway. Lets see how it starts tomorrow. Mpg is still lower than before but I think Im overreacting as the average mpg on the onboard computer isnt always accurate. Im still curious though why before the injector was sealed, it read 42-45ish and now its about 38mpg.

If it makes a difference Id like to add that when I got the car back after the injector was sealed all my radio stations were deleted and the clock was about an hour behind which makes me think he must've disconnected the Battery to do the work. Can that make the mpg meter read things inaccurately?

yeah they have taking the Battery off..you take off the neg terminal for 30mins or more then reconnect it take it a drive but go easy dont over rev it! the computer should relearn and hopefully your mpg should reset.

So nothing to worry about then?

is the pipe split in half? if yes get a new one or one from the scrappy!

Oh no its not split in half. Its just split a little bit at the end but the jubilee clip holds it on.

I was just wondering if it could be responsible for the lower mpg but I dont think it is. Thats the only thing I could find wrong that was obvious when I had a look around. Iv put some injector cleaner in today so shall report back if the mpg increases again (hopefully). Apart from that I dont really know what else to do to get better mpg.

check tyre pressure too.also stay clear from supermarket fuel.when was your last service done? oil air and fuel filters?

I fill up with Shell diesel. Not that fancy v power stuff, just ordinary diesel.

Trye pressure is fine, 35 psi all round.

Last service was in nov. Since then Iv done about 5000 miles. All filters were changed then. Shouldn't need servicing so soon should it?

no not really..try and reset mpg by taking off neg Battery term and wait 30mins or so then take it a spin go thru all gears nice and easy.should reset!

Will do and report back. Thanks for the help. Appreciate it