Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs Code 58 (1996 Carina E 1,6)

frozenchosen

Hi all

The ABS light is coming on intermittently. Did a diagnostic check for the ABS and got the error code 58. I could not find this code on the usual lists of ABS error codes, so I re-checked it three times and it was definitely code 58.

After much searching of the Internet I came across this site, which explains error codes:

(This particular page is supposed to cover Carina.)

http://codes.rennacs.com/plugins/ToyotaABS/TOYOTA-ABS-18-Paseo.php

The only explanation for code 58 is: "This Relates to Brake pedal position (BPP) switch."

http://codes.rennacs.com/FaultCodes.php?reference=TOYOTA-ABS-18&FaultCode=58

I have been searching the Internet for hours but have not been able to find any more information about this.

Can anyone give me further clues on how to resolve this?

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

SOLVED

I still can't believe this. I had searched the Internet, asked Toyota, and tried all sorts of things. I had eventually given up.

Then one day about a month ago I noticed that both main brake lights were not working. (A secondary light in the rear window was still working.) It turned out that the bulbs were blown, so I duly replaced them. The next day I noticed that the ABS light was no longer coming on. It has not reappeared since.

The only way I can understand this is that the ABS system somehow monitors the brake pedal position through the brake light switch. Somehow the fact that two bulbs were blown was affecting the monitoring of the brake switch.

I really don't know, but I hope that this info may help others.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem 8 years ago and the problem was the failure of the rear break light switch under the brake pedal.

• 6 years later...

Your information very useful for us

Very thankful I find my rear brake lamps are blown I changed both and every thing goes great...

Abs 100% working now🖒

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links