Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 2000 Ve Maintenance

fedecape

Hi !

I just wanted to ask a few engine-maintenance questions.

I bought my car 3500 miles ago and I have only changed the oil (transmission, power steering and differential fluids were also refilled).

1) What OIL should I ask for? I'm currently running on Castrol Part Synthetic 5w-30

I live in South Miami, a really hot place.

3) How do I check if the coolant is "fine"? or.. just buy more? Which one?

I added some Chevron Fuel System cleaner the last time I fueled the tank.

4) Any other recommendable product to buy and apply?

5) Tips? Anything that I should check or have checked often ?

130K miles, about 300 miles per tank and seems to be burning about 1QT of oil every 2500 miles.

Thanks!

Hi,

Can I just ask if you intended to post in the Corolla UK forum as there are a couple of US based Corolla forums which might better help you ?

To comment on your points, seems you are using a heck of a lot of oil and have a lowish mpg though that depends a lot on your driving habits/ journeys.

For older engines have seen several entries saying its better to use a thicker oil like 10w-40 so this might reduce the oil burning.

10w-40 is acceptable in the UK Toyota handbook but worth checking its ok in the US handbook.

Again not sure what US engines use, but here the later models had Toyotas Long Life red coolant , good for 100k miles, so if yours is red then changing it for the same would be wise.

Think its important whatever you use to use de-ionised water if its a concentrate solution.

Have you checked/ changed the engines air filter, a very dirty one would increase you mpg.

Also if fitted check /change the pollen/cabin filter with can dramatically affect the air con.

Hope that helps, but not sure what happen to your question #2 :)

Hi,

Can I just ask if you intended to post in the Corolla UK forum as there are a couple of US based Corolla forums which might better help you ?

To comment on your points, seems you are using a heck of a lot of oil and have a lowish mpg though that depends a lot on your driving habits/ journeys.

For older engines have seen several entries saying its better to use a thicker oil like 10w-40 so this might reduce the oil burning.

10w-40 is acceptable in the UK Toyota handbook but worth checking its ok in the US handbook.

Again not sure what US engines use, but here the later models had Toyotas Long Life red coolant , good for 100k miles, so if yours is red then changing it for the same would be wise.

Think its important whatever you use to use de-ionised water if its a concentrate solution.

Have you checked/ changed the engines air filter, a very dirty one would increase you mpg.

Also if fitted check /change the pollen/cabin filter with can dramatically affect the air con.

Hope that helps, but not sure what happen to your question #2 :)

I tried posting on US forums, but seems everybody is busy.. Or my questions are too complicated..

I drive about 300 miles a week (about 500km) and most of them on highways and high-speed avenues.

My current tank is almost empty and I have only driven about 230 miles.. Same fuel, same trips.

My next oil change should be in about a week, so I'll make sure to ask for 10W-40. I guess Castrol is the best brand here.

My coolant is red, and I have no idea about its age. Anything that I can do to know if it needs to be changed?

The air filter is fine, looks clean to me.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

What do you think?

--

Thank you very much !

Hi,

Think I would change that filter, assume you have no idea when it was fitted ?

Looks a bit grey, indicating a lot of fine particles have been trapped.

I always tend to change if in any doubt.

As for your coolant, well doubt you need it for its anti freeze properties like we do here in the UK.

If it looks 'clean' perhaps leave it in, but otherwise change it so you know for sure its all good.

Toyota Red is expensive but you can use any other, best to flush out the old stuff completely if changing brands.

As for fuel consumption, believe yours is a 1.8L, probably automatic ? - so no real idea what you should expect from that unit.

Most of our Rollas are manuals with 1.4l or 1.6l engines plus a few 1.8l sports.

All you can really do is ensure the filters etc are good, as you are doing and make sure things like the brakes and handbrake are not binding on.

Also check the plugs are the right type and in good condition, again it might be time to change them anyway - not that expensive.

Beyond that think you might need it testing by a garage to see if there is some deeper problem..?

Hi,

Think I would change that filter, assume you have no idea when it was fitted ?

Looks a bit grey, indicating a lot of fine particles have been trapped.

I always tend to change if in any doubt.

As for your coolant, well doubt you need it for its anti freeze properties like we do here in the UK.

If it looks 'clean' perhaps leave it in, but otherwise change it so you know for sure its all good.

Toyota Red is expensive but you can use any other, best to flush out the old stuff completely if changing brands.

As for fuel consumption, believe yours is a 1.8L, probably automatic ? - so no real idea what you should expect from that unit.

Most of our Rollas are manuals with 1.4l or 1.6l engines plus a few 1.8l sports.

All you can really do is ensure the filters etc are good, as you are doing and make sure things like the brakes and handbrake are not binding on.

Also check the plugs are the right type and in good condition, again it might be time to change them anyway - not that expensive.

Beyond that think you might need it testing by a garage to see if there is some deeper problem..?

1.8L automatic. You're right

Just curious, what is the fuel automomy of Uk rollas?

As you suggested, I'll be buying a new air filter after work. I guess it won't be hard to find.

Thank you very much!

Oh, and about the oil.

10W-40. Regular, part OR full synthetic?

Regards!

Hi,

Most UK rollas are manual 1.4 and 1.6L which easily give 40mpg on a highway trip.

Not sure about the UK 1.8L versions which are more sportier tuned engines and likely to be driven hard -perhaps some of those guys might come in and answer that point..

Don't forget to check / renew the spark plugs, they can really affect the mpg /performace

I use 5w-30 full synth on my rolla as its low mileage, but my previous 1.8L Toyota Avensis used a decent part synth 10W-40 and it still used under 1Ltr of oil per 10k miles even with 150k miles on the clock.

( think the Avensis is a saloon version of your Scion tC coupe..?)

ps. might be worth checking your US forums about excessive oil usage, Toyota Engines typically around early 2000- 2004 did have some engine block problems causing high consumption.

Toyota did repair /exchange some engines but here in the UK believe they do not do it any more as the affected models just too old to prove a manufacturing defect against fair wear and tear/high mileage.

Though should see what the 10W-40 and a new oil filter does before going though all that.

Don't forget our gallons are 4.546 litres where a US gallon is 3.8. Walmart sell a really good anti-freeze/ooolant tester for about 3 dollars. Do not remove the filler cap unless the coolant is cold.