Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Odd Heating Problem!

Kryten

Hello again, noticed this morning that only cold air was coming from the centre vent on the passenger side, on doing some testing it turns out no warm/hot air is coming from the whole of the passenger side!

I have the all electronic rocker switch type controls with Climate Control, so even selecting the "dual" (individual) temp. settings and position of vent exit has no effect.

Has anyone come upon this before and could anyone offer some help as to the necessary solution?

Many thanks.

Weird. Sounds as though the control mechanism isn't working for the passenger side. I haven't worked on this set up on mine but I bet its a right sod to get at.

Can you find the hoses that feed the heater matrix? If so and you can get a hand on them you could check that hot coolant is getting through. Its unlikely that it isn't but at least you will know whether it is before doing the old laying-in-the footwell-trying-to-see-how-it-all-fits-together thing. Having first removed the glove box to aid access.

Many thanks for your reply, I thought everyone had abandoned me! My faith is restored. :)

It is booked in at main dealer Monday, I will let you know the outcome in the hope it will help anyone who encounters the same symptoms.

Um, have you put a limit on how much cost they can incur before they call you for permission to go further? I only ask as I had a bit of a shock from a bike dealer when they spent quite a while working and came back with 'no fault found'.

Um, have you put a limit on how much cost they can incur before they call you for permission to go further? I only ask as I had a bit of a shock from a bike dealer when they spent quite a while working and came back with 'no fault found'.

Exactly, make sure to tell them not to proceed with any remedial works until you have given permission. They will, no doubt, charge a "diagnostic" fee anyway whatever you decide.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will mention that they should notify me before actually going ahead with any work with some idea as to the cost, BUT, what choice do I really have?

The problem has to be rectified and due to the complex electronic nature of the system these days (servos, motors, relays, etc.) could a "normal" garage correctly identify the cause and remedy it properly? :(

Okay, as promised, the outcome of the diagnosis at Hills Toyota Woodford and the verdict is.........................................................................................................................................................................."Can't find anything wrong,.............................yet"!

They need the car back for at least a day or maybe two, because now the whole of the dash has to come out, to view where the ducts come-from/go-to, at least the matrix is okay.

So, they have booked a courtesy car for me this time, for two days starting Monday 3rd June.

Today's investigation has cost me about £125.00, but in actual fact I had to Shell out a total of just under £500.00 because the front-discs and front and rear brake pads needed changing. :(

Come back for the final outcome in June. :wacko:

Okay so the additional cost is a bit of a kick in the crotch but at least your brakes are tip top now and won't catch you out at MOT time.

Um, do you really need to get the heater working that much that you want to throw a whole days labour costs at it? We are starting to talk some serious open ended commitment to cost here - and I suspect that it may take another day to put it all back together again once (if) they have found the fault.

I would be looking for a firm price quote for the job (ie a guaranteed figure that they are going to charge to fix it) otherwise you may find yourself as the local dealer's main sponsor as they continue to try to fix it at your expense.

You are correct when you say the brakes are in tip-top condition, the difference is remarkable and very assuring and I'm glad it was done.

To be honest, it didn't come as much of a shock, as I knew that the brakes needed doing soon and since I was there anyway it was just common sense to get the work done all in one go.

I could have refused the discs I suppose, but what is the point of putting brand new pads on a badly worn and heavily grooved surface? Besides the fact they will probably wear much faster initially, there is, of course, a limit as to how much wear is allowed on the discs before they fail the MOT of course.

Thanks to all for the feedback so far.