Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dropping It

Darth IQ73

If I'm planning to put 18" new wheels and therefore slimline tyres on my IQ1 (2010) to supersede my pram-like 15" ones, do I NEED to drop it (ie 35mm - several posts I've seen in relation) or is dropping it 35mm for looks only?

Does it have any performance or mechanical advantage in doing this?

Or can I simply buy new wheels and swap them over without any hitch. . . . ?

Thanks for any 'layman' explanations !!

Hi Matt

There is a chap here who has 18" wheels on his iQ and I'm sure he'll be along soon to say what size tyres, offset Etc he went for.

How are the roads where you are? The lower the profile on the tyres the harsher the ride will be so expect to feel the bumps a bit more with 18" wheels. I have a set of 17" ones waiting in the garage to replace my standard 16" wheels as I thought the 18" would be a bit too far with the roads where I live.

I didn't like the look of the 35mm lowering springs and I still wanted the car to go over speed bumps so I opted for the Eibach 25mm front and 30mm rear lowering springs which are actually the same as the genuine Toyota lowering springs.

They do make the car appear different but they also make it roll less on corners, it feels more stable on the road at speed and the ride quality wasn't really changed so I'm very impressed with them.

Take a look at page 6 onwards on my thread to see what it looks like with the springs fitted.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/134890-an-iq-called-toya/

You don't have to fit the springs with the tyres, you could just get the new wheels and bolt them on the car as it is but you may find they look a bit odd with such thin rubber in a very open wheel arch. Up to you but I'd get the wheels first and try them and fit the springs if you feel they look lost in the wheel arches.

Be sure to post pictures. :)

Craig.

That's a useful webpage George.

Shows that my choice of new tyres will be a very good match. I'm going from 175/60 16 to 205/45 17 and the rolling diameter is 0.1mm different. Close enough for me. :)

Craig.

• Like 1

Hi

This is mine with 18 x 215 x 35 Lowered by Toyota 25 and rear 30

As has been said Bumpy ride but sticks to the road like glue Superb Cornering

David

post-109788-0-66094700-1368886685_thumb.

Cheers all. Wheels not bought yet, but toying with 17" now rather than 18".

The look is quite comparable. I just think that lowering it takes all the room out of the arches and sets the look off perfectly.

I couldn't get that link to work George, but thank you all the same.

Thanks for all the input though !! :)