Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Limp Mode Dpf Removal

Tarn

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Rav Diesel which keeps going into limp mode, every 2 weeks or so. It's been back and forth to dealer whilst under warranty and even had new engine but they don't seem to be able to find fault.

I've been told by various people who have owned diesels, that's it's the diesel particulate filter and that this can be removed. Has anyone else had same problems and/or have had their DPF removed?

Have had this problem since owning the car, approximately 2 years, bought from a Toyota dealer. Warranty has just run out and have been told by Toyota they will be charging me if it happens again, feel this is unfair as the car's never been right since I bought it.

Any advice appreciated.

I presume the engine was replaced for this reason (or was it something else?), and under warranty (i.e. no cost to you)?

If you alerted the dealer to the fault while the vehicle was under warranty, and the fault is still there, then they have failed to rectify it. The fact that the warranty period is now over is not relevant. You alerted them to the problem, and they must continue to rectify it under warranty.

This is a very serious matter, and you should immediately contact the legal department of AA/RAC/whoever, and take their advice. You should also contact your local Trading Standards department, and bring them up to speed.

Keep all receipts, reports, bills, correspondence, and anything else.

Don't try to argue with the dealer on your own - get some help from the professionals. And don't take the vehicle to any other garage, and do not modify it in any way - it will only complicate matters. Keep it simple.

You have numerous consumer rights here, so you must use them quickly now.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

Thanks for your advice Chris, yes the engine was replaced due to this problem, under warranty and the problem is ongoing.

I shall take legal advice and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

Tarnia

Good. Keep smiling!

Chris

The engine could not be replaced under warranty for an undiagnosed limp mode

What are the stored fault codes?

As a consumer your rights diminish as each day goes by. You surely have not had limp mode every two weeks for two years???

What I suspect you mean is you have had numerous faults over the time and you still have this limp mode problem?

Your rights DO NOT go on forever despite having problems. It is no good saying ive had this problem for two years but it is still not sorted, you need to take action

1. Put it in WRITING (not an email) to the Centre principle. Tell him the full list of problems, dates, times, how long it was off the road etc

2. Give them a timeline to put it right, say 28 days

3. Tell them what you want done, repair or replace, within the timeline

4. Dont faff around having unauthorised mods done to it.

5. Do it today, be firm but polite, don't threaten them, but mention your rights under the sale of goods act, that goods should be free from defects and of merchantable quality. Your rights dont last forever, get firm, do it today

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks Kingo,

I'd had the car about a year before problem started. Back then it happened probably every couple of months. It's only the last 2/3 months it's been occurring about every 2 weeks.

After numerous trips back to Toyota they said they couldn't diagnose the fault and would replace the engine, which they did last year and everything was fine for a good 6 months.

The same thing happens every time. The engine management light comes on, with a check 4WD warning and it goes into limp.

Did you have the EGR valve changed?
Not saying that is your problem,but it is just one of many reasons for the VSC/4wd light to appear.
It will most likely have been checked or changed by MrT with the new engine,but you never know?
Cant do any harm to ask the question anyway.

What model Rav do you have Tarn eg. XT3, XT-R T180 and what fault code are you getting

I'm assuming they have ruled out the onboard computer?

Thanks guys,

They changed the EGR valve with the engine.

It's a D4D model.

They replaced the software about a month ago.

Unsure what fault code I'm getting, will go back to T and find out.

If you have the latest software you should not get 4x4 warning??? But it sounds like a basic EGR valve sticking maybe the new one is a bit suspect, If you suspect the DPF run it down the motorway at 80 should be safe from plod give it half hour each way and see how it goes you can remove the DPF, I think Angel do the best kit bit it's not cheap, try and see if you can get a decent proper tech garage to make the DPF do a self clean (re-generation) it can be done,,,Don't tell Mr T he will chuck to to the wolves,,, But you need the software/computer etc, I just hammer them down the morotway and all seems OK, But I would suspect a naff EGR Mr Toyota should have a clue but I really find them clueless or just not really interested un-less you are spending loads of cash good luck

You can get the code without a reader but for what they cost, get one off eBay. If it has been in limp mode it is storing a code. We need that before we completely confuse you with theories!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links