Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Consumption After Engine Replacement

philharle

Hi,

I purchased a 2008 (pre facelift) 2.0 D4D Avensis about 8 months ago, with around 60k on the clock.

About 10 months ago, just before I purchased it, the short engine was replaced under the standard recall.

I've driven around 7000 carefree miles since purchase. Today I received a low oil warning on the dash, and have just topped it up this evening. It took around 2.5 litres to bring the dipstick back to just below the max line.

Is this normal consumption as it seems a lot to me. Is this a side-effect of the new engine, will consumption decrease once the engine is bedded in.

Should I be worried, or speaking to the Mr T dealer who did the engine work (which wasn't the garage I actually purchased the vehicle from). If so, I'd like to do it soon, as I assume this engine only carries a 12 month warranty?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

I'm no expert on these replacement engines but that seems like a lot of oil to me. It works out to about 3.6 litres every 10,000 miles and that's half your engine oil.

My first port of call would be the place you purchased it as you have a contract in law with them. Be warned though, they are likely to tell you to drive it for a set period and fetch it back to them so that they can check your oil level. Important to log the fault with them though so get down there tomorrow. If you have the oil can you topped up from you could take it with you so they can see how much has been put in.

Good luck.

The fix Toyota carry out is for oil consumption in excess of 0.5lt in 621miles, your consumption is well within specification.

I think they kind of driving you do has quite a big effect on oil consumption too, I've never really noticed mine using much oil on the daily dribble into work and back. But then hammering it for 2,500 miles a week on mountainous roads burns through the oil surprisingly quickly. At one point I was buying oil from the garage and pretty much, well what seemed to be, filling up daily for a week. Go back to the daily grind and it's fine again, 10k miles between fill ups.

I did question this at the main dealer who pointed out it does say in the handbook about it being acceptable to use.. I forget what it was, but basically for it to go from Max to Min on the dipstick in 600miles. Work It hard and it will burn oil.

I suspect however, in this case, that your driving rather more sedately?

If Toyota say it is acceptable to use 0.5 litres per 621 miles that makes 0.805 ml per mile (500/621=0.805. Spread that over 10,000 miles that makes 8.051 litres of oil (0.805 ml x 10000 miles = 8051 ml). The Avensis holds approx. 6.5 litres of oil, therefore we never need to change our oil because we have changed it more than once as we were driving along.

Genius!

Interesting to see Toyota are now buying in BMW Diesel engines

Thanks for the replies.

My mileage in the car has been mainly short journeys with the occasional 200 mile journey once a month or so.

Are we basically saying I've got nothing to worry about?

This is my first diesel, so things are a bit unknown to me. Assuming its not leaking oil and simply burning it, then I should just find a cheap oil supplier and keep it topped up?

Hoping you can put my mind at rest. The receipt for the engine replacement specifically states it was admitted for excessive oil consumption. Clearly I've no idea if what I'm experiencing now is less excessive than before!

Cheers,

Phil

I'm no expert on these replacement engines but that seems like a lot of oil to me. It works out to about 3.6 litres every 10,000 miles and that's half your engine oil.

My first port of call would be the place you purchased it as you have a contract in law with them. Be warned though, they are likely to tell you to drive it for a set period and fetch it back to them so that they can check your oil level. Important to log the fault with them though so get down there tomorrow. If you have the oil can you topped up from you could take it with you so they can see how much has been put in.

Good luck.

I agree with Druid Boy, get to the supplying dealer and raise the issue, may be even in writing so that you have a document of proof. It may well be normal and nothing to worry about unduly but better safe than sorry. Get the engine oil level up to the max mark, note the mileage and keep a regular check on it noting how much and the mileage when you top up.

Anything up to 1l per 1000 miles is deemed acceptable, even states this in the handbook i think. A lot of the VAG engines are the same including their petrol engines now a days

Alex

Hi if I were you I would be very cautious about this problem because after your 1 year warranty runs out no one will want to know. Believe me I have had my replacement engine fail after 35k miles, it's now lying in a garage in bits as a mechanic took it apart to answer my over all question that Toyota couldn't , WHY did it fail again, the question that a lot of Toyota users are asking.