Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4.3 Diesel - What To Look Out For When Buying Used

babaroga

People

Decided on buying Rav 4.3 2.2 D-4D (ip to 100k miles) xt-r manual and would like to know what are the most common faults on these to look out for when buying.

Nothing special on Honest John or else. There seems to be quite a few issues with 180 version but what about his model?

Many Thanks

ive just bought one i was told they are pretty reliable check for service history check underneath for off road activity leaks etc i got mine from a toyota dealer but a diesel fitter friend of mine came along for a look too, so a friend in the know is allways handy

Some earlier 4.3 diesel models had engine problems (high oil consumption) and Toyota offered an extended warranty on cars up to 7 years old. I do not know exactly when the problems started and ended, but they have been discussed at length on this forum so if you do a search you will find heaps of information.

People

Decided on buying Rav 4.3 2.2 D-4D (ip to 100k miles) xt-r manual and would like to know what are the most common faults on these to look out for when buying.

Nothing special on Honest John or else. There seems to be quite a few issues with 180 version but what about his model?

Many Thanks

I strongly suggest you read through this thread ..........

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/#entry1175067

The engines up to and including 2009 (Though its mostly the earlier cars) are prone to the issues set out in the thread linked.....

There is no reason why you should not buy a car and have no problems but its best you know the full facts before placing your bets ..

The T180 is among the most frequently mentioned cars when it comes to the engine issues but please be aware its all cars from the Toyota range fitted with the 2.2 2AD series diesel engine....

T180 has a really awful runflat tyre system so check if they have been removed or it can add up to quite a few quid to remove and fit normal tyres like many of us here on the forum have done,,,

Many cars suffer from a steering shaft problem that shows its self by a light creaking noise when manoeuvring at very slow speeds...

Early cars are now needing exhausts and again this can be a big expense as the exhaust is a Toyota only part so a centre section retails at nearly 1100 quid.. Stainless sections can be made of course but can be noisy.....

• Like 1

Charlie + others

Thanks for the advice - great stuff. I saw your AD engine post - brilliant.

Toyota used to offer TSB download from their website - for a charge - it seems to have disappeared. Does anybody know where can these be found again by any chance?

Thanks again

Many Thanks Ian - that is it.

• 3 months later...

Hello

I've got a Rav 4 2.2 diesel. Its a 2006 model with 100k miles on the clock. Yesterday i saw quite a large pool of fluid which smelt like oil or diesel (translucent looking) coming from a rubber gaiter and running onto part of the sub frame. It at the rear of the car on same side as filler cap. After parking overnight and a days use its there again today. Any ideas on whats causing this and likely cost to put right.

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Cheers