Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Stuck In 2Nd Gear ...

stephnstars

My poor little Aygo broke down on Saturday for the first time.

It was running smoothly until 30 minutes into my journey when i couldnt gear up out of 2nd gear. I released the clutch and tried again but alas it would not budge from 2nd gear.

Green Flag where with me in 20 mins and he managed to get it out of 2nd and into neutral. He popped open the bonnet and told me to change into all gears, 2nd was a struggle but i still managed to get it into other gears, he said it seems to be the gear selector and he is unable to do a roadside repair. Luckily he said he will follow me to my destination just incase it happens again, and no sooner had i set off and went to gear up from 2nd, no budge and i had to be recovered to a garage of my choice.

So hopefully my little car will get looked at today as the garage was closed yesterday and unfortunatly it was too late on saturday to get anything done.

ive seen a few posts but nothing as specific as my problem, so i will post when i found out exactly what went wrong and how its been fixed so if anyone else comes across this problem they can find out some information.

I tell you what its going to be a long week without my little car!

if you have to drive your car just skip a gear go from 1st to 3rd ,4th ,5th and do the opposite when slowing down 5th,4th,3rd slow right down then 1st,when jumping from 1st to 3rd you may find the car likes it better if you stay in 1st a bit longer just to keep the revs that little higher before you change into 3rd

Thank you for the response eygo,

I got it into the garage, diagnosis not good, the mechanic has said a component of the gerabox has disintegrated/come loose and gone down deep inside the gearbox causing the problem. Reconditioned gerabox being but in today. What makes it worse is the clutch needs to be replaced, tho im not happy about this as a new one was put in 8 months ago. The mechanic has said the garage who put the clutch in but a small amount if any gearbox oil in so the clutch has been dry for the last 8 months! Not happy about that but what can i do?

I know my dad wants a word with the other garage ... :)

Ill have my aygo back for Friday :)

The clutch is separate from the gearbox and should/does not contain any oil, i.e. it runs dry, otherwise it would slip. If the place where the clutch was fitted drained and removed the gearbox to replace the clutch and didn't refill with any or enough oil (of the correct type) then that could explain the "component" failure. If that's the case, then it wouldn't be surprising if they had not fitted the clutch correctly either?!

• Like 1

Mrpj i think you may be right there regaurding the garage who fitted the first clutch change.

Thats what you get when someone who doenst know much about cars (me) repeats what someones told her, chinese whispers.

My cars up north, whereas im in the midlands so my dad is taking care of business and my cars at a garage (in Bury) he trusts and knows well so he's relaying back to me what he has been told. The garage who fitted the first clutch changewas down here in the midlands (birmingham) . Ill get a full report at the weekend when my i get my car back and ill let you know exactly what has happened, but thinking about what my dad said on the phone i think you are right.

Do you reckon there any point at all going to the garage here in the midlands and telling them about this failure?

Just typical i had my Service and MOT at the Toyota dealer on the Friday as well and that came back all good.

The local garage are no doubt going to deny any wrongdoing. But if the Bury garage can determine if the clutch was incorrectly fitted and the gearbox was not filled with oil causing it's failure I'd be asking Dad to have them write a report on their findings. This could then be shown to your local place for their comments. There has to be some comeback on them if they were negligent and it can be proven. That's the problem though, you need proof and I would have thought an independent report from the Bury garage would suffice if you were to take it further with regards to a full or part refund on their work.

Set your Dad onto them :bangin: and good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you Mrpj for you helpful advice! :D

I will definatley see if they could produce a report for me, it wont hurt to try.

• 3 months later...

Apologies, I know this is an old post, but did you have any issues taking it out of second gear before it eventually packed up.

Yesterday my Aygo twice failed to disengage from second gear, I'm starting to worry.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links