Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Filter Wrench

gt6uk

Hi ,i recently bought a 56 reg 6 speed Avensis D4D and want to do an oil change. Can anyone confirm that the tool i need to remove the oil filter housing is 64.5 mm.Many thanks.

Steve

I unscrewed the housing using a piece hard wood and hammer on one of the "wings"...

You can get several decent oil filter wrenches from Halfords,or a similar motor shop from one which is a handle with a point at one side and a length of chain similar to a bicycle chain beside it where you wrap the chain around the filter and push the point thru the chain with the chain as tight as possible to grip the filter ~ costs around a £5 but is an awkward b*****d of a thing to use.

There's another with a strap that's tightened by fitting a 3/8 extension bar into the socket and tightening it with a ratchet,similar to a piston ring clamp but I'm not sure how much it costs.

I've got one now but was given so don't know how much they are but their great for all cars I've tried it on.

Just don't do what I used to for years,stick a screwdriver through the side of the filter.It's not just rough as hell n real messy,if the filters on tight you usually end up ripping the filter to bits before the filter unscrews and it pours old oil everywhere :)

Use either a breaker bar or torque wrench on the 3/8 recess for the drain point of the housing and the whole housing should start to unscrew, make sure its a decent breaker bar and you wont have any issues