Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can A Tns510 Radio Be Retrofitted By A Dealer?

Solidstate

I've got an 2012 IQ3. Does anyone know if its possible for the dealers to upgrade the existing stock radio console to the TNS510. I just think it looks better than the standard unit.. I'm aware that the manuals suggest that the option for the GPS unit should be requested when ordering the car...but I don't really want a new car right now.

No reason why they shouldn't be able to, but its a lot of hours and the dash will be taken apart for fitting. So I'd expect a large bill from them.

Fish

Perhaps its something I should save for my next IQ. The TNS510 is getting a bit long in the tooth technology wise now anyway. Thanks for the advice.

You could try sourcing all the parts needed from a wrecked iQ from a scrapyard?

You could try sourcing all the parts needed from a wrecked iQ from a scrapyard?

You mean, there are wrecked iQ's out there? OMG! The poor little blighters.

Tried to find a wrecked iQ here. Went to a lot of scrapyards for cars... NONE had one... :dontgetit: and :flowers:

eBay has a few on there, but all the yards want almost new Mr T. prices for the parts. Dumb logic!

Fish

I contacted one of the breakers on eBay once for the plastic trim panel under the heater controls. I had the idea I might like to modify it to fit a TomTom into but they came back with a price £10 more than the new Toyota price. I pointed this out to them but didn't hear back! Probably sitting in their plastic recycling bin now!

I'm sure a dealer could retro-fit the satnav as the fitting instructions show the complete kit being supplied. My guess is that all iQ's come into the country in a fairly basic state then dealers add the extras if the customer wants them when they buy the car.

Don't expect the SatNav option to be cheap though, It comes with the new radio / nav unit but there a lot of other bits. Fixing brackets, trim panels, aerials, New airbag display Etc. Probably somewhere around £2k at a guess. You could buy a lot of very good TomTom's for that price!

Craig.

Well it's not like the old days when you could look for and remove bits for yourself, well, it's not, just sayin.' Robbing yards we call them now, not scrap yards.

Well, I know an awful lot about the Tns 510 and the Tns 350 which i understand is being fitted into new iq's and have modified them for various uses, i.e non standard rear camera with option to view the camera whilst travelling forward and added extra video inputs for portable video players etc.

I did cost your question out as it has been previously asked and without labour and buying one from eBay it came to £1100, Depending on the iQ model a short 4 plug wiring harness has to be got as well as the top cover and brackets. Also required is the GPS module and the most difficult part to obtain as they seem to come with a new one only is the microphone.

I changed my 510 for a 350 mainly because it has road speed and traffic camera alerts, better audio, Down side for some , no CD player but Upside for some others, full iPhone integration . Mind you Toyota head office said I could not fit a Tns350 in a UK iQ . Well Red flag to a bull, it works perfectly thank you. P.S the 350 doesn't require a microphone on the steering wheel cover, its built into the front of the unit

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again, very useful information. I'm going to hold off until (if) a new redesigned IQ comes out, but I'll make sure I fully load up the next one, so I don't have any regrets afterwards.

Now I know what I do now about iQ's I think I may have held out for a more equipped one myself. I got an iQ3 which I wanted with the manual box but satnav would have been good.

I've added lots of extras now, Spoiler, skirt, glove bag, exhaust trim Etc. so more than happy with mine and to be honest a TomTom is a lot cheaper! :)

Craig.

I have used TomTom on lots of different devices from generic viewers to the first windows CE orange phones and i still keep it on my iPhone. I would say its the best Satnav i have ever used and knocks spots off the tns versions. For instance even if yo put the exact address in the Tns it still only gets you as near as about 20 houses away from the one you want so at night you have to get out of the car and walk up and down the road looking and there are no updates unless you buy a new map for £136

David

• 5 years later...

helow fellow members.my name is Peter.iam 80yers o a p.and I am looking forward to up grading my iq2 radio to a tns510.so I am looking for some bits and pieces if you have any .I will of course pay for any odd bits.including radio facie.brackets.thanks peter

Hi Peter

you have set yoourself a bit of a task. Parts for the iQ are very costly, assuming some of the Tns510 parts are still about. I have done many modifications associated with this unit. Brackets, covers, wiring harness are a fortune. I sold my one complete a few yesrs back when i changed it with a Tns 350 ( European one)

i wish you the best. Worth a check on eBay both UK and German site

Good Luck

David

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links