Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Modding The Yaris Airbox

jaxx

BY SRI JAMES

ok guys and gals, i should av made this topic about 2 weeks ago but just never got round to it...

as some of u may remember i decided that i would go down the modified air box rute for my bros yaris T - Sport rather than just fitting an induction kit. the reason y i did this was because of 2 reasons. firtsly coz a performance pannel filter & cold air feed costs £34 and an induction kit is a lot more! :lol: and secondly coz i felt that an induction kit would be expossed to too much hot air being so close to the engine, well put it this way, a modified air box wouldnt suffer from hot air as much!!!

wat are the results from the modified airbox? well.. apart from giving a very nice yet subtle throaty induction roar wen u put ur foot down, it also definatly pulls harder at 3000rpm to 4000rpm and also at the top of the rev range, u get an ever so slightly better kick wen u change from 2nd gear into 3rd gear at about 6k rpm.

so for £34 it was definately well worth it :thumbsup:

right heres how i did it with some pictures...(would be cool if some1 like jaxx added this to the "Yaris How To's" sticky topic)

right 1st of all i bought a pipercross pannel filter (£30) from carnoisseur and i got a cold air feed/air ducting pipe from Halfords (£4)

right 1st thing to do is pop ya bonnet and open it :P

get a philips screwdriver and loosen the screw on the pipe that goes from the air box to the throttle body, and pull the pipe off the air box...

26.jpg

click here to see the above pic bigger!

next unclip the 2 clips that secure the 2 halves of the air box 2gether. the clips r just below the pipe u just disconnected (halfway down the airbox.) one clip can be seen in the pic above, the other clip is adjcent to it.

right once u have uncliped the 2 clips lift the top half of the airbox out (the back of it is on a hinge, so pull it towards u aswell...u will see wat i mean wen u do it)

right now just place the top half of the airbox upside down on the rocker cover (the engine cover), dont worry about the wires that are connected to the top of the box (air flow metre wires) , just be careful ie. dont yank the top of the box out, theres enough slack in the wire to place it ontop of the engine

now using a size 10mm socket (think it was 10mm) with rachet (i also used a 4" adapter bar for easier access) undo the 3 nuts in the bottom of the box...

23.jpg

just one more nut...undo the nut that holds the coldair feed to the engine bay by the passenger headlamp...

25.jpg

click her to see the pic above bigger!

right now you can lift out the air box/cold air feed. you can now dissregard the standard air filter element (tho u may want to keep it in a safe place just in case)

now comes the fun part, the drilling....get a drill and with an average size drill peice (i think i used a 12mm size) im guesing, should av looked :wacko: , tho i can check on friday wen i go home if needs be.

at 1st i drilled about 22 holes (didnt wat to drill 2 many!) but then after driving the car i felt that it would benifit from some more well positioned holes (and i was right!) it has 48 now i think.

i drilled the holes on the right hand side of the box (as u look at it from the engine bay)...the side that is furthest away from the engine, tho as u can see iv done 6 holes on the front side aswell...

24.jpg

click here to see the pic bigger!

once the holes av been drilled, clean up the air box (so theres no rough bits) and make sure theres no tiny bits of plastic inside it (including the cold air feed pipe as the drill may av spat some in it without u knowing)

now put the airbox and cold air feed back in its place, and secure with the 3 nuts for the box, dont do up the cold air feed nut yet as u will need some flexability wen puttin in the extra cold air feed!

next get ur performance pannel filter, (the pipercross one came with a spray, which u use to oil the filter with, DONT use the whole can, just lightly spray both sides of the element and work the oil in it with ur CLEAN fingers, then shake it in the air for a min to get rid of any excess oil) and place it inside the air box...

1f.jpg

for some reason my pipercross pannel filter wouldnt fit inside the box properly (it was ever so slightly too long) despite being "made for the yaris T - Sport" assuming i got the correct one....NOT A PROBLEM THO...as i just used some sissors and trimed a bit of the front edge off so it was slightly shorter and it sat in the air box fine!

the trimmed pipercross filter element...(incase u cant notice, its trimmed at the end my hand is holdind it)

20.jpg

right now the element is sitting snuggly in the air box, put the top half of the airbox back on (its a tight squeeze) making sure the back is in the hinge correctly and then fasten the front 2 clips.

almost there now, just need to fit the cold air feed!

unfortunatly i didnt take a pic of the cold air feed before i used it, but as u can see from the below pictures its its made of alloy (looks nice). but it is also flexable and extendable, so u can shape it to how u want it!

place the cold air feed under the standard cold air feed and bend one end so its tucked between the Battery and the airbox, making sure the end of it is facing the holes u av drilled (so the cold air can get to them) of the box.

and with the other end of the cold air feed, positioned so its pointin in the same direction as the original cold air feed. once ur happy with the position of the extra new cold air feed, put the bolt for the original cold air feed in its place and tighten it up. now use cable ties to keep the new cold air feed in its place (tho it should be wedged well in place already). i put a cable tie arround the cold air feed end by the airbox and attached that to the nearest Battery clamp that holds the Battery in its tray. and i also put a cable tie near the top of the new cold air feed and attatched that to the original cold air feed...see the pictures...

22.jpg

click to see the pic above bigger!

21.jpg

took me about 45-60mins to do

right thats all folks!

if u have any questions, plz just ask me!

sorry about the write up, could be better, but im very tired.

hope this helps ppl (took me about ages to make this post lol)

james :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Have been reading your step by step. Just one question, is the new cold air pipe fixed to the air box in any way? or is the new pipe just held in place by the wire tie?

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
BY SRI JAMES

ok guys and gals, i should av made this topic about 2 weeks ago but just never got round to it...

as some of u may remember i decided that i would go down the modified air box rute for my bros yaris T - Sport rather than just fitting an induction kit. the reason y i did this was because of 2 reasons. firtsly coz a performance pannel filter & cold air feed costs £34 and an induction kit is a lot more!  :lol:  and secondly coz i felt that an induction kit would be expossed to too much hot air being so close to the engine, well put it this way, a modified air box wouldnt suffer from hot air as much!!!

wat are the results from the modified airbox? well.. apart from giving a very nice yet subtle throaty induction roar wen u put ur foot down, it also definatly pulls harder at 3000rpm to 4000rpm and also at the top of the rev range, u get an ever so slightly better kick wen u change from 2nd gear into 3rd gear at about 6k rpm.

so for £34 it was definately well worth it  :thumbsup:

right heres how i did it with some pictures...(would be cool if some1 like jaxx added this to the "Yaris How To's" sticky topic)

right 1st of all i bought a pipercross pannel filter (£30) from carnoisseur and i got a cold air feed/air ducting pipe from halfords (£4)

right 1st thing to do is pop ya bonnet and open it :P

get a philips screwdriver and loosen the screw on the pipe that goes from the air box to the throttle body, and pull the pipe off the air box...

26.jpg

next unclip the 2 clips that secure the 2 halves of the air box 2gether. the clips r just below the pipe u just disconnected (halfway down the airbox.) one clip can be seen in the pic above, the other clip is adjcent to it.

right once u have uncliped the 2 clips lift the top half of the airbox out (the back of it is on a hinge, so pull it towards u aswell...u will see wat i mean wen u do it)

right now just place the top half of the airbox upside down on the rocker cover (the engine cover), dont worry about the wires that are connected to the top of the box (air flow metre wires) , just be careful ie. dont yank the top of the box out, theres enough slack in the wire to place it ontop of the engine

now using a size 10mm socket (think it was 10mm) with rachet (i also used a 4" adapter bar for easier access) undo the 3 nuts in the bottom of the box...

23.jpg

just one more nut...undo the nut that holds the coldair feed to the engine bay by the passenger headlamp...

25.jpg

click her to see the pic above bigger!

right now you can lift out the air box/cold air feed. you can now dissregard the standard air filter element (tho u may want to keep it in a safe place just in case)

now comes the fun part, the drilling....get a drill and with an average size drill peice (i think i used a 12mm size) im guesing, should av looked  :wacko: , tho i can check on friday wen i go home if needs be.

at 1st i drilled about 22 holes (didnt wat to drill 2 many!) but then after driving the car i felt that it would benifit from some more well positioned holes (and i was right!) it has 48 now i think.

i drilled the holes on the right hand side of the box (as u look at it from the engine bay)...the side that is furthest away from the engine, tho as u can see iv done 6 holes on the front side aswell...

24.jpg

click here to see the pic bigger!

once the holes av been drilled, clean up the air box (so theres no rough bits) and make sure theres no tiny bits of plastic inside it (including the cold air feed pipe as the drill may av spat some in it without u knowing)

now put the airbox and cold air feed back in its place, and secure with the 3 nuts for the box, dont do up the cold air feed nut yet as u will need some flexability wen puttin in the extra cold air feed!

next get ur performance pannel filter, (the pipercross one came with a spray, which u use to oil the filter with, DONT use the whole can, just lightly spray both sides of the element and work the oil in it with ur CLEAN fingers, then shake it in the air for a min to get rid of any excess oil) and place it inside the air box...

1f.jpg

for some reason my pipercross pannel filter wouldnt fit inside the box properly (it was ever so slightly too long) despite being "made for the yaris T - Sport"  assuming i got the correct one....NOT A PROBLEM THO...as i just used some sissors and trimed a bit of the front edge off so it was slightly shorter and it sat in the air box fine!

the trimmed pipercross filter element...(incase u cant notice, its trimmed at the end my hand is holdind it)

20.jpg

right now the element is sitting snuggly in the air box, put the top half of the airbox back on (its a tight squeeze) making sure the back is in the hinge correctly and then fasten the front 2 clips.

almost there now, just need to fit the cold air feed!

unfortunatly i didnt take a pic of the cold air feed before i used it, but as u can see from the below pictures its its made of alloy (looks nice). but it is also flexable and extendable, so u can shape it to how u want it!

place the cold air feed under the standard cold air feed and bend one end so its tucked between the battery and the airbox, making sure the end of it is facing the holes u av drilled (so the cold air can get to them) of the box.

and with the other end of the cold air feed, positioned so its pointin in the same direction as the original cold air feed. once ur happy with the position of the extra new cold air feed, put the bolt for the original cold air feed in its place and tighten it up. now use cable ties to keep the new cold air feed in its place (tho it should be wedged well in place already). i put a cable tie arround the cold air feed end by the airbox and attached that to the nearest battery clamp that holds the battery in its tray. and i also put a cable tie near the top of the new cold air feed and attatched that to the original cold air feed...see the pictures...

22.jpg

click to see the pic above bigger!

21.jpg

took me about 45-60mins to do

right thats all folks!

if u have any questions, plz just ask me!

sorry about the write up, could be better, but im very tired.

hope this helps ppl (took me about ages to make this post lol)

james  :thumbsup:

Very interested in your article, but can not get pictures up, if you still have origional article, would greatly appreciate you emailing me a copy.

Cheers Brian

briantaylor007@aol.com

• 10 months later...

Hi, thanks for the instructions. but unfortunately i cann't get the pictures up as well. Can you please email them to me at anguschaz@hotmail.com??

Your help will be much appriciated!

• 4 weeks later...

arghhh, yeah all your pics are dead, if you want I'll host them for you on my site.

Or just put them on some free hosting.

PM me if you want me to host them.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

cant see pics could ya please send to kyle_oxi@hotmail.co.uk need some help with this thinking of doing it to my mk2 06 yaris

• 7 months later...

can you send me the pics too many thanks

mayhem_J_nosh@hotmail.com

cheers

1.3 16v yaris SR blitz panel filter

• 4 months later...

Loved the article, am thinking of doing this myself to my Yaris T-Sport but would love some pictures :) .

My e-mail addy is mitchmaster87@hotmail.com.

Cheers

Mitch

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links