Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Battery And Immobiliser

Casey

When I turn my ignition, the dash light shows, but the car won't make any attempt to start up. It clicks (not engine turning) and the dash lights go off. I am thinking the Battery is on the way out or not charging adequately because i drive 4.5 miles each way to work daily.

I have a Battery charger and I intend disconnecting the Battery and charging over night.

What happens to the car immobiliser and alarm system when one removes the car battery? Does it need to be reset or it resets automatically immediately the battery is put back on?

between: Avensis 56 plate T3X VVTi

Didn't take the Battery out of mine but I would have if necessary, without worrying about it. I'd like to think you'd only need to re-set the radio stations and the auto-window closing. How about charging the Battery on the car if poss?

You're probably correct that your Battery is dieing. The clunk sound is the starter dog clicking up into place to turn over the engine but it hasn't got enough power to actually turn it over, and the dash lights going dim is illustrating that the starter is taking all the power and leaving nothing for anything else.

It could also be your alternator not charging the battery fully. Make sure the battery light comes on with the ignition and goes off once started. If you have a multi-meter put it across the battery with the engine running and make sure the alternator is kicking out something like 14 volts.

At this time of year/weather temp I'd like to think having the engine running for 5-10 mins should be enough to keep your battery topped up, especially since the weather's warmer and you're probably not using headlights/rear demistor etc.

Cheers for your reply Alan, I cannot charge the Battery on the car - i have to take it off. The Battery terminals are rather dirty too, so I will try and clean them as well - could be that there isn't enough contact?

Thanks.

Maybe but I'd say probably your Battery. Charge it and see how it goes.

Battery charged overnight, got it installed this morning, attempted to start car, but nothing happened - just the 'tick' from the glove compartment side of the car.

Bearing in mind that the car was given a push last night from work, and Battery was plugged on charge all night, could it be that either the starter motor or the ignition switch is on the way out?

(1) If it is the starter switch, does anyone know if the Avensis 56 plate T3X VVTi Petrol switch is similar to the switch assy part number 84450-02010 that goes on the 1999 Toyota (see image attached)? If this is correct, does anyone know how these are fixed? I have done similar when I was driving the 1999 Avensis, but not sure of it is the same arrangement.

(2) If it is the starter motor, does anyone know what the part number is and where I can get a cheap (hopefully reliable) one? I did a search on Toyota Avensis starter motor on e-bay and found some cheap ones, but I am not sure if they are the ones I should be looking at.

Someone please help :-(

post-77024-0-59426600-1369300473_thumb.j

I still suspect the Battery. Can you get a jump start and see what happens with the extra Battery power?

Alan thanks again for responding...before we decided to push the car yesterday, a colleague of mine had cables which we tried to use for jump starting the car - it didn't work!

I had a chat to Parts King earlier today, he advised that I check the start switch, then starter motor which I am hoping to do..

Incidentally, the car was already booked in with Mr T for service on 08/06/2013. I phoned them about an hour ago to ask about this problem, and hopefully bring forward the servicing so that I can do everything at once. The technician I spoke to is of the opinion that it is the Battery - despite the car having full beam and not dimming when I try to start the car.

In my mind, I am hoping it turns out to be the Battery, if not may it be starter switch. I heard starter motors cost hundreds of £!!!

I left the car at home today and spent through my nose on rip-off taxi!

Cheers Alan.

Um, so in my experience people have jump leads that are not rated or 'man' enough for the car they are trying to start. You really do need a heavy duty set - 25mm2 - to have any hope of jumping a car with an engine bigger than 1600cc.

Also if your Battery has been on charge all night but it still didn't start the car I would be suspecting the Battery. Get a voltmeter on it and see what it has in it, then watch the voltage as you are starting the car. If it drops away (and I bet it does) your Battery is probably gone. Most places can check batteries for you so maybe worth having it checked out before you replace the starter motor - cos starter motors ain't cheap.

Bet its your battery.

Cheers Druid Boy, I really hope it is mate, 'cos ain't got cash to throw about. I don't have a voltmeter, can you please suggest a type for me to buy? I could diagnose check before i go for my annual service on Monday.

Many thanks fella.

Strange that you mention the main beam doesn't dim when trying to turn the engine over but the dash lights do.

To be honest volt meters are simple things and much of muchness. There are loads out there, mostly multi meters - probably say £30 or so. Euro Car Parts, Halfords, any where really but if you are going to buy one you might as well get (or pay) someone to do it for you - unless you really want to buy one.

definitely, measure the voltage drop when starting the car. it sounds like the Battery!

check the earths to engine , gbox , Battery and chassis

Casey ?Did you get this sorted.

Funny that just when I was planning to post a feedback, you asked!

To enable me to be recovered from home so that I can take the car to Mr T for annual service and repair, I had to upgrade my RAC membership to include home rescue. I then phoned them to arrange it for Monday.

The RAC bloke turned up, did a few checks, and concluded that it was the starter motor that had gone, but I should ask Mr T to confirm it too. He then bump-started the car and I drove it to the garage.

Mr T undertook the service, did the checks and confirmed the starter motor. The starter motor was ordered from Glasgow on Monday and fitted yesterday. Although not a Toyota branded part, this, including the annual service (quoted at 167.54) and two front Wiper Blades, has now set me back £537.12. I feel I have been ripped off!

If I knew how to, i would have got the parts and done the job myself.

So, Exvec, yes I have sorted it out. Do you have similar problem?

I forgot...Cheers all who contributed to this thread with some excellent suggestions and advice.

To enable me to be recovered from home so that I can take the car to Mr T for annual service and repair, I had to upgrade my RAC membership to include home rescue. I then phoned them to arrange it for Monday.

The RAC bloke turned up, did a few checks, and concluded that it was the starter motor that had gone, but I should ask Mr T to confirm it too. He then bump-started the car and I drove it to the garage.

Mr T undertook the service, did the checks and confirmed the starter motor. The starter motor was ordered from Glasgow on Monday and fitted yesterday. Although not a Toyota branded part, this, including the annual service (quoted at 167.54) and two front wiper blades, has now set me back £537.12. I feel I have been ripped off!

No problem yet ,i haven't got the car until Saturday,just interested ?what mileage had the car done.

Ah I see! It has done 101868 miles...

Mr T undertook the service, did the checks and confirmed the starter motor. The starter motor was ordered from Glasgow on Monday and fitted yesterday. Although not a Toyota branded part, this, including the annual service (quoted at 167.54) and two front wiper blades, has now set me back £537.12. I feel I have been ripped off!

No problem yet ,i haven't got the car until Saturday,just interested ?what mileage had the car done.

What year are you getting mate?

Its 2.0 d4d estate on 06 plate with 38,000 on the clock

Its 2.0 d4d estate on 06 plate with 38,000 on the clock

Nice one mate. Hope you haven't been ripped off. I dunno much about diesels...so no comments.

Casey, the price you paid is about right for main dealer service & spares. I had a starter motor replaced by Toyota and it cost me a fair whack and that was with some really serious discounts applied by the service manager. Never did figure out why he gave me such good discounts but was happy to have them.

Casey, the price you paid is about right for main dealer service & spares. I had a starter motor replaced by Toyota and it cost me a fair whack and that was with some really serious discounts applied by the service manager. Never did figure out why he gave me such good discounts but was happy to have them.

Yes Druid, i got some discounts too and like you said, i don't know why. Still 537 is a lot of money for me to part with at the moment lol

Tell you what though, your car looks amazing. Smart as.