Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Considering A Verso 1.8Vvt Auto

rogersp

Just retired and about to ditch my 6th diesel motor in favour of a Toyota Verso 1.8VVt Auto as my mileage profile will change significantly..

Had a test drive in the 2013 model today but I've seen a few pre-registered 2012 models around at about a £4k saving over the 2013 model.

The question is, are there many differences? The sales guy tried to tell me the 2013 model had a better auto box than the previous model but I think they are both CVT boxes? From what I can see it's the same vehicle with some cosmetic changes, mainly to the front of the vehicle?

Additionally, has anyone purchased a full size steel wheel to use as a spare? I totally dislike this no spare wheel policy "as it reduces emissions", such rubbish when you compare the gross weight of the vehicle and the additional weight of a spare wheel. We'd all be better off driving more economically! Additionally where will you find a new tyre half way through France on a Sunday afternoon, don't ask me how I know,

That said, test drive was good, very smooth and quiet but have some reservations about long term reliabity of the CVT gearbox.

I'd welcome your views and opinions.

Thank you

I have a 2009 1.8 manual so I can't comment on the auto box. However as far as the 2013 model goes I think the changes are,as you say, mainly cosmetic. The front end looks smarter and there are more 'shiny bits' inside. The door mirrors have been made a lot smaller to reduce wind noise.

There are I believe supposed to be other improvements but if you can get a pre-facelift model at a reduced price you would still have a great car in my opinion. I am happy with the spacesaver wheel in my car.

Just a quick word of warning, if you want a spare wheel (it is a space saver though) then you'll need a pre-facelift verson. The 2013 model only comes with a tyre repair kit.

Couldn't comment on the longevity of the auto box but I own the pre-face lift car you have tested and am quite happy with it. The only thing that bothers me is refinement, you will experience a lot of wind and road noise above 40 mph. Based on reviews I have read on the internet it seems that this has been rectified in the new model with the use of smaller wing mirrors and increased sound proofing in the engine compartment. I would recommend you test drive both at motorway speeds to confirm. Let me know how you get on.

Thank you for the feedback.

I did a complete change of tack and bought a preregistered Avensis Tourer TR 1.8vvt Auto on offer at £15500 which I thought was a bargain? Yes it's not the latest spec Icon etc but to be frank every car is a stale cake after 6 months.

Picked up the Avensis yesterday and I've got to say I like it, smooth, comfortable and first cross country run of 100 iles plus gave 40MPG, very respectable for mid range car.

Sold my diesel high mileage C220 CDi privately and comparing the pricing of a similar premium model to the Avensis I know I'll be happy with the switch to Toyota.

Added to that I've just retired and will have to buy my own cars now so common sense needs to prevail.

Thanks again

Sounds like you got a good deal on the Avensis Paul. The Verso is actually my first Toyota as I have always been a fan of the German cars but I must say the Toyota has so far been cheaper to maintain than my previous BMW. Before purchasing, everyone I spoke to said buy Japanese if you want something reliable. Hopefully we both have a number of trouble free motoring years ahead.

Enjoy the retirement.

Many years ago my family had a motorcycle repair business, my Dad's hobby, but we could never develop it and obtain a main stream Norton, Triumph or BSA dealership so my Dad applied to become a Honda dealer.

On being awarded the dealership in 1963, although he had some doubts about Japanese bikes, he sold many and we never had any warranty claims. It's true to say they came out of the packing cases, front wheel in, fuel in, acid in the dry charged Battery and hit the button. Every one started first push. My Dad coined a phrase " Buy Japanese with your head, German, Italian and British with your heart"!

Today, I have three bikes, 1947 BSA B33, Russian Military Tractor, sorry motorcycle, and a Honda Pan European, which one do you think is bullet proof?

Added to that I have purchased both German premium brands along with two Honda Accords and two Nissans, again which do you think gave me the least trouble?

For all the motoring press say about the Avensis, I could not care a fig what they think. I want know when I'm somewhere in a remote part of Eastern Europe, on a Sunday afternoon at 1600, and I put the key in the ignition that the car will run. Japanese cars give me that confidence.

It's true to say that Japanese motorcar/cycle engineering is not only the best in the world, they taught the world how to build cars and motorcycles that did not breakdown. Take trip through Africa and see the number of beat up Land Cruisers and Subaru's with galactic mileages and still going strong with the minimum of maintenance.

I'm sure I made the right decision.