Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recommendation For New Discs And Pad Avensis 2,0D 2006

tobiasdog

Hi there, I wonder if you can help. I have just had the car serviced by main dealer. I have been advised that I will need front discs and pads at the next service. Can you advise on what to purchase as I think Mr T fixed price of £200 is by any means competitive. Can I up grade the brakes ! I would appreciate your comments and help.

Regards

Allan

Allan, I fitted Pagid discs and pads from Euro Car Parts for approx £100. I think they are fine as a standard replacement. The old discs were a bit stubborn to get off but my friendly lump hammer and WD40 soon freed them up.

You can upgrade your brakes but it depends what you want them to do better? Brakes are just part of the system. The limiting factor in brake performance is the grip available at the tyre. If your wheels aren't locking/triggering the ABS under braking then, in my humble opinion, you don't need to upgrade anything. If you want them to work better press the pedal harder. Now, please don't think I'm taking the mick here, but, as a general rule, the standard brakes have a lot more to offer than most people use. Work (press) them harder and see how you get on.

Mind you, harder braking will eat your tyres/pads/discs in no time.

A lot of us on here have gone for MTEC discs and pads!... I have a set (Black drilled and groved) on my Avensis T-180 and VW Polo TDI and they are fantastic. I've just ordered a full set (Black, drilled) for our 2.8L derv Grand Voyager XS and can't wait to get them on there...

I replaced my oem with MTEC (grooved only but with the black treatment) discs & Ferodo Premier pads. Imo this combo not only provided better pedal feel but ultimately better stopping too.

HI Guys, thank you for your response.I think the Euro car parts with Pagid discs and pads seem like the option. As I get around 50000 from my pads but it is only recently that I have noticed there is a lip on then discs, so not a surprise to be advised on the brakes. I also meant to say that £200 from Mr T was to much, well it was late at night when I placed the blog.

Once again, many thanks

Allan

MTEC discs will be cheaper than Toyota oem - but you did ask if you can upgrade ...

Hi Guys, thank you for your time. great advice !

Regards

Allan

I also went for Grooved MTEC discs, can't remember which pads.

For me the brakes seem to lack bite on this model, powerful yes, but not very sharp. I was hoping the grooved discs might rectify this but can't honestly say I've noticed the difference from standard discs and pads. They seem to work better if you get them hot first.

Take a look on here of my post regarding Pagid discs... If you are gonna go for those parts then look at there sister company http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/car-parts?gclid=CJiQ8Z-9tLcCFUzHtAodHHcATA which is the same but a lot cheaper...

They are a tad cheaper but in my experience there customer service is abysmal in particular if you have to return anything.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links