Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dipstick Markers

BigMo82

Does anyone know what amount of oil difference there is between the 2 markers on the dipstick. Does it equate to a litre?

Mo

Yes Mo, It is 1 litre between min and max.

Konrad

Cheers Konrad

Mo

Well worth knowing that. Saves me overfilling it.

• 7 months later...

Bringing up an old thread but my dipstick actually measures 1.5 litres from top mark to bottom mark. Now I am thinking maybe I have the wrong dipstick in my car which means I end up over filling it by half a litre?

Mo

iirc part of the fix for the (pre-06) VVTIs burning oil was increasing the oil capacity & a new dipstick?

Thanks for the reply, I have also read this a few times but what surprises me is that I had the oil changed yesterday and filled to the top of the dipstick marker and the smoke is worse then before. But if I think about it when the oil gets a little lower the smoke from the exhaust usually improves. Surely butting in a 10w40 instead of 5w30 should have reduced the smoke and not increased it?

Mo

Mo, it might be worth keeping the oil level below the mid point and bottom mark rather than all the way to the top. You check your oil regularly so you are unlikely to let the level drop too far. Also I think it might be time to accept that you engine burns a bit of oil and that makes it smoke a bit and there's no cost effective way to stop it.

You should see the smoke my bike blows occasionally. Still goes like hot snot though. Also, have a look at a Moto GP or British Superbikes starting grid - clouds of smoke from them bad boys.

DB I totally agree with what you have written. I guess I am annoyed as it's otherwise a great car. I don't know why I also think something is not right with it getting upto temp. Like I said I drove back from the mechanics which is a 15-20 minute journey and around 4 miles and the temp outside was 10C but my car still wasn't upto temperature.

Mo

Old fashioned cooling system check. 1. with engine off and cold engine squeeze the radiator top hose with your hand just to get a feel for how squishy it is. 2. Start the car and monitor the temperature and pressure in the top hose. It should firm up as the coolant in the engine block heats up and expands but the top hose should stay fairly cool. Eventually the thermostat will open once the coolant in the engine block gets to the correct temperature. At this point the top hose gets gradually very hot. If it works like that, all is well. If it takes a long time to warm up, so what? Diesels do.

Thanks for the reply mate, will give this a go on Friday.

Mo

That means my answer was partly correct about the dipstick markers. 1 litre between markers for 'normal' engines, 1.5 litre for the engines with oil burning issues.

Mo, I agree if your engine has the wrong dipstick, as the 2 litre vvti is not one of the engines with oil burning issues.

That means you may have found the problem of smoking exhaust.

It would not occur to me that you had a different dipstick in your car.

To make sure, double check that you do have the correct dipstick for you car.

Konrad

Konrad as always thank you for the reply. I will be going to see the mechanic tomorrow and take about half a litre out the sump. (I'm sure that's going to be a messy job) and hopefully that will make things better.

I just found it odd a thicker oil creating more smoke then before. I have found the avensis to be such an ideal size for the family that I even started looking for another incase this one was getting beyond an economical repair but just can't find an eclipse black t spirit with a low mileage.

Mo

Thank yourself Mo. You found the answer. Druid Boy, and Scott confirmed your findings and I put the whole lot in my simplistic view.

I wonder why the dipstick was replaced - original lost or broken? Maybe a garage put in another dipstick by mistake, some other owner is using your dipstick in their car!

For nearly a year you have been racking your brains and something so simple as the wrong dipstick has cost you money.

As I said before, check your current dipstick with one that should be in your car. The comparison could tell you how different they are, and the amount of oil in your sump.

Yesterday I too was looking at a newer Avensis whilst in a supermarket car park. It was a 06 in a metallic grey, hatchback phase 2. It had the indicators on the wing mirrors. I didn't check what engine it had. That is the car I would be after when mine is to be replaced. I didn't check what engine it had, but I would rather stick with petrol. I have not heard of oil burning issues since 2006. Finding genuine low mileage will be very difficult, but history and paper work could be just as important.

Keep us posted Mo, like always.

Konrad :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links