Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Filter

shortshanks

morning all

need your help please, cannot locate the oil filter yaris 1.33 vvti dual 6 sr . on a 09 plate thank you

The oil filter is at the very bottom of the engine, in the corner of the sump. The new filter is just a paper element. You will need a filter removal tool for the filter. Lasertools make one, part no. 5160 for about £10. Good quality cast aluminium tool.

After u drain the old oil, u then remove the small plug from the centre of the filter housing and screw in the plastic drain adaptor that comes with the new filter. This will drain the filter housing, then use the laser tool to remove the filter.

Draining the filter this way makes the job less messy.

Hope this helps

thanks ken

bought the filter oil etc could not for the life in me figure out were the filter went so after a lot of looking and searching decided to to replace oil without changing filter, is it possible to change now or should i leave it until next oil change.

ps changed the air filter and pollen filter but not the spark plugs when should i change them, sorry had nissan for the last 20 years maintenance not required ha ha

thanks again ken for your reply

"Lasertools make one, part no. 5160 for about £10."

Are you 100% sure that is the correct one Ken?

Laser 5176 does fit. Costs more though!

"Lasertools make one, part no. 5160 for about £10."

Are you 100% sure that is the correct one Ken?

Laser 5176 does fit. Costs more though!

Yes, this tool will work. I purchased one recently & it's a perfect fit. Made from cast aluminium, not pressed tin.

Yes, Andrew, you could change the oil filter now, but u will need some oil to replace what was in the filter.

I purchased my yaris 1.33 6 months ago with 3 months warranty and a basic service (oil & oil filter & brake pads). After 4 months I was getting a light tapping noise from top of engine when cold, it always disappeared after 2 miles. My first thought was to change the oil because the car had come from an independent dealer & there was no way of knowing what oil was used & this engine uses hydraulic valve lifters.

After about 1000 miles the noise disappeared.

Oil I used was a 5W-30 fully synthetic SM spec. as per Toyota hand book.

This has proved to me that the correct grade and spec. of oil is important.

Ken

Thanks again ken

just to make sure, i can change the filter without dropping the oil and then top up oil, do i really need a tool to remove filter or is it possible to remove with fingers. have put magnatec 5w -30 fully synthetic in after ringing toyota to find out the correct oil handbook says 0w-20 andrew page insisted it was 15w-40 what a car only bought for cheap tax wish id never bothered, don't no about yours but mine judders like hell when trying to get up hills until it has warmed up. anyway thanks again ken have a good night cheers

The oil filter is at the very bottom of the engine, in the corner of the sump. The new filter is just a paper element. You will need a filter removal tool for the filter. Lasertools make one, part no. 5160 for about £10. Good quality cast aluminium tool.

After u drain the old oil, u then remove the small plug from the centre of the filter housing and screw in the plastic drain adaptor that comes with the new filter. This will drain the filter housing, then use the laser tool to remove the filter.

Draining the filter this way makes the job less messy.

Hope this helps

£13.44 on the laser website. I have to confess to feeling rather pleased, a friend of mine has just returned from a holiday in the US and brought me the TOY 640 filter remover. $6 (£4) Makes you wonder where £13.44 comes from!

Regards Geoff Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of oil filters, I'm in need of one for my Mark 1 Yaris. Could anyone make some recommendations for some good oil filters and where I can buy them from please?

I've been using UFI oil filters over the last couple of years. Am steering clear of Fram!

Thanks guys.

You could try your TOYOTA dealer for service items

Guaranteed quality items........Try Parts-King on here for mail order discount :)

I think their oil and engine and pollen filter are manufactured by Fram, last time I checked.

On the subject of oil filters, I'm in need of one for my Mark 1 Yaris. Could anyone make some recommendations for some good oil filters and where I can buy them from please?

I've been using UFI oil filters over the last couple of years. Am steering clear of Fram!

Thanks guys.

I am interested to know why you are 'steering clear of Fram'. They manufacture many filters for the OEM market, and I have used them for more years than I care to remember without any trouble. I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Why oh why do people assume that if two things (be it Wiper Blades or filters) are made by the same company and maybe in the same plant they will be the same item. They might be the same, but equally Toyota may specify different materials and/or quality control for 'their' parts. Either way, if there's a problem you will have a Toyota guarantee with a Toyota (supplied) part.

I was researching oil filters as best I could and the general consensus that I got was to avoid Fram.

Why oh why do people assume that if two things (be it wiper blades or filters) are made by the same company and maybe in the same plant they will be the same item. They might be the same, but equally Toyota may specify different materials and/or quality control for 'their' parts. Either way, if there's a problem you will have a Toyota guarantee with a Toyota (supplied) part.

If companies such as Toyota required different specifications the cost would be prohibitive. Mass production is the name of the game, it is simply not cost effective to make individual modifications on a production line, the final branding is the only difference in filters. Plus the price of course, add around 250% and call it Toyota. Or Honda, or Mazda or what you will.

Regards Geoff Peace.

If we can get back on topic... Can anyone recommend a good filter that isn't Fram?