Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Owner, Looking For Some Info With My Xt3

Daimo

Hey all,

Just purchased a black 2006 XT3 5dr Rav4 which Im quite pleased with so far. Just got a few questions about the model though. I've looked at the Models post above but Im a bit confused about the spec of mine.

Its got the "turn" round knows for the heating/air con, and not the buttons. But the stearing wheel hasn't got any controls on it. Is this right for this model? It also has 17" alloys on it that I see on most Ravs.

photo-vi.jpg

Its also got the plastic/chrome front bumper add on and side bars, i think these are bolt ons (style pack?).

Its almost like it was the 1st year of the re-design and some things were missed off the list, or is this just the spec of the XT3?

I've noticed it holds its revs between gears too, I done some reseach and found this is to make the gear change smoother, is this correct as it sounds like I can't drive the thing when changing gear haha. Its not bad, it just holds the rev when you come off the throttle and put your foot on the clutch.

Also, I've noticed that the NAVI button does nothing on the head unit, so was looking at replacements. Has anyone got any experience with these items off of eBay as it seems ok, touch screen, sat nav, dvd player etc etc. Has anyone purchased one or is it something I should stear clear of (was also looking at the plug in rear view camera also).

Cheers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190811419515?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I owned an 06 XT3 and IIRC it was the lowest specked in the range and didn't have steering wheel controls.

As for reversing camera I have one and find it hard to use and a waste of time..

But I would definitely recommend the reversing sensors instead.

Its more the head unit im interested in as I was going to get a sat nav anyway, but the above can play dvd's and that would be handy when I go to bike trackdays and sleep in it overnight. Also I can plug in ipods etc then as well. Camera would just be a handy addition as I've gone from an old little fiesta, so its a bit bigger and I can't really see much behined.

Oh, additions outside.

965671_10151473244158877_891634563_o.jpg

But if anyone has got any experience with the above linked headunits I'd be grateful, but im not sure whether to trust a non named headunit.

Looks like a typical Chinese built cheapo mate.....beware.....ye buy cheap, ye buy twice. Stick to the branded wans, even second handers from likes of Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer in my oponion.....

Clean looking Rav, mate.....enjoy and welcome.

Big Kev

Thats what Im finding, I just liked the idea of it retaining the OEM look.

Is there anything else out there that fits and does the same job that people here use?

£300 aint exactly cheap Kev ? There was one featured on a thread on here once that was the dogs danglies.. I quite fancied one me self but the price tag was something like 750 quid....

£300 aint exactly cheap Kev ? There was one featured on a thread on here once that was the dogs danglies.. I quite fancied one me self but the price tag was something like 750 quid....

Less than half the price of the wan you fancied. Charlie, and a helluva lot of facilities for not a lot of money normally spells el cheapo electronics, with return times and arguments re. faults I have read are woeful.

The OEM satnav you have does the job,but is a bit complicated to use and wont take postcodes,you have to enter the street name which takes for ever,but it does work.

Leaving it as it is and just buying a tomtom or garmin for £100 would be my way.

Less than half the price of the wan you fancied. Charlie, and a helluva lot of facilities for not a lot of money normally spells el cheapo electronics, with return times and arguments re. faults I have read are woeful.
Kev I agree its a crap unit but at 300 notes its not that cheap..... When the subject of the one I liked came up a couple of members said it was rubbish and said it could be found elsewhere for a heap of cash less... I think a well known make or genuine Toyota is the safest way.. But to be honest I know nout about Hi Fi and electronics !

Kev I agree its a crap unit but at 300 notes its not that cheap..... When the subject of the one I liked came up a couple of members said it was rubbish and said it could be found elsewhere for a heap of cash less... I think a well known make or genuine Toyota is the safest way.. But to be honest I know nout about Hi Fi and electronics !
Me and Hi Fi Charlie.....now......Chris Rea wrote me a song, just before I upgraded my Scottish turntable for the 47th time.....!!

Car detailing comes a very poor second, but I have always preached that you're dead for more than two weeks.......

The OEM satnav you have does the job,but is a bit complicated to use and wont take postcodes,you have to enter the street name which takes for ever,but it does work.

Leaving it as it is and just buying a tomtom or garmin for £100 would be my way.

Am I going mad then as I can't get the navi button to do anything?

The unit in your photo is not a Nav unit. I believe there is a version with a basic Nav system though.

This was discussed in a thread from a couple of years back: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/119444-do-i-have-navigation/

It would appear that there is a separate sat nav unit that can be controlled from the head you have, but it would appear that you don't have it. :(

.......and since it is a very basic "turn by turn" system, and borders on the dangerous to read on yer wee screen, you are missing nothing, matey.

And speaking from my own experience I wouldn't spend big money on cosmetic items just yet until your sure the car is mechanically sound..sods law something goes wrong just afterwards;~)

Ahhh ok, I thought it might be something like that. Looks like I'll get an external Sat Nav, and just have to use a Laptop for watching DVD's when I kip in it. Thought that £300 was a little to good to be true (seeing as low end named items go for £500+). Bit gutted I can't plug in my iPod now though.

Happy with it so far, might be the low end of the range, but I don't need all the toys. MPG isn't too bad so far, esp for a 1700kg truck. Got it from a dealer, haggled him down, think I got it for an ok price. Only thing I think it really needs is electric folding mirrors.

First mod will be a towbar for the trackbike, and a dog hammock to stop him covering the rear seats in mud (only a Spaniel so has trouble getting in the boot).

Brakes are a little spongy, but I like a good pedal feel, thats a bit lacking but they do work.

Pity your 300mls from me..I have a good tow bar fitted to my Rav (with the detachable end) which you could have had cheap.

I will never use it,but cant be bothered taking it off.

Folding wing mirrors would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Get a dog guard for the spaniel, MrTs are around £75 iirc.

I have to lift my springer into the boot..he could get up but refuses as a protest;~)

I know they are sub £100 anyway, my old man has the previous gen Rav4 which he's just put a towbar on, and it only cost him £90.

Has anyone done the electric folding mirror upgrade? Would have thought it would require new mirrors with the motors installed? Too big a job for me probably.

The dog can get on the back seat, but like yours he protests, moreso at the end of the walk haha.

I was searching e bay yesterday, and there is a refurb toyota tow bar for not a lot of money and complete with electrics. Just search for genuine rav4 tow bars. Nice clean car Damien, has it been polished!

Cheers for the ipod link :)

Flyboy, I'll go look now. Nope it wasn't polished at that point, just cleaned, but its been polished now, lots of nice beads the next day when it rained :disgust: then it got all dirty again. Glad my dad lent me his buffing machine, doing it by hand would have taken me for everrrrr.

More pics before it was polished. Sure you all know what they look like :lol2:

576758_10151473243563877_100941404_n.jpg

976657_10151473243533877_1835876112_o.jp

464793_10151473244203877_688106438_o.jpg

I can't stand swirls though, and even after a polish they are still there, and I really cba to get on it with the clay bar as it will literally take me forever. Black a nightmare to keep clean I know, but I think im going to get my uncle who's a proper car polisher to come down and give it the full workover, just so the paints back to better than it left the factory. Will be keeping it for a few years hopefully so might as well get it done now so its all good for the year.

Claying mine wasn't too bad (took my pic just after)

Black is a pain, but is the best looking once clean and polished!

Dave

"Black is a pain, but is the best looking once clean and polished!" ---- until it rains or you need to drive it!!

Had two Astral Blacks, LC4 & RAV Granite. Looked beautiful in the showroom but utter barstools in real life - never again. Life's too short for all that washing, waxing, etc.

Silver, now there's a truly useful colour..........

I've got a black XT3 - all this Badge snobbery (XTxx) makes me laugh, ok the heater system isnt digital in the XT3 but who cares, I bet I can change my heater settings quicker manually than digitally haha! I'm glad I didnt get leather - my other car has heated leather seats & leather steering wheel - yeah right, when winter comes it's a royal PITA.

I think the Rav's black is richer and brighter than my other car, and I dont understand the black is a pain to keep clean business, cars are all the same in my opinion, had a blue Lexus got dirty, had a blue 350z shown the dust like nobody's business...dirty cars are for lazy people...silver is just dull and they still get dirty! Wax once a year, weekly wash - looks like new.