Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Erratic Idle 2003 Rav 2.0 Petrol

GJM

Anyone point in the right direction.

All o2 sensors been replaced still having issues, sometimes cuts out when clutching in at a junction for example.

Also sometimes dips to 1k rpm then upto 1,5k all by itself.

Throttle body been cleaned out....maybe not enough or is there another likely culprit.

Scanned the car for faults and nothing stored but maybe has to be Toyota diagnostics to show anything

Anyone point in the right direction.

All o2 sensors been replaced still having issues, sometimes cuts out when clutching in at a junction for example.

Also sometimes dips to 1k rpm then upto 1,5k all by itself.

Throttle body been cleaned out....maybe not enough or is there another likely culprit.

Scanned the car for faults and nothing stored but maybe has to be Toyota diagnostics to show anything

What ya mean, dips to 1krpm, mucker min? Where the Curiosity Shoppe does it usually tick over? When was fuel filter last doned....? Your avatar on left sez diesel, and question headed Petrol......are you like me, a Johnnie Two Ravs....? Igor correct below....check MAF, AND ALSO THAT SPARKIES ARE Iridium TIPPED OR WILL TICK OVER POORLY.

check with MAF sensor

regards

Sorry was Johnny two ravs, not got the diesel now.

When you start it races at 2.5rpm from cold, sometimes even does it when warm.

Once you get it to normal idle and take it for a run, say you clutch in whilst moving it has started going up and down, ie driving at say 40mph, clutch in and eyes on rev counter....1.0>1.5>1.0.1.5...it just goes up and down by itself.

Other times you clutch in and it stalls, other times it just drops to very low say 400rpm and stays alive

What is the part near TB, its like a solenoid, if you tap that the revs changed, not sure if just coincedence

Pretty sure all plugs good and recent along with filters inc fuel

If yours is a conventional cable operated throttle ie pre 2004 facelift, then I would suspect the ICV (idle control valve) that is the bit you were tapping when the revs altered. There are plenty of places on the net that show you how to clean it.

If it is a "fly by wire" model with a servo driven throttle body, then it is probably just the butterfly sticking and not closing properly.

Mine had the same symptoms, and a really good clean sorted it out.

Phil

• Like 1

It's at 2003 Rav so guess the ICV more than likely the culprit, however I'm led to believe the TB was all taken off and given a proper clean, is the ICV part of that, can it be replaced?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links