Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Verso Trc Off And Vsc Lights On

CorollaVerso05

I own a 2005 Corolla Verso, 40,000 mile Pre-owned Toyota Certified and serviced at Toyota dealership.
I was driving on an A road when the TRC Off and VSC lights came on (Note: There is no check engine light on). Took it to the local garage for a code read and was told the Steering Angle Sensor was faulty and would need replacement (£ 280 + labour + Vat). The guy told me he did not have any experience on this replacement which requires calibration as well so I thought of going to local Toyota dealership.
The dealership read the code and confirmed it was related to steering angle sensor, but added that re-calibration should sort the problem (£89 + Vat). I left the car with them for the day, and now they have come back and told me that the re-calibration did not work and they have to troubleshoot the problem further. The estimate given is 5 hours of labour @ £90 + Vat per hour just to look for the fault and there are no guarantees that this will solve the problem. Also, Toyota would not replace the sensor straight away until they have confirmed it is not some other issue (and all this is to be done at my expense). They also told me that at the end it might require changing steering angle sensor or wires or ECU chip for air bags and the total expense is expected to be around £2000.
I thought being a Toyota dealership, they would be better at fault finding. I am not sure how to proceed further. Shall I check with some other local garage with experience on calibration.
And above all, is it worth keeping the car if I have to spend £2000 on a car bought from and serviced at Toyota throughout its life?

• 7 months later...

Hi, did you ever sort this out? I had the same issue, told me it was the vsc angle sensor if not then the abs actuator, as they interact, they wanted close to a grand for each inc fitting, I have picked up a second hand vsc for £15 and fitted, did the calibration but no joy, next I'll her the abs actuator and try again buy have read it could be a few other things, although the diag said it was just an incorrect steering angle.

Any new on how u got on would be great.

Cheers

Hi Dean,

We went to a toyota dealer in Taunton who fixed the problem for us by giving us a new angle sensor. It costed us about 600 quid. But since then we have not had any issue with the light. We were told by the toyota dealer in Cheltenham that it could either be the angle sensor or the abs sensor, but the taunton dealer was more precise and actually promised to fix the issue.

Cheers

Thank you for your responce, Ill try the ABS sensor next, if not maybe I got a dud angle sensor and will try another. Cheers :)

• 1 year later...

I had the VSC TRC with engine light, on a 57 Corolla Verso.

When the engine starts only the engine light will come on all the time.

When the car rolls a few meters the VSC TRC would would then come on.

The car did take a hit with another car a moth before the lights appear which is why I think it is not due to the collission. I have always thought it was ABS.

However, my brakes started to run metal on metal so I put new discs and pads. The VSC+TRC and engine light were still on. I then decided to clear the engine light with the Orange RAC code reader tool. The lights stayed off.