Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Daytime Running Lights

johnhrh

Hin to all, Wondoring if anyone could help, I've purchased and fitted a set of Ring Daytime running lights, All has gone well,the only thing is I've had to connect the relay to the side lights so when switching them on the DRL's go off, I realy wanted it to be connected to the dipped beam but the wires going to the headlights are live all the time so it wont work. The idea is live when swithched on cuts off the DRL's.

I was wondering if I would find the right wire at the steering column end, does anyone know ?

regards

Johnhrh

Where are you from? Your idea of connecting the relay to the dipped beam (i.e. DRL shuts off when the dipped beam is on, and to be used as DRL the side lights have to be on along with the DRL) sounds like the Swedish traffic recommendation. So, are you from Sweden?

How come your dipped beam wires (going to H4 light bulb) is always on, as you mentioned? It should not be since it is controlled by the switch. When you shut your car and the key is out, there is no current in any of your head light wires. That is when you make your connections. Now when you start your car and the light switch is in off position the DRL will come on if the controller detects generator charge/change in voltage.If you have connected your relay to the the dipped beam, putting your dipped beam on will kill the DRL. Not knowing which model of Ring DRL you have (different controllers), it is difficult to give specific advice. I hope this helps.

I'm not sure why you'd want this, as (at least in The Netherlands) this would be illegal...

How come your dipped beam wires (going to H4 light bulb) is always on,

as you mentioned? It should not be since it is controlled by the switch.

I can tell you that this is the stock way of switching things! The main lights on

the Aygo have a permanent feed at the common contact ad are switched to ground!

So whan the lights ar OFF the "downstream" wires also measure out at +12V through

the filaments. As soon as the lights are turned on one of those is pulled to ground.

Really weird in these cars is that in markets where dimmed dipped beams are mandatory

the main lights ARE switched on the positive side and common is grounded...

And another little annoyance can be that blowing one of the fuses for the headlights can

cause the filaments to light dim and may illuminate BOTH telltales on the instrument panel...

My advise would be to connect the DRL as required, so on the side lights. And not mess with the mains.

I'm not sure why you'd want this, as (at least in The Netherlands) Really weird in these cars is that in markets where dimmed dipped beams are mandatorythe main lights ARE switched on the positive side and common is grounded..

So if it was My Aygo it would have worked because here in Sweden dipped beam DRL is mandatory in older cars.

Hi, thanks for the info, i come from the uk and it is ok to either run with drl's on whilst side lights on but they must be switched off when putting on headlamps, the live from the side lights switches them off but i wanted to switch them off via dipped beam, this i cannot do.

thanks once again

johnhrh

Hi, Have been thinking about the DRL's, the headlamp wires are permanent 12v, The switch when selected for dipped completes the circuit, the Main beam cable then has no current flowing and visa versa, main beam selected the dipped beam current is dropped, Is there a relay which when dipped is selected drops the current ( connected to the Main beam cable) the other terminal connected to the dipped cable would then be allowed to flow current to the DRL module there by switching the DRL's off.

Just a thought, wondered if there would be a relay to allow this.

regards

johnhrh

Relays are of many kinds. The two that are mostly used are the ones where the trigger current (in your case dipped beam) either makes or breaks the current to the DRL. If you use a 5 pin automotive relay, you can choose to make or break the contact depending on how you wire it. Here is a basic description of a 5 pin relay. Look at it and then draw a diagram illustrating how you intend to use it. That way you will not make a mistake.

http://www.autoswitch.com/relays.php

make sure the relay is marked up with pins 87 & 87a this will be fine but some relays have 2 pin 87's these are good if running spot lights as both pins are fed at the same time.

Hi, thanks for the info, i come from the uk and it is ok to either run with drl's

on whilst side lights on but they must be switched off when putting on headlamps

I'm not from the UK, so I can't be sure, but I really doubt if this is realy so.

Running sidelights with DRL (thus also running taillghts and such) defeats the

purpose of DRL (more contrast in rear when braking, better visibility up front)

and AFAIK the regulations are a European standard saying that DRL may NOT be

accompanied by any other lights up front with exception of the indicators.

Dimming DRL to a side-light intensity is allowed as long as the units are approved for BOTH uses...

Hi, Thanks to all who gave me advice, I have set them up to switch off with side lights, It was going to be a pain trying to get them to switch off with dipped beam with being negative switched.

Makes sense for them to turn off with side lights.

regards johnhrh

• 1 year later...

I've been thinking I might get some daytime running lights for my 57 plate Aygo Black. How easy are they to fit, both mechanically and electrically? Are there any that are particularly recommended? I've only come across the kits in Halfords so far.

Thanks, have you tried these yourself?

No I haven't - just wanted to show you an alternative to the Halfords kit.

I've taken a closer look at the two kits in Halfords, and am leaning towards the round ones instead of the long thin ones at the moment. I figured they could go either end of the lower grille under the number plate. It looks as if a hole will have to be drilled through the grille itself, though, for the wires to go through, as it's only 'open' where the radiator is. Has anyone fitted either of these kits to their car?

There are quite a few topics on daylight running lights within the Aygo club - do a search for 'drls' or similar.

I've done that already actually, but I haven't found anything specific to my query hence the question.

I've managed to fit some daytime running lights to my car, I just need to find an ignition switched supply under the bonnet and I'm done - any ideas?

I could try to post some photos if anyone's interested?

Ok thanks, it's nice to know that someone's interested ☺. I'll try to take some photos later today and post them as soon as I can.

Ok thanks, it's nice to know that someone's interested ☺. I'll try to take some photos later today and post them as soon as I can.

Don't think that no-one was interested - more likely that people didn't have answers to your specific questions.

So yes, pictures of the results would be welcome, and possibly may be of help to others considering fitting DRL's to the Aygo.

As promised, here are some photos of the daytime running lights I recently fitted to my 57 plate Aygo Black. I originally bought a set of Ring Lyra lights from Halfords but soon realised they were too long and I wouldn't have had enough space between them (min 600mm) to be legal when they were in position. So I took them back and exchanged them for some Ring Ursa lights instead which were not only a better size but £10 cheaper too, although more complicated to wire up.

Here is what one of the lights looks like in it's bracket and screwed in place:-

20140830_190850_zpsrov42tr9.jpg

These are the black and white wires from the offside light coming up, and the yellow wire from the relay box heading towards the side light wiring:-

20140830_142845_zpsornzu9dh.jpg

The splice into the side light circuit:-

20140829_133154_zpsejuwoo4j.jpg

The relay box stuck in place:-

20140829_133755_zpsnmsi7dcd.jpg

These are the black and white wires from the relay box heading towards the Battery and fuse box on the other side of the car. The black wire is just connected to the negative terminal on the battery:-

20140830_142727_zpswaa7dcv5.jpg

And the white wire goes to a positive ignition switched source, in this case one of the fuses in the fuse box, which according to my Haynes manual is F14 the engine management control unit fuse:-

20140829_133705_zpsxdgdq5ur.jpg

Here is what the lights look like when switched on:-

20140830_192858_zps3szzuv5_edit_14094266

Everything works as it should i.e. the lights come on when the engine starts (well, just before actually but it doesn't really matter) and they go off when the side lights come on, and vice versa, so all in all I'm pleased with how it's turned out. Thanks for looking and I hope this has been interesting/helpful.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links