Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Dripping Slightly From Overflow Pipe

blackcts

Hi all,

Hope you can all help, I've been on here for years, but I now have a lexus is220d, as you all know its a basically a Toyota with the 2.2 177 diesel engine

I have my 08 IS220d (61k miles) about 7 weeks and its been going fine, about a week after I got the car (lexus approved car)i checked the oil and coolant and the coolant was slightly over the full mark when cold and i noticed lots of dried in coolant stains around the fan belt area. I left the car into lexus and they said they checked it and that the car was fine and the coolant stains must have been just down to being overfilled. The coolant level has now dropped down to halfway between hot and cold (when the car is cold). The car done around 300 miles yesterday (mainly motorway driving) and i noticed a few fresh small wet drops around the fan area - is this normal? Should I send it back to lexus and tell them somethings not right???? Other than that the car drives fine, no mayo around the oil cap, the coolant is pink and the temperature needle sits dead on half way when warm and doesnt budge. It has needed a small top up of oil

Hi I would keep a very close eye on this as it could be early signs of head gasket trouble I have had tho head gaskets go on my avensis 2.2 and both times this was the 1st sign of the infamous head gasket problem, good luck !!

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking, how long did it take for the head gasket to properly go after you first noticing the dripping from the overflow?

First thing I noticed was the heater was blowing cold air then I noticed the temp gauge slightly moving up and down by this time it was too late i presume the coolant had already come out through the overflow pipe, and when I looked at the engine there was coolant everywhere splattered all around the cover,

It's pressure that builds up due to overheating and it all comes out the overflow, if I had of noticed the coolant first then I would have caught it early but I don't think it would have made a difference as once it's going its gone I'd say,

I have had my head skimmed the 2nd time round insteat of replacing the engine as this is too expensive, they say you can't skim the head on these engines but I did and so far it's running great.

Mine cost 1,100 euros to fix its a big difference to replacing an engine at a much greater cost, I could have got a replacement engine from Japan from a guy here fitted and all for 2,800 but I couldn't take the risk of it going just like my last two engines,

The car has wrecked my head due to this problem everything else is fine I need the car as i am a taxi driver and I bought this as they are supposed to be bullet proof for this type of work but I have seen through this web site and from others that they aren't what they used to be its a real shame.

• Like 1

Cheers fella, it's true about Toyota, but all manufacturers have their problems, look at vag with their 2.0 PD engines, Mercedes with injectors etc...cars are !Removed! nightmares!

Sounds like the HG gone! The extended good will warranty for Toyota is 112k or 7 years! I'd be getting a new motor out of them for FREE... Take a search on here for the TSB or look at CharlieFarlies post or mine on the subject...

• Like 1

Cheers lads, left it in and they have given approval for a new engine with updated software! Guy showed me another 2.2 derv around the same age as mine and it was exactly the same with coolant spray over the engine fan!! Can't really complain though, all manufacturers have issues, I really couldnt see the likes of VAG and GM standing over something like this.

Does anyone know how long the warranty is on the modified engines?

Great news mate happy days, it's true about all manufactures have their own problems, why in this day and age with technology so advanced can they not get it right, the old stuff was built to last, i mean I bet Iron man still has his 1st suit somewhere :)

Don't wanna ruin your day but even when you get the new engine keep your eye on it as mine went at 35k miles and take mistermena's advice and read some old posts on this issue.

Best of luck and safe driving.

1 Year is the warranty! After that they wont touch you!.. Unless you put your hand in the sky rocket!....

Cheers lads, I'm hoping that with this latest block will solve the problem, but as you both say I'll keep an eye on it - it was the same story with the 1.8 vvti engine, I've heard of 2nd engines guzzling oil..likely hood I'll only keep it for 30k anyway

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links