Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Snapped Wheel Stud

james-rav4

Took the back wheel off today as the disc protector plate had rusted through and was rattling.

removed it ok .

Put the wheel back on and was tightening the nuts back up and one just snapped clean off !!!

was only using a small brace so not much force was used either!!

any advice please?

can a new stud be fitted?

cheers

James

Ask about if any engineering mates have bolt extractor kits at work (drills the broken stud then left hand thread tapped, bolt inserted and socket removes anticlockwise....been there.) Car should be safe to drive temporarily with four of the five bolts present, but best get new wans Seamus.......good luck.

Big Kev

if it's the same set up as the 4-111 it's on splinese? take caliper off, remove brake drum, punch snapped piece out, can't remember whether you have to remove the brake shoes, as I did, pull new stud into hub.

B-A

thanks for the replies.

the pdf is for a drum brake but I've got discs on the rear ,any different procedure?

It's for both - There are sections marked "w/Drum Brake" and "w/Disc Brake" if you read more carefully! ;)

It does kinda gloss over how to actually remove the prerequisite things like the drum/disc tho'!

It's for both - There are sections marked "w/Drum Brake" and "w/Disc Brake" if you read more carefully! ;)

It does kinda gloss over how to actually remove the prerequisite things like the drum/disc tho'!

ah yes sorry .

bolt from Toyota only I suppose?

looks straightforward really.

ah yes sorry .

bolt from Toyota only I suppose?

looks straightfo

I can just imagine the cost of flying a stud over to you from the depths of China. Or is it Japan?

You might find that you can get hold of an aftermarket stud - these things can't be made just for one model of car?