Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1999 Avensis Steering And Gearbox Problem

Edgars Jupatovs

hey there.

so my parents have 1999 avensis 1.8 manual. recently all of sudden their steering wheel became very hard to turn in some places of the radius. id like to know what could be the problem before sending it to mechanic? looked up in google that this problem could be some belt broken or fluid leak. i checked the engine and didnt see any broken belt also dont rly know where to look for power steering fluid.

also sometimes the gear leaver drops out of 5th gear and i was wondering if it could be serious problem and if it is worth getting new gearbox considering car itself isnt worth that much.

thanks a lot.

Check the power steering belt for wear and check the belt is not slack this will cause the pump to slip and stop working under load if its loose just tighten it up mate hope this helps

for a 1999 car, it could be a pump issue.. .. or perhaps a failing rack.

Once you find the reservoir, it might be worth a fluid change, could be a bit nasty (no fluid lasts forever).

Same for gearbox ...many people don;t change the transmission oil.. .a fluid change on mine made a massive difference (most transmission experts recommend a change at ~80k ... ignore the 'sealed for life')

For the sake of a few quid for fluids, it's worth a 'last chance' shot.... mechanical repairs of either will be pricey (depends how attached to the car your parents are!)