Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Headrests

Tequilla Head

Hi,

Well I've just picked up a very nice auto RAV XT 4 this weekend (54 plate), and have been enjoying driving it around. I've never owned a Toyota before, but so far so good... :clap:

Just wondered if anyone else had an issue with the angle of the front headrests, as they slope forward and are not comfortable at all. I've turned them around 180 deg, which is much better, but they obviously aren't meant to be that way around. Has anyone found any that fit the slot that are more upright per chance?

Welcome to the club.

I had a cheap and chearful Kia Soull which had 3 positions. I have to say that I didn't find them a problem in the RAV but I would have them in a different position if it was possible.

We had a similar issue with the headrests in our 2012 Hyundai i20. The headrests are active and slope forwards as well. We found that we have to recline the backrest a bit more than we are used to, which then puts the headrests into a more upright position, and gives a more comfortable driving position.

I don't think they are meant to be comfortable as they are head restraints, designed to stop your head snapping back in a collision, rather than "headrests"

• Like 2

I don't think they are meant to be comfortable as they are head restraints, designed to stop your head snapping back in a collision, rather than "headrests"

Ditto that........
  • Like 1

Absolutely. In the Kia though I could get them close to the back of my head and they were quite comfy to lean on.

Yes they are designed to support your head and neck in case of an accident. In the case of our Hyundai with the backrest reclined at our usual angle, the headrests forced ones head forward and were too cose to the head, resulting in some jarring when going over bumps, etc. Reclining the backrest a bit more, put the headrest more towards the vertical and, whilst still protecting the head/neck, makes the headrest more comfortable in use (ie not forcing the head forwards).

Very true. But what is the point of a piece of safety kit which causes discomfort and therefore results potentially in other dangers through lack of attention/distraction?

The pioneers of the really clever seats/head restraints, Saab & Volvo, were able to make them unobtrisive & comfortable.

Hi,

Well I've just picked up a very nice auto RAV XT 4 this weekend (54 plate), and have been enjoying driving it around. I've never owned a Toyota before, but so far so good... :clap:

Just wondered if anyone else had an issue with the angle of the front headrests, as they slope forward and are not comfortable at all. I've turned them around 180 deg, which is much better, but they obviously aren't meant to be that way around. Has anyone found any that fit the slot that are more upright per chance?

Hi,

there are several aftermarket headrests available with built in video screens. These are not model specific but do come with two sets of support tubes of different diameters. This leads me to believe that, unless you are very unlucky, you should be able to find some in a scrapyard that will fit and meet your requirements. I had to change the head restraints on the OH's Pug for the same reason. HOWEVER - the original units would be part of the "crash test" during the vehicles development and changing them might be an insurance issue, particularly after an accident. Insurance Companies, with, IMHO, some justification, are fairly sensitive about whiplash claims these days.

I must have a weird body, I find them comfortable and can actually rest my head on them, which I havent been able to do in any other car :)

Gus

I must have a weird body, I find them comfortable and can actually rest my head on them, which I havent been able to do in any other car :)

Gus

Hi Gus,

No, I think ( hope! ) you are pretty normal - I find the RAV head restraints pretty good as well. 30mm higher would be perfect, but I haven't found a car yet that had them high enough. If I remember correctly, the horizontal centreline of the "cushion" should be level with your eyes. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate that these are Head 'Restraints' and not Head 'Rests', but this is the first car that I have driven that has restraints that slope forward as much as these do. I guess I'm just going to have to keep playing around with all the seat settings to find a combination that works for me...

Good point about the insurance aspect - hadn't thought of that!

Aside from that though, I have to say I really like the car so far ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links