Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Side Light And Number Plate Led Bulbs Query

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

HI ALL

I have been thinking about my next mod...a cheap and cheerful one though lol.

I am thinking of going for some L.E.D front side light bulbs and some rear number plate L.E.D bulbs to match...the "error free" l.e.d's though...

Has anyone done this and are they happy with the look? What bulbs do I need to complete both bulbs...T5 wedges as normal?

Sammy :fox:

Yea they are 501 wedges, i've done the rear plate, front side lights, inner passenger light, boot light.

The ones i bought are extremely bright, unfortunatly they are towards the blue end of the spectrum which did almost cause an m.o.t failure for me on the front as they looked blue under certain lighting conditions but i managed to talk them round.

The rear plate bulbs are bright enough to cast light onto the floor :dontgetit: , i might see if i can order some that arent as bright.

Yea they are 501 wedges, i've done the rear plate, front side lights, inner passenger light, boot light.

The ones i bought are extremely bright, unfortunatly they are towards the blue end of the spectrum which did almost cause an m.o.t failure for me on the front as they looked blue under certain lighting conditions but i managed to talk them round.

The rear plate bulbs are bright enough to cast light onto the floor :dontgetit: , i might see if i can order some that arent as bright.

THANKS foxX...hmmm I thought about doing the interior bulbs but then my other half thought there is no point as I don't think we ever use them...actually I wonder if they work lol...I know my boot light hasn't worked since the day we bought the car and that's one light I do miss...

But how about upgrading the reverse lights to led? They would look quite nice but then my other half recons how often do you move in reverse...men!

Hey foxx...how many led's do your front sidelights have??? :nerd:

I bought a few sets of these (link) which are 5 LED ones, really cheap.

Note they only work one way round if you buy any LED's of any type. I wasn't actually able to find any for the rear lights, but I started to think they might discolour the nice red glow you usually get so I wasn't too bothered.

I wouldn't mind looking at adding the dual fog light addition though that some people have done, I just need a bits and pieces.

I bought a few sets of these (link) which are 5 LED ones, really cheap.

Note they only work one way round if you buy any LED's of any type. I wasn't actually able to find any for the rear lights, but I started to think they might discolour the nice red glow you usually get so I wasn't too bothered.

I wouldn't mind looking at adding the dual fog light addition though that some people have done, I just need a bits and pieces.

HI

Whats the dual fog light addition about???

I've gone for 13led for the front sidelights and 5led for the number plates!!!! Hmmm...things might be a likkle bright then!

lol I think it depends on the led to be honest :)

You know how you have just the one rear fog light, well the compartment in the other light is just blanked over and un-used so you can wire in another bulb if you wanted. A lot of people have gone for a dual rear brake light effect by swapping the rear fog for another brake and wiring up the other side. Although you'd need a quick way of putting it back in for m.o.t time.

Post on it here : http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/126810-corolla-e12-jdm-taillights/ .

Something to do if you're bored :p

lol I think it depends on the led to be honest :)

You know how you have just the one rear fog light, well the compartment in the other light is just blanked over and un-used so you can wire in another bulb if you wanted. A lot of people have gone for a dual rear brake light effect by swapping the rear fog for another brake and wiring up the other side. Although you'd need a quick way of putting it back in for m.o.t time.

Post on it here : http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/126810-corolla-e12-jdm-taillights/ .

Something to do if you're bored :P

LOL...if i'm bored! Hmmm...but yes I did see that posting and did consider it...and even though its beautifully illustrated...it still seems kinda confusing/technical to me...all to be reversed come mot time...i'd rather give it a miss.

Might take some pics once my rear/front leds have been installed tomorrow...and I wont forget to switch them round if they don't light up! I haven't even checked how much space I have in the engine bay to even get to them lol!

:fox:

Hi Sammy,

Tried some single led front sidelights some time ago, blue hint to them but really poor light and very narrow beam, so put the original bulb back in !

Will be very interested to see/ hear how your 13 led ones look.

Been looking out for some running lights but decent kits like the Phillips or Ring ones seem expensive and the cheaper ones are very small by comparison.

Also where to fit them to look good ? - perhaps something could be used in the front fog light housing, after all how often do we actually use front fog light to see in the fog these days - never found they make much different in fog anyway !

Most people just use them as pretend driving lights anyway, along with their driving caps.

Hi Sammy,

Tried some single led front sidelights some time ago, blue hint to them but really poor light and very narrow beam, so put the original bulb back in !

Will be very interested to see/ hear how your 13 led ones look.

Been looking out for some running lights but decent kits like the Phillips or Ring ones seem expensive and the cheaper ones are very small by comparison.

Also where to fit them to look good ? - perhaps something could be used in the front fog light housing, after all how often do we actually use front fog light to see in the fog these days - never found they make much different in fog anyway !

Most people just use them as pretend driving lights anyway, along with their driving caps.

Good afternoon Oldcodger,

Hey long time no hear???

I didn't notice sidelights even had a beam lol, thought they're there just so others can see you, but hey I installed my 13led version this morning...Hmmm...well they look very modern...but I don't know now...my other laughed his head off and recons they make our car look like a lunar park!!! I'll till after dark to look at them again...but I can see myself switching to maybe a single led later...BUT the number plate one's seem to look very nice...but again will know after dark as to how effective they are...don't seem to bright right now! B)

Speaking of running lights, I bought some form Halfords last year on clearance, Rind led ones, originally £29.99 down to £4.99, bargain I know, but I bought them because fit perfect in our bottom grills---those black slot thingy's between the fog lamps!

I personally wouldn't try to modify your fog lamps or there surrounds, they're nice to have and are quite effective in fog I recon, hey our winters are only going get worse! You could go for the led strip day lights too, can stick them on the front bumper, headlamps, or any where you wish! :eek:

Have you made any mods to your Rolla? I remember your tweeter mod, looked very nice, but otherwise I can't think...oh yes you installed some sound proofing if I am not mistaken, how's that worked out?

Take care and god bless :flowers:

Hi Sam,

No other mods than those mentioned, its still running well, nearly up to 70K now and still just normal service items - touch wood !

Would be interested to know the model number of those Ring DRL and if you have a picture of them fitted.

Also can you get a pic of your 13 led sidelights when on ?

Some eBay DRL leds look very small compared to the big ones you see on the German cars, think on them each led / dome is a big 10W led inside, though think they are almost too bright/ almost dazzling.

Hi Sam,

No other mods than those mentioned, its still running well, nearly up to 70K now and still just normal service items - touch wood !

Would be interested to know the model number of those Ring DRL and if you have a picture of them fitted.

Also can you get a pic of your 13 led sidelights when on ?

Some Ebay DRL leds look very small compared to the big ones you see on the German cars, think on them each led / dome is a big 10W led inside, though think they are almost too bright/ almost dazzling.

HI

Good to hear the old dear is still going strong, can't compare them to the old Avensis days hey! Well mine gave me a hard time anyway)

I haven't yet fitted those Ring DRL's, purchased them on impulse being so cheap, and have sat in my loft since, but the next time I am in there I'll note the box details. I'm sure their a 5 minute job to install, I'm sure that I bought the wiring kit for them too, its just that a am not sure if I like the look of them or need them on really, but I hear it will be law soon to have driving lights even on older cars???

I'll post some pics of the 13led soon.

:flowers:

Take care matey

Hi Sam,

Surprised those DRLs are still in the loft, bet its like a ECP store room up there !! :laughing:

Never heard about any new fittings like the DRL ever being applied retrospectively.

Think I might be gettng the new-er car bug, would just like something similar size to the rolla, but with a more comfy ride and the ability to soak up the pot holes etc, the old bones are not up to such a battering these days.

The rolla with standard tyres is not that bad, but looking at the recent Auto Express top 100 car survey it seems the Golf, Focus and Megane are likely contenders, though the Skoda Yeti is no 1 but it really is quiet a big car when you actual look at one, just not my style,

The Auris, just never liked the interior looks and a test drive in the old Yaris was like a tin can after the Avensis.

Renault always seen to have a good ride but always seem to have a poor reliability, whereas I've had the Avensis and Rolla for nearly 15 years and never have a breakdown or fault part until that 02 sensor.

Any thoughts....

Hi Sam,

Surprised those DRLs are still in the loft, bet its like a ECP store room up there !! :laughing:

Never heard about any new fittings like the DRL ever being applied retrospectively.

Think I might be gettng the new-er car bug, would just like something similar size to the rolla, but with a more comfy ride and the ability to soak up the pot holes etc, the old bones are not up to such a battering these days.

The rolla with standard tyres is not that bad, but looking at the recent Auto Express top 100 car survey it seems the Golf, Focus and Megane are likely contenders, though the Skoda Yeti is no 1 but it really is quiet a big car when you actual look at one, just not my style,

The Auris, just never liked the interior looks and a test drive in the old Yaris was like a tin can after the Avensis.

Renault always seen to have a good ride but always seem to have a poor reliability, whereas I've had the Avensis and Rolla for nearly 15 years and never have a breakdown or fault part until that 02 sensor.

Any thoughts....

HI

"bet its like a ECP store room up there!"...some how I get that all the time lol.

Am I reading right...Oldcodger wants to venture away from Toyota? That would be a crime my friend! lol, I recon the new Avensis would suit you fine...solid & a nice quiet and relaxed environment...or maybe the Rav...its like a corolla but 4X4ish...the Yaris or Auris are defo no no's for us! So it has to be the Avensis then...or live a little and go for a Landcruiser!!! Just don't leave Toyota...there has to be something in the range for you!

Hi Sammy,

Still like the Avensis, but it really is too big and is only available as saloon or estate.

The Corolla with its 5 door hatch is so right for my needs.

Have you driven the Auris ? - I know its slated by some Corolla members as a tin can ..

I've driven my dads Auris SR quite a bit, it gets you from A to B but although the finish in the cabin looks ok you can see where they have cut corners to save money. The 1.6 is quite fuel efficient, he gets about 43mpg with mixed driving but its absolutely gutless when you put your foot down. My sisters 1.6 eco boost ford engine feels quicker and is if anything more economical and that's a heavier c-max.

Unfortunately the SR is also a tad bumpier on the roads due to different springs and type size due to the larger alloys, but it does look pretty good.

Hi Sammy,

Still like the Avensis, but it really is too big and is only available as saloon or estate.

The Corolla with its 5 door hatch is so right for my needs.

Have you driven the Auris ? - I know its slated by some Corolla members as a tin can ..

HI

True say...it is a bit on the large side if you say that the hatch is a perfect fit for you.

I have driven the Auris, i was nearly very tempted to go for one at my local dealer a year or so ago because it had the full motorsport kit and leather, fell in love with it, but found it a teed smaller on the inside than the corolla and my partner persuaded me otherwise, infact the saleman thought i was mad too!

Its a lot more modern, different is the right word, its hard to say, i opened and closed the doors, bonnet, boot etc, felt the same as a the Rolla, guess the interior panels and switches are a bit on the cheap side, but as a change from the rolla its not too bad, i say if you find the right spec for you at the right price...go for it, they dont hold their value as much as the rolla thats for sure!

:driving: