Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Oil

alanpostman

could anyone help me out. my Toyota dealer said they use 5w-30 semi synthetic oil, but I was wondering if it would be ok to use fully synthetic instead. doing my own servicing now the car is out of warranty, many thanks,

As long as the oil you use meets Toyota requirements - then yes. What does your owners manual say about the Toyota preferred oil (ie what oil was the car filled with at the factory)? The preferred oil may be 0W-20 (it is for the Aygo and the petrol 1.33 Auris).

could anyone help me out. my Toyota dealer said they use 5w-30 semi synthetic oil, but I was wondering if it would be ok to use fully synthetic instead. doing my own servicing now the car is out of warranty, many thanks,

Yes, fully synthetic oils that meet Toyota standards are ok. There are several (Toyota) alternatives. My Toyota dealer uses fully synthetic oil for my car (2012 1.0 iQ).

I have heard that any 0W20 or 0W30 oil is fully synthetically manufactured. My question is whether it is okay to use 5W20 fully synthetic instead of the recommended 0W20 fully synthetic oil ? Where I am (Toronto), 0W20 never goes on sale, but I can usually find 5W20 on sale for 40% off.

• 2 weeks later...

it's service day for my QiuQiu today, they use VX600 5W40

Oil requirements (viscosity) can vary from country to country, depending on climate, etc.

The following post highlights oils which are OK for UK IQ's - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/148385-engine-oil/.

Yacco VX600 5W-40 is an API SL oil so meets Toyota's specification, and may be a preferred oil by the organisation responsible for importing Toyotas into your country.

• 1 month later...

Your average 15W/40 at Tesco motoroil is just fine. No need to buy the 5 time more expensive 0/20.

******THIS STATEMENT IS INACCURATE AND POTENTIALLY MISLEADING*****

Edited by Red Yaris 54
Clarification of facts

But why would you buy the 15w 40 to use in the UK,?

5w 40 or 5w 30 would be more appropriate and no more expensive.

george

In the UK Toyota have asked their dealer network to use 0W-20 or 5W-30 oil in Optimal Drive engines.

Your average 15W/40 at Tesco motoroil is just fine. No need to buy the 5 time more expensive 0/20.

THIS INFORMATION IS POTENTIALLY MISLEADING DAVID GILMOUR

Toyota specify 0W-20 oil in the UK to assist cold starting and fuel economy 15W-40 will not help that :(

Before posting such misleading and inaccurate information on TOC please check your full facts and specifications as your information may confuse the important issue of oil specifications

• Like 2

Engine Oil selection and change frequency is critical to prolong engine life.

If you are going to keep your Car for quite a few years then the best lubricant is the way to go in my view.

If you plan to change your car every 2 / 3 years or before 100,000 miles then you can buy cheaper Oil and pass on the problem (Wear) to someone else !

To defend my claim, i am the first owner of a 2009 IQ with 75K miles. Been doing the oil change myself and my IQ still starts perfectly. Even when we had last cold winter with temperatures of minus 20 degrees Celcius.

The thing about the low Viscosity Oil is that Toyota made a big deal about it at the launch of the iQ and that was part of the Great Claimed MPG's.

Light car, ECO Tyres, efficient VVTI engine with Low Viscosity oil, Low Emissions, & Great MPG.

Well real life drivers found like all other Manufacturers, there MPG's were fiction.

So Toyota change the Recommended Oil Viscosity.

Costs more to buy, but might decrease fuel use.

ECO tyres Might reduce fuel used, but cost more to replace.

That is how 'Green Technology works'

Published Figures, keep weight down , no Spare Wheel or jack etc.

They are great cars, it just that Toyota could make them even better,

they went Euro 5 Emissions, increase the Warranty to 5 Years.

Tough luck on the Paying Customers that had the first re-calls and acted as Paying Road Testers to help Toyota Develop the car in the first 2-3 years.

Gesture made sometimes a bunch of Flowers or Boxes of Chocolates.

(it should have been an Extended Warranty Free Gratis from Toyota IMO.)

george

See 'How Green is it?' at the time of launch in 2009.

Toyota iQ review (2009 onwards) - MSN Cars UK.htm

• Like 2

Just checked my user manual, toyota itself says 15w40 is ok for the benzin iq

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links