Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing Camera Xt5, T180 - Have I Done Something Wrong?

Eirkir

My car is ready for install rev camera. So, I bought chinese one from eBay. It worked great on my TV at home.

I have connected it to my rav4 to S7 socket. It worked but on the screen were srtipes instead of real picture because of to low 6V power. Camera is 12V.

"Check surrounding for safety" appeared as well :)

Then I have deceided to connect it to real 12V and connected as below picture shows. I have fried the camera :( Any ideas?

rev-camera-connection.jpg

Now.......a fellow member posted a photo of a Rav dashboard which impersonated Chernobyl on a good day......therein lay the hint mate not to be cutting corners.......

• Like 1

Rome was not built in a day but it is a simple question to smarter people than me not to some sarcastic full of complexes guys :)

Rome was not built in a day but it is a simple question to smarter people than me not to some sarcastic full of complexes guys :)

The only misunderstanding here seems to be one of "lost in translation" mate.....so please accept my abject apologies for no allowance being made for that, and that only.

However, both in graphic pictures and normal text you were warned about meddling in that which can be dangerous......then you pass 12v down a 6 volt camera......?????

No sarcasm intended.....just friendly SAFETY advice........in Scottish.

• Like 1

Aftermarket chinese cameras are 12V so I need 12V to make the camera alive :)

Genuine Toyota rev camera is 6V. As I wrote above it works with 6V from S7 but 6V gives not to much power.

My the only advice I need is to confirm that my connection is good or I'm going wrong way :)

No additional friendly advices needed :king:

This forum is so entertaining some times......moving on, Adam where did you connect the earth from the camera ? Also did you run the live feed through a fuse ?

This forum is so entertaining some times......moving on, Adam where did you connect the earth from the camera ? Also did you run the live feed through a fuse ?

Every forum needs a bit of entertainment - its obvious :clap: But I need a simple advice only :)

I connected earth from the camera to car body and to S7 power ground and video ground: I have put together both S7 grounds and soldered it to camera ground and carbody ground as picture shows. I didn't use any fuse :(

Aftermarket chinese cameras are 12V so I need 12V to make the camera alive :)

Genuine Toyota rev camera is 6V. As I wrote above it works with 6V from S7 but 6V gives not to much power.

My the only advice I need is to confirm that my connection is good or I'm going wrong way :)

No additional friendly advices needed :king:

Simples ........delete friendly......leave in SAFETY..........

Every forum needs a bit of entertainment - its obvious :clap: But I need a simple advice only :)

I connected earth from the camera to car body and to S7 power ground and video ground: I have put together both S7 grounds and soldered it to camera ground and carbody ground as picture shows. I didn't use any fuse :(

NEVER bypass the fitting of a fuse!!

Cautionary tale ... I fitted the GENUINE Toyota spotlights to my RAV4, compete with relay with integral fuse. I live in an area where street lights are few and far between and deers and other creatures like to roam the roads, so good lighting is essential.

The relay failed, and I bought another compatible relay from a factors BUT ... this had no fuse integral, but I decided to fit it in the meantime between sorting out wiring a fuse in the circuit. At the same time, I decided to get better bulbs in the spotlights (not higher wattage, just better Quality ones) and when I put the covers back on, I accidentally trapped a wire on one of them and securing the lenses cut partially through the insulation.

All good apparently and lights worked fine but as they got used at night, I guess things warmed up, the now overly thin insulation melted and shortcircuit resulted after a few days (!) ... and due to no fuse, result was direct Battery to ground connection via the spotlight wiring.

Smoke pouring out of bonnet, wiring melting and bits of plastic dripping down.

Luckily this happened while I was about to refit the fuse and so was by the car and could quickly get under bonnet and just get a pair of cutters to chop the cable.... If this started overnight, my RAV could have very easily resembled the one Kev referred to :(

So moral is ... fuses are GOOD ;)

• Like 1

Problem solved :) Thanks guys for your help.

Obviously my connection was wrong hence fried camera.

Today I took my time, did few drawings put my thinking cap on and then connected new camera. Voila! Its working!

I took plenty of pictures so I will describe it in a new post :)

Have good evening, Adam