Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil

FROSTYBALLS

Devon Aygo has recently supplied the following information on oil requirements:

"The issues over which oils are used is caused by a European law called "Block exemption" the same law that states that manufacturers can't insist on main dealer servicing, also stops Toyota from insisting what oils are used by anyone wishing to service a car including their own dealer network. All Toyota are allowed to do is list a set of specifications that the oil used must meet they can also list a "preferred" oil. For example I have listed below the requirements Toyota have for the mkiii Prius, a car that has caused a lot of posts over the oils that have been used during servicing. This info is taken from Toyota's Service data sheet for European Prius mkiii only!

Preferred option:
0w20

Other listed options:
5w20
5w30
10w30
15w40
20w50

These grades above are listed by Toyota as they meet the following required specifications:

API grade SL or SM multigrade engine oil
API grade SL “Energy-Conserving”. SM “Energy-Conserving” or ILSAC* multigrade engine oil.

Toyota can only require the oils used meet the minimum specifications above. So long a the oil used meets the above the oil grade is not enforceable.

At present Toyota have "asked" but cannot enforce the dealer network to use the following,

Mk3 Prius, Prius plug-in, Prius +, Mk1 Auris HSD, Mk2 Auris HSD & Yaris HSD 0w20  PFE API "SN" ILSAC GF-5

Mk1 & Mk2 Prius 5w30 FE API "SL" Acea A5/B5

Optimal drive petrol models 0w20 PFE API "SN" ILSAC GF-5 ( This now covers all UK spec petrol cars excl 1.2t )

Other petrol engines 5w30 FE API "SL" Acea A5/B5

Diesel engines incl Optimal drive 5w30 FE API "SL" Acea A5/B5

Diesel engines with DPF including optimal drive 5w30 PFE API "CF/SL" Acea C2

New additions Aug 2016:

MK1 Proace 5w30 API "SN" Acea C2 ( different spec to Toyota's engines )

BMW 1WW 1.6 & 2WW 2.0 Diesels as used in Auris 1.6d, Avensis 1.6/2.0d, Verso 1.6d & RAV4 2.0d 5w30 Acea C3

GD Engines in New Landcruiser & Hilux 5w30 PFE API "CF/SL" Acea C2

8NR-FTS 1.2 Turbo 0w20  for Downsized Turbo Gasoline Engines API "SL/SM/SN" ILSAC GF-4

• 4 weeks later...

Depends on the general climate where you live what grade oil you should use.. ive used Mobil 1 super 3000 synth 5w 30 from 40k to well over 70k and its worked brilliantly. But I live in the middle of england...

I use a 20/50 in my AE92 and a 5/30 in my KE30 now that its been rebuilt

I'm on 10w40 semi synthetic, apparently that's what my corolla should be using

Fair enough..depends on what you use the car for etc.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Handbook says 5w/30, so 5w/30 semi-synthetic is what goes in :driving:

• 2 weeks later...

whats the best oil for my corolla 1.3 se 1999 v reg?

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on a number of factors...Mileage, temperature,etc... Also the cold starts are a factor when chosing the oil type for your engine...the websites of several companies that produce engine oil have some literature to help us understand what is behind each type of oil so that users can read the 0w30 or others marks that the oil brings....Generaly the car builders desing and test an engine to work with a type of oil, because in the tests they do, they verify that is the more adequate type of oil to that engine...Use the type recomend by toyota for your engine model, and then read about the several oil provided in the market, because although they are the same type sometimes there are small diferences between them...and see how the engine performs, in oil consumption, for example. If you trying a new brand,or a diferent viscosity change also the oil filter if you dont already change it everytime you change the engine oil.

Regarding the fact that toyota and others, dont recomend a particular brand and type, its because of the competition laws, that also permit you to do your regular checkup at a diferent shop other than the oficial toyota, without losing the waranty, as long they respect the toyota procedures. I do my toyota checkup at the oficial stand, but there is no reason why we should go there, other wise you lose the waranties. This extends to oil types, tyres, light bulbs, etc...Hope i could help you...

whats the best oil for my corolla 1.3 se 1999 v reg?

The first post of this topic details what oils should be used in the various Toyota engines:

Mk3 Prius, Prius plug-in, Prius +, Mk1 Auris HSD, Mk2 Auris HSD & Yaris HSD 0w20

Mk1 & Mk2 Prius 5w30

Optimal drive petrol models 0w20 or 5w30

Other petrol engines 5w30

Diesel engines incl Optimal drive 5w30

Diesel engines with DPF including optimal drive 0w30 or 5w30 meeting C2 low ash specifications"

So for your Corolla it will be 5W-30

• 3 weeks later...

In the UK Mobil sell variations of either Mobil One or Mobil Super 2000/3000 - not Mobil One Super 3000.

• 10 months later...

Hi all,only joined today and am an x Toyota owner,i had a corolla 2001 with 260000miles and can I say it never ever broke down,i tried different oils over a one year period from the most expensive to the cheapest,mobil to Castrol none of them were good except for the cheapest,my engine ran better and burned less of the cheapest oil but it drank the Castrol and Mobil.But it only used 1 litre per 2000 miles so for that I didn't mind.Can I just say my corolla was the greatest car I ever owned ever...and it was only a 1.4 petrol but it never broke down never had a clutch change never had gearbox or engine problems.2 rear shocks is all I ever changed but I blame the 2.5 tonne trailer I sometimes pulled lol...I changed to a vw Passat b7 last year and can I say its the biggest mistake I ever made I will at my earliest change back to Toyota and hopefully a 2012 plus avensis...

• 4 months later...

Mobil1 is one of the best oils in my opinion!

Mobil1 is great, been using it for a while now, never really dissapoints.

• 5 months later...

hello

which oil to use for 1st servis Toyota Corolla 1.33 (2015).

''my'' Toyota Service have said that they will replace it with 5w30. In Toyota manual they recommended 0w 20.

is 5w30 oil is also good. Or should I buy 0w 20? this one http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-eco-synth-ecs-0w-20.html

Tnx

(srry for bad English)

0W-20 is Toyota's preferred oil. It is up to you as to whether you go with the oil the dealer uses or buy 0W-20 and get the dealer to use that. 0W-20 may give you slightly better economy.

hello

which oil to use for 1st servis Toyota Corolla 1.33 (2015).

''my'' Toyota Service have said that they will replace it with 5w30. In Toyota manual they recommended 0w 20.

is 5w30 oil is also good. Or should I buy 0w 20? this one http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-eco-synth-ecs-0w-20.html

Tnx

(srry for bad English)

Depends on how hot it is where you live and how hard you're driving the vehicle (eg up steep hills, thrashing it at high speed etc).My own preference is for the thicker oil at least 5w 30.

The 0W 20 is just a straight 20 grade oil with additives to make it skinnier at low temperatures. I've seen anecdotal statements about it giving better fuel economy than the 5W 30 but not as I recall anything independently tested and verified. Logic tells me that the 0W 20 oil will drain away faster from the oil galleries, bearing surfaces, rings etc overnight and so have more catching up to do from a cold start. I know Toyota have now changed the temperature graph in ther handbook to extend the 0W 20 to cover much higher temps but they're only interested in CAFE points.

Hey I'm in Aus, have an 05 Corolla with around 200kms, is 5w30 the go? Still gauging how much oil she burns.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, king_rick_ said:

Hey I'm in Aus, have an 05 Corolla with around 200kms, is 5w30 the go? Still gauging how much oil she burns.

Which engine do you have in it?

Which engine do you have in it?

1.8 vvti