Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Modification For Travelling Abroad

Hi all,

I own a 1999 (clear headlight lens) 4.1 model and I'm planning on exporting the vehicle to France, from the UK.

To avoid buying new headlights designed for left-hand drive cars, and as a permanent fix, I was wondering if it is possible to adjust the headlights to meet the French regulations/MOT. Beam deflectors are not valid for the Controle Technique (French MOT).

Looking at the rear of the lights, there is a screw for left/right adjustment, but I can not find one for up/down (adjusting from inside the cabin using the load change switch is not acceptable).

Does anyone know if this can be done and how?

Thanks in anticipation.

Not possible. Originaly I come from Germany and in my previous cars structure of whole headlight was different than the UK ones.

Depends on type of headlight sometimes you must replace everything, sometimes only part of headlight.

Hi all,
I own a 1999 (clear headlight lens) 4.1 model and I'm planning on exporting the vehicle to France, from the UK.
To avoid buying new headlights designed for left-hand drive cars, and as a permanent fix, I was wondering if it is possible to adjust the headlights to meet the French regulations/MOT. Beam deflectors are not valid for the Controle Technique (French MOT).
Looking at the rear of the lights, there is a screw for left/right adjustment, but I can not find one for up/down (adjusting from inside the cabin using the load change switch is not acceptable).
Does anyone know if this can be done and how?
Thanks in anticipation.

No, this will not alter the ‘shape’ of the beam pattern to get rid of the dazzle causing area. In order to get rid of the dazzle, the headlamp would have to be set so low that your forward vision would be severely compromised and your headlight beam pattern would be deemed to be too ‘short’ and therefore would be ‘illegal’.

So far as I know, for a permanent fix, you'll needs to change the complete headlight unit to LHD. Expensive, so shop around.

Chris

But does anyone have any experience of the internals/design (LHD vs RHD) of the RAV's headlights? Trouble is, even if the information were available, they are factory-sealed units, so modification would be very difficult, I guess.

Yes, sadly Josif, as you see, you will need a set of headlights, and some times, they are available from e bay. When I exported my motorbike from UK, I changed the light, and was recently able to sell that to a person who had done the reverse, and imported a bike to the UK!

Good luck with the move!

Josif,

Could you not fit deflectors only to get you a la France, apres which you could search out a pair of lights at votre scrapyard local?

Bon chance et voyage.

You can put deflectors and go for a trip through a whole of Europe and.... that's it.

It is not possible to pass "Controle Technique" in France or "Tüv" in Germany or even "przeglad techniczny" in Poland.

You MUST have LHD headlights. BTW in Poland is not possible to register any UK car.

Josif,

Could you not fit deflectors only to get you a la France, apres which you could search out a pair of lights at votre scrapyard local?

Bon chance et voyage.

Lol....yes I think that's the right option.

Happy motoring :)

Josif,

Bon chance et voyage.

Lol....yes I think that's the right option.

Happy motoring :)

Bienvenue a le humour d'Ecosse.......j'espere it works out pour vous et vos lumieres. More lol.......