Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hollow Rattling On Uneven Road With Nearly New Tr

Spearfish

I recently bought a 12 plate Avensis TR 2.0 D-4D tourer (7K miles) and after a few days of settling in with the car have noticed that the rear is rattling (with a hollow, wooden sound) when going over patchy tarmac and uneven roads at 20-30 mph. I have read a number of other posts from other members that have had similar problems, except that their cars have been older and the problems most likely related to worn bushings.

The first thing I did was to remove the spare and boot fixtures, but it was not that.

Next I jacked it up and inspected all the rubber bushes and visually they all looked fine as would be expected with a newish car. I also check for any movement but did not find any.

I then loaded up the car with four other mates but the sound was still there when driving over our towns patched up roads. This leads me to believe that it is probably not a loose joint or bushing.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Should I be concerned, or do modern, light-weight cars resonate on rough roads?

Apart from this the car drives smoothly on the motorway and larger bumps sounds and feel as expected. Cornering is also fine.

I also checked tire pressure to make sure they were not too hard and this is my first car with alloys - so I've always had more cushioning.

All I can think of is that with all the bars, bushings and joints under the rear, that cumulatively there may be enough movement to cause the rattle. Only time will tell. Maybe this is why the previous owner sold it?

I have a 2010 petrol Tourer and have no such noises at all. As you have just bought it and considering the low mileage I would go straight back to the dealer for it to be looked at. There is a recall on recent models for a bolt on the rear suspension to be checked so check with Toyota to see if this has been done, it is free. Don't leave it to see what happens as it could be a serious fault.

I have a 12 plated TR Estate with what is probably the same rattle, no luck in tracking down the source yet.

Update:

After a lot of drive testing I believe that it is the rear brake pads. By driving over the uneven road with the brakes lightly engaged the rattling stopped and I was just left with the dull tire noise over the bumps.

Tomorrow I will be taking the car to the garage so lets see if they come to the same conclusion.

Update 2:

The guy at the Toyota garage did a road test and agreed that the rattling is coming from the brakes. They will also re-grease them under warranty due to the low mileage.

Nice work figuring that one out. Did the mechanic mention what was making them rattle?

I've forgotten the exact wording that he used, however I'll get the details next week after the work is done.

It's not the usual clicking that you get when gently drive the car forwards and backwards. In that case the pads are moving within the calipers, being pushed back and forth by the disks.

Out of interest do you consider the Avensis to be a quiet car? In comparison to my previous Focus there's a lot more transmission noise at lower speeds although at motorway speeds it's better although there is a plastic rattle coming from the right air vent when accelerating at speed.

Out of interest do you consider the Avensis to be a quiet car? In comparison to my previous Focus there's a lot more transmission noise at lower speeds although at motorway speeds it's better although there is a plastic rattle coming from the right air vent when accelerating at speed.

Have driven (not owned) many cars over the years and to date the only car that has been quieter than the Avensis I own has been a 2011 Citroen C5. It was comfortable and very quiet but handled like a barge and did not inspire any confidence at all.

I get no interior rattles or squeaks in the Avensis. Having driven two TR Tourers, mine and one test drive in another one, there was a noticeable difference in tyre noise. My Avansis is currently running on the original Bridgestones. My first test drive was on Goodyear Excelence tyres and was much quieter. The fronts on my car are due for replacement soon and I will be switching to Goodyear Efficient Grip due to the rating they get. I am hopefull they will make the ride even quieter than it is now.

Try a bit of silicon lubricant on the vent, you know the aerosol one that gets used on window rubbers etc. It helps to quieten squeaky/rattly things down a bit.

Nice work figuring that one out. Did the mechanic mention what was making them rattle?

I had this on the front brakes on two T25's. The fault was worn slide guide pins, allowing the complete caliper to move "in and out". Obviously a different model of car, but maybe the same thing.

In comparison to my previous Kia Sedona I do find the Avensis noisier on rough tarmac. The Michelin tires seem to pick up the roughness of the road. However on the motorway the ride is quieter and at the moment there isn't much else rattling except the brakes.

I am suffering with this as well, only happens on a very rough road (plenty of those in Lancashire).

For others when it occurs can you feel it through the steering. I have had me my suspension checked out by a garage and they said all the suspension components are all very tight with no play.

thanks.

In comparison to my previous Kia Sedona I do find the Avensis noisier on rough tarmac. The Michelin tires seem to pick up the roughness of the road. However on the motorway the ride is quieter and at the moment there isn't much else rattling except the brakes.

I found the tyres to be under inflated all round (thanks Motorpoint), Generally quieter now although I will be fitting Conti's when replacements are needed. I still think the transmission noise isn't the best although this disappears at speed. The rattle seems to have gone although I am now running with stowage in the boot & hidden closets are now empty.

Update 3:

The Toyota garage greased up the rear brakes and it has reduced the rattling. The funny thing is that the noise was only noticeable in the driving seat.

Having a large open boot area on the Avensis tourer does not help with keeping the noise down.

Update 3:

The Toyota garage greased up the rear brakes and it has reduced the rattling. The funny thing is that the noise was only noticeable in the driving seat.

Having a large open boot area on the Avensis tourer does not help with keeping the noise down.

Thanks for the reply, it will be interesting how you get on.

Just been getting hold of each brake caliper in turn and shaking from side to side. The rear ones are very tight and do not have play in them, the fronts however do have play in them and make a horrible rattling sound. This will explain why when I apply braking over bumpy roads the noise isn't present. I think the slider pins are dry, does anyone know if toyota grease these when replacing the pads?

Spearfish, Valvematic. My concern with this is that grease is a lubricant and not intended to secure things to prevent them rattling. I wonder whether the symptom has been treated rather than the cause. I think you have premature wear in your calipers - especially you Spearfish. There is no way these pins should have worn in 7k miles. Keep a close eye on the situation. I fear you may be asked to pay for replacement parts in the future when there may have been a warranty claim in order now.

Spearfish, Valvematic. My concern with this is that grease is a lubricant and not intended to secure things to prevent them rattling. I wonder whether the symptom has been treated rather than the cause. I think you have premature wear in your calipers - especially you Spearfish. There is no way these pins should have worn in 7k miles. Keep a close eye on the situation. I fear you may be asked to pay for replacement parts in the future when there may have been a warranty claim in order now.

Unfortunately I am out of warranty, seems a common issue this across all marques and the fix is to grease the slider pins or replace if excessively worn. My car has only covered 23K.

What are they making these things from? Chocolate?

If it was me, out of warranty, I would be greasing it up and living with it. Its not going to fail, its just an inconvenience. I, like you, would be very unimpressed though. I may even let Toyota know how unimpressed I am - they may even offer a deal.

If it was me, out of warranty, I would be greasing it up and living with it. Its not going to fail, its just an inconvenience. I, like you, would be very unimpressed though. I may even let Toyota know how unimpressed I am - they may even offer a deal.

I mentioned it Toyota UK, I have to take my car to a dealer and pay £30 for them to inspect it and then they may contribute as a goodwill gesture. As it is brake related and they are classed as consumables I figured it would be like putting £30 down the drain. :giljotiini:

Yeah, maybe but with such low mileage the pads shouldn't need work never mind the callipers. There's no guarantees though so I guess its a case of flipping the coin. Gamble £30 on maybe getting a deal or just live with it and hope it doesn't get to a point where you have to fix it. I dunno. £30 to have a professional view of the state of your brakes is nothing if you aren't a handy mechanic. If you are a handy mechanic £30 is a tidy night in the pub.

I have contacted my local independant garage, they will service the front two calipers for £30, basically strip them down, check, clean and grease the slider pins wth red grease. Took car down a very bumpy road tonight trailing the brakes, no noise.

Sounds like £30 very well spent. Love to know what they have to say about the rattle/wear.